Slow downloads from PSN. And a possible solution

torifile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I just got my Vita and a 32 gb memory card today. Naturally, I did what any self-respecting gamer should do and loaded up on the PS+ free games for the week. I started with Oddworld. 1.4 gigs. Shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes or so, right?

Things seemed slow so I thought it was my internet, but I ran a speed test and it came back like it always does: pretty good. Not great, but not pathetically slow either. 

Well, I left the download, fretted over the slow seeming speeds. Had dinner, watched a Homeland episode and came back 2 hours later and it was still downloading. Are you kidding me?

I thought it was PSN at first. Everyone knows it's slower than molasses in winter, yada yada. So I tethered to my phone for the last 500 megs (I have a 12 gig plan so it won't kill me this month) just to see. The download finished in a screaming fast way. Like 5 minutes for the last 500 megs.

So, it's not the PSN. And it's not my internet in general.

Did some googling and read about setting up a proxy server. I set it up on my Mac (using SquidMan) and then changed the network settings to use the proxy server. 

BAM! Uncharted, all 3 gigs, downloaded in 28 minutes. 

What gives? Same internet connection, just through a proxy on my computer. Any ideas why this works? The only thing I can think is that my ISP is throttling PS traffic (the problem exists on both my PS3 and PS Vita and the solution has been working on both, as well). Any ideas?

There's a power save mode setting in SETTINGS, I can't remember off-hand which it is, but look through there, it should be pretty obvious. Basically it makes sure your wifi stays connected while in standby (or at least, that's what it's SUPPOSED to do).

My Vita is very hit or miss. It downloaded The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (1.2GB) in like 10 minutes, but then a 600MB file too like 15...so...maybe it's the files, maybe it's the servers, maybe it's just my Vita, who knows :p

There's a power save mode setting in SETTINGS, I can't remember off-hand which it is, but look through there, it should be pretty obvious. Basically it makes sure your wifi stays connected while in standby (or at least, that's what it's SUPPOSED to do).

My Vita is very hit or miss. It downloaded The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (1.2GB) in like 10 minutes, but then a 600MB file too like 15...so...maybe it's the files, maybe it's the servers, maybe it's just my Vita, who knows :p
I did this already. And the problem is evident on my PS3, too. It's definitely something related to my PS* devices.

bread's done
Back