Slow Motion at it's Best (John Woo's Stranglehold)

duckymcfly99

CAGiversary!
While having only 20 bucks and some change in my pocket at "Zombie Apocalypse 'R Us" (aka Walmart), I decided to grab a cheap game. The only good games were,

1. Mercenaries 2
2. Stranglehold
3. A bunch of games for the PS3 that looked AWESOME

I decided to get Stranglehold because it promised action, adventure, slow motion cart riding, and because I don't have a PS3. "Sounds fun..." I say to myself, then I though "Man I want pizza...".

STORY: So these cop guys are all like "There needs to be a guy down at this one place so we can stop these thug bitches." So Investigator Tequila (Chow Yong Fat) goes down, shoots up a bunch of dudes, flies in slow-motion through the air, and finds this plot to like... You know, I couldn't really grab the story, all you need to know is that you shoot a lot of people.

GAMEPLAY: The graphics look okay, but hey, its an older game so cut it some slack. The Unreal Engine works great in this. Wood splinters, dudes die in creative ways, and you can shoot people in the balls and it shows them reacting! The sound is really repetitive when you get down to it. It's awesome to hear the orchestra play intense music as you rape some bad guy face, but not when you can't find the next "drug table" or "C4 Planting Space". Also, THERE IS NO JUMP! It is very annoying to just waste ammo on shooting things to solve "puzzles". When in doubt shoot like a wild man.

About that sound, it is kinda stinky. It has this very annoying habit of getting really quiet when there should be loud booms and bangs and "AHHH MY NUTS JUST GOT SHOT OFF!".

The guns are either you shoot fast with a big gun or a little one, or you shoot slow with a small or big gun. We need more guns! Not just the typical assault rifle, pistol, really strong gun, and shot gun.

When you think multiplayer, you think halo 3, gears of war, call of duty, right? Well I obviously don't think of freakin' Chow Young FREAKIN' Fat! Don't get me wrong, it's okay at best, but it's really just like a standard now-a-days.

The best part, and I mean best part, is the visuals. Taking an a simile out of Yahtzee's playbook, "The visuals jump on your face, hump it, and shoot visual beauties into your eyes. It means it looks good." As I said, the Unreal Engine is great! Everything shatters, there's bullet holes, the dudes react to you, you can see the bullets fly by you when it goes into a slow motion stage. The only bad thing is that the thing kinda just chugs a little when the visuals get a little heavy. I noticed this when I went to the "Mega Restaurant". It just kinda does this.

"I'M RUNNING LIKE fuckING GOD HERE!" (Bullets are going around the room like little gnats) then out of no where "OH SWEET JESUS! WHAT THE HELL! WHA...AHHH!"

FINAL WORDS: When you look at it first you think, "Oh yay... another generic shooter.", but it isn't. The slow motion is an awesome way to take a look at the destruction you have just created with your guns and the bodies of your enemies. There were a couple of snags in the game but it was good overall.

Thanks everyone and don't forget to rate!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back