"Sleep" games + download queue?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
I thought both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One could sort of 'sleep' games like you can on Playstation Portable, Vita, DS, 3DS, etc.?

If so, how do you do that one One?  There's a setting in "power and startup" that says "Resume games quickly (BETA)". 

Do you check that, leave power mode to "instant-on", and then when you turn it "off" the game is really asleep?  Don't want to use it if it's in beta though.

It's sort of more confusing than I assumed it would be, given how simple it is on the portables.

Also I guess the only way to get to the download queue is "My games & Apps" tile, then "queue"?  And I guess that's the only place that shows you what's on the hard drive too?

While I'm at it, I've had Ryse's insane update queued since last night, and I guess if instant on and background download are both on, then when I turn the system "off" it keeps downloading, but DOESN'T do the disc install part?

Geez, just thought of another question...  the controller's got a microUSB port it looks like.  Does that mean it can be used as a wired controller like PS3/PS4?  Or is this like 360 where the jack is just for charging an optional battery pack?  (I assume it can't charge normal NiMH batteries though?  You'd need a proprietary pack?)

Sorry, this is all more complicated than I expected...

Last edited by a moderator:
While I cannot answer most of those as I lack an Xbox One, I do know that if you have the wired cable for the controller it does make it into a wired controller.  It actually shuts down the wireless function, unlike the way the play and charge did not for the Xbox 360.  This means that special edition controllers like the TitanFall controller can be made into wired controller.  It's good news for those serious gamers who use wired controllers, as you now have preference.  There's a video with Major Nelson and one of the controller designers where he explains this (I think you can find it on the Xbox 360 dashboard).

I do think you'd need the proprietary play and charge kit for this to work, though. 

Edit:

Even better, you don't need batteries in the controller, just the cable, for it to work as a wired controller. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One could sort of 'sleep' games like you can on Playstation Portable, Vita, DS, 3DS, etc.?

If so, how do you do that one One? There's a setting in "power and startup" that says "Resume games quickly (BETA)".

Do you check that, leave power mode to "instant-on", and then when you turn it "off" the game is really asleep? Don't want to use it if it's in beta though.

It's sort of more confusing than I assumed it would be, given how simple it is on the portables.
Yeah I think that was more a bullet point from E3 that got erased on the white board so to speak when Microsoft changed their direction for the Xbox One.

bread's done
Back