Slim PS2 question....

jpuma1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So a friend of mine was considering buying a slim PS2 as a backup to his old one, because the old one has logged many thousands of hours and is slightly acting up a bit, also esp. since you could get a slim one for only $100 if you want.

My brother had heard something about the slim PS2s having some overheating problem, or something about them not having as long a shelf life as the older models. is this true? anyone?

It would probably help if you had plenty of space around it and kept it from getting too dusty. I wonder if having the vertical stand would keep it cooler since there would be more air around it?

I've had mine for over a year and no major problems. I had a namco demo disc act up, but no actual games.

The thing heats up pretty quickly, but it cools down just as quick.

[quote name='jpuma1']So a friend of mine was considering buying a slim PS2 as a backup to his old one, because the old one has logged many thousands of hours and is slightly acting up a bit, also esp. since you could get a slim one for only $100 if you want.

My brother had heard something about the slim PS2s having some overheating problem, or something about them not having as long a shelf life as the older models. is this true? anyone?[/QUOTE]

Where can you get a slim PS2 for 100 bucks?

I've had mine for over a year, and haven't had any problems and it is quiter than the fatty PS2 as well.

Often times I leave my pstwo on over night when I watch a movie as I am too lazy to turn it off. And it has never had "overheating" problems.

So far, my PStwo has been running perfectly... I've had it since it was released. I've had it run for 2-3 hours at times without any problems. The PS2 didn't last that long without a problem.

I bought my slim PS2 in August of last year. Two weeks ago while playing some Tekken 5, the game started stuttering on me. I knew that it could've not been the disc because I had just recently bought it brand new. I get up to check the disc anyway but before I got there I heard this horrible grinding noise of doom followed up by a burning smell. I already knew that it wasn't good. I powered off the system and left it alone for about 2 hours. Mind you that I had not been playing for a long peroid of time or anything.

After 2 hours, I turn on the system. No problems so far. I put in a different game and it starts checking, checking, checking and soon after it tells me that there is no data could be found on the disc. I have heard of people having DRE (Disc Read Errors) but I had never heard of it not finding any data on discs. I even tried a CD and DVD and I got the same results. Bottom line was that my PS2 had gone kaput. Afterwards, I sold the broken PS2 to Gamestop for $45 which was more than I was expecting. I think the GS employee made a mistake and she just let it go.

I then proceeded to go to Gamecrazy and get me a refurbished fat PS2 for $100 and for an additional $20 I added a guarantee that if anything happens to my PS2, I can just take it back and get another one. The fat Ps2 that I have now is a SCPH 30001 model and so far it has been working like a charm. It also reminded me how much better the fat PS2 is than the slim PS2. The slim gets pretty warm if you play for more than an hour or so since it doesn't have the nice fan that the fat PS2 has.

Overall I think the old PS2 is better than the slim Ps2. Needless to say, I was dissapointed with the slim PS2, especially since I always take good care of my systems and all. I hope this has helped in some way.

[quote name='stnkygrngo']Looks like the Moral of the story is..........The only Fat thing in your life should be a Fat PS2!!![/quote]

And your steak. :cool:

I have had no problems with my slim PS2, but I miss 'Old Fatty'. I actually used the link cable to play linked Armored Core, and I used the harddrive bay in the back to house my *ahem* herbal gaming suppliments. =p

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Where can you get a slim PS2 for 100 bucks?[/quote]

I thought there was something at FYE with a rebate, but that might be dead by now

I have 2 slimlines. No problems with either of them. One of them has the Joytech 8" screen attached for extra heating capacity, but it hasn't been a problem at all (just be sure the vents aren't blocked).

In case you are paranoia... ;)

comptick_1896_4685833

http://www.comptick.com/nocopadwi3fa.html

bread's done
Back