slow ass computer

v1et r1ce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I don't know whats wrong with my laptop...

For about the past week or two, my laptop has been running really really really slow. After turning it on and putting in my password, it shows a black screen for about a good 5 minutes before showing my desktop background/icons/taskbar. Then, while using it, itll occasionally freeze for a few seconds to a few minutes for no reason, like while using AIM and Skype, my messaging boxes will freeze when someone IMs me and I try to click on it to check it. I've tried cleaning my computer (defrag, disc cleanup, ccleaner, spybot, avg) but nothings worked yet.

Anyone have any idea whats going on?

What I usually have opened is AIM, yahoo messenger, skype, chrome, and zune.

EDIT: I bought this sometime during summer of 2009. specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2.00 GHz (3MB cache)
4GB DDR2 (2x2GB)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 (512MB DDR3 VRAM)
320GB HD

[quote name='SpazX']Format, reinstall everything.

You're welcome.[/QUOTE]

That won't help if the HD is dying. OP should run a disk check first. Also, run Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Start, run, type in msconfig. Go to start up and see what's checked. Uncheck anything you don't need starting.

Zune is a major resource hog. I hate using it and I only use it to sync my Zune HD. Otherwise I use itunes

My Mac has been running slow lately too.

It really acts up when I go to a youtube links heavy thread. It locks up like a 386. I don't know if that because of my slow internet or my computer.

[quote name='slickkill77']Start, run, type in msconfig. Go to start up and see what's checked. Uncheck anything you don't need starting.
[/QUOTE]

pretty much solves everyones' computer problem. also run disk check, defrag, antivirus. System restore if you have to. Oh, and stop going to those websites. You know what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the late reply guys. Been busy with school and stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into all of them and consider reformatting as my last option >.< I'll let you guys know what happens.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Oh, and stop going to those websites. You know what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

no

[quote name='slickkill77']Start, run, type in msconfig. Go to start up and see what's checked. Uncheck anything you don't need starting.[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion. Actually, you can pretty much uncheck everything except the antivirus, touchpad drivers (if laptop, look for alps, synaptics), and any file backup / server software you use (Carbonite, Tversity)

Extreme slowness can also be a sign of a failing HD. Sometimes Windows picks up on this, go to Control Panel, (Classic View if in Vista), Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. Open the "Windows Logs" tab, then the System section. Under the System tab, look for events that, under the "Source" section, say "Disk", the error level will be yellow or red (where it is usually white and says "Information"). If there's errors marked with Disk, you can open one up, it will say to the effect of "HD xxxxx has a bad block."

If you see these, it's basically Windows saying it's hit a bad sector of the HD (which can cause the machine to run extremely slow). If you don't see any Disk errors it doesn't mean the HD is good, this is just a quick way & easy way to find out a potential big problem.

If there are disk errors, you need to buy a new HD ASAP (they are cheap, maybe $50), and I wouldn't recommend using that PC until you backup the data you need.

If you want a more advanced tool for doing a complete scan of the HD, google Seatools. You download the ISO, burn to CD, and boot the system from the CD. It's a program that doesn't run off Windows that does a complete sector scan.

[quote name='BigPopov']Extreme slowness can also be a sign of a failing HD. Sometimes Windows picks up on this, go to Control Panel, (Classic View if in Vista), Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. Open the "Windows Logs" tab, then the System section. Under the System tab, look for events that, under the "Source" section, say "Disk", the error level will be yellow or red (where it is usually white and says "Information"). If there's errors marked with Disk, you can open one up, it will say to the effect of "HD xxxxx has a bad block."

If you see these, it's basically Windows saying it's hit a bad sector of the HD (which can cause the machine to run extremely slow). If you don't see any Disk errors it doesn't mean the HD is good, this is just a quick way & easy way to find out a potential big problem.

If there are disk errors, you need to buy a new HD ASAP (they are cheap, maybe $50), and I wouldn't recommend using that PC until you backup the data you need.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got a few errors marked with Disk.....
So is there a certain HD I need to buy depending on other parts of my laptop, or will any HD work? Also, any good tutorials on installing a HD?

Assuming you don't have a really old laptop with an IDE HD (6+ yrs), you can use any SATA 2.5" HD. WD generally makes the highest rated HDs. Blacks are faster/better than Blues, but run a little hotter. From Newegg.com:

160GB Blue (cheapest if u are on a budget) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136391
250GB Black (fine if you dont use much space) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279
500GB Black (+ $10 off promo code) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136692

Most laptops will have the HD docked on the bottom of the machine, or as a tray that pulls off one of the sides of the laptop. It's pretty basic plug and play. (a google search on the model of your PC + "hard drive installation" will probably yield you picture walk through of your exact model)

Windows has to be reinstalled, which is the easy part if you have your Windows CD. If you don't, let me know what version Windows you have based on the sticker at the bottom of the laptop (XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center, Vista Home Basic, etc) and I can get you a download link to burn a Windows disc (Microsoft provides the disc downloads free, it's the product key that is unique.)

The only complicated (not really) part is transferring the data (which is a little easier since you have Windows running, you can transfer the files to a flash drive, if you have a shitload of files and no way to dump them LMK I'll suggest a good transfer kit to purchase.) And installing the drivers after Windows is installed.

Post your laptop's model.

Yeah I was looking at that 250GB drive. I think that'll be fine because I plan on buying a new laptop anyway and giving this one to a relative.

I have an MSI EX625 laptop, and I tried to google it but nothing :(

When I bought it, it came with Vista, but I've since then upgraded to 7 Professional, so I just wanna make sure I can get that back. Any data I have I think I can just transfer to my external.

if I was giving it away I'd just buy the blue. lol

This is a little workaround I have discovered to install a FRESH copy of Windows 7 using an upgrade DVD

1. From a fresh installation make sure you uncheck "Active when online" and do not enter an activation code during installation
2. Once Windows 7 installs go to the following registy key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE" and change the value of MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
3. Open command prompt (make sure you select run as administrator) and type in the following command "slmgr -rearm"
4. Reboot windows
5. Go to the systems properties page and active windows with the upgrade key
6. Windows will now activate properly

Thanks! I'll remember to do that when I put the new HD in.

Btw, do you know if my model is just popping the HD out and putting it in? Or do I gotta screw it out and stuff.

[quote name='BigPopov']if I was giving it away I'd just buy the blue. lol

This is a little workaround I have discovered to install a FRESH copy of Windows 7 using an upgrade DVD

1. From a fresh installation make sure you uncheck "Active when online" and do not enter an activation code during installation
2. Once Windows 7 installs go to the following registy key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE" and change the value of MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
3. Open command prompt (make sure you select run as administrator) and type in the following command "slmgr -rearm"
4. Reboot windows
5. Go to the systems properties page and active windows with the upgrade key
6. Windows will now activate properly[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back