Sly Cooper Collection for PS3. Playable in HD and in 3D.

Though there has been talk about "looking into" adding 3D to the first 2 if time premits - which I'm guessing it probably won't. I don't think people are really looking for a HD version of a PS2 game for the 3D experience. It's more of a nice extra. Sony did make a huge point of separating things built for 3D and things late adapted for 3D.

Technically Microsoft was the first to abandon backwards compatability, followed by Sony, and than Nintendo followed suit with no GBA BC when they released the DSi. Lets be logical here though, does it make sense from a business stand point to have systems be backwards compatible? It only fuels USED game sales. There are no more new X-Box games coming out and the PS2 games are being released in limited quantities that we could say its on Life Support.

Also, out of the three gaming companies out there Goemar I have to say that Sony seems to be the lease greedy company out there. Out of all three systems I feel that I have a better value with the PS3 than my Wii or 360. Free online playing, game sharing PSN games with friends, built in wi-fi from the get-go, built in Play and Charge kit, no proprietary over priced hard drive, all PS Move First Party titles to be $39.99. The only thing you can knock Sony for from a consumer price point of view is the Dual Shock 3 controller is MSRP $54.99, $5.00 more than Microsofts X-Box Controller and $5.00 less than a complete Wii controller.

So if Sony or any other company wants to re-master a game in HD to re-release it than you need to take a look at the majority of Arcade and PSN games from other publishers on X-box Live or PSN. Sly Cooper is Sony's property and since they are no longer manufacturing PS2 games, why not let the consumer have the option to buy it re-mastered in HD on their current platform? Why would they just make the system backwards compatible for Game Stop to make all the current profits for their game?

Anyways, if Sony was whoring out every PS2 first party game I can see your complaint, but this is their second confirmed collection and both collections are highly rated games. My only question is if this has been confirmed for a disc-release or a PSN download only? I saw a listing on Amazon for the disc-based, but the trailer has PSN all over the place and Sony has not said anything about the release date for the item.

[quote name='KingBroly']I've never played the Sly games (I'm guessing a lot of other people haven't either) so it seems like a really good deal (if it's $40, which I assume it will be). But I guess I'll wait and see what the Trophy list is like.[/QUOTE]

this game will be $60.

[quote name='Davestation']Anyways, if Sony was whoring out every PS2 first party game I can see your complaint, but this is their second confirmed collection and both collections are highly rated games. My only question is if this has been confirmed for a disc-release or a PSN download only? I saw a listing on Amazon for the disc-based, but the trailer has PSN all over the place and Sony has not said anything about the release date for the item.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And this will definitely be a disc based game, just like the GOW collection.

Here's the trailer for any that haven't seen it. They really did a nice job updating the visuals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiMBnzi0P4

Damn that looks pretty good. I don't want this because you could lose 60+ hours to this collection and I just don't have that kind of time. Sly 1 and 2 were great - I never played 3.

Isn't it kinda strange that they've only shown footage and pics of Sly 3? As a very big Sly Cooper fan, this has me worried about the state of the other 2 titles.

[quote name='pram12']Isn't it kinda strange that they've only shown footage and pics of Sly 3? As a very big Sly Cooper fan, this has me worried about the state of the other 2 titles.[/QUOTE]

Why would you be worried exactly? All three are coming, and they're all being remastered the same way and by the same team. The main reason they're showing off the 3rd is it's the only one that currently has 3D support and obviously Sony has been pushing that heavily.

Even supposing that the first and second aren't as close to finished as the 3rd, the game isn't coming out till November. That's plenty of time for them to finish up the remastering.

I'm sure it'll go down soon after it's released, but I still stand by the fact that the price is fine when you compare it to the price that the God of War Collection came out as.

As was the God of War collection. Surely the quickly dropping price is evidence that it's over-priced - just saying.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']"All the..."? This is only the second one. Besides, I'm all for it. I've never played this or the God of War games (before the collection was released), so it gives me an incentive to play these games. I hope Jak and Ratchet collections are on the way too.[/QUOTE]

Ratchet games would be awesome. Never played Jak, but I'd probably play those too.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yes because the majority of games don't drop in price after they're released....What dumb logic[/QUOTE]

Not as quickly as ones which are generally believed to be over priced or generally bad. God of War dropped down quickly and Haze (as an example of a bad game) dropped down so fast it was staggering. This won't be full price for very long at all.

How do you guys know its $60? Sure Amazon lists it at that price but GS lists it at $40. And though you may hate them, GS is a reliable source in terms of pricing.

It would be awesome if it was 39.99. I'll probably pre-order from GS now in case it is an error. How is Gamestop with that sort of thing anyway. If I pre-order it for $39.99, will they honor it, even if it's really $59.99, or will they cancel it?

I think they email you letting you know the price has changed asking if you still want it. That's what Amazon does (unless the price goes down, and you simply pay the lower price).

New blog article at the Sony blog written by the makers of the game. They show comparisons between the PS2 and PS3 versions for ALL of the games, not just 3. So that person who was concerned about them only showing pt 3, no need to worry

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...s3-your-favorite-sly-titles-remastered-in-hd/

Click below to see a comparison

PS2 version

4750659866_3e62e1dac9_b.jpg

PS3 version

4750017487_493bf177ee_b.jpg

[quote name='ssjmichael']New blog article at the Sony blog written by the makers of the game. They show comparisons between the PS2 and PS3 versions for ALL of the games, not just 3. So that person who was concerned about them only showing pt 3, no need to worry

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...s3-your-favorite-sly-titles-remastered-in-hd/

Click below to see a comparison

PS2 version

4750659866_3e62e1dac9_b.jpg

PS3 version

4750017487_493bf177ee_b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I only check PS Blog occasionally so I could've missed it for a long time.

EDIT: I just looked at the blog post and all 3 are still from Sly 3. I heard the studio was getting all the high-res assets from SP (they had to dumb it down for PS2) so maybe that is why they're only showing Sly 3?

[quote name='pram12']EDIT: I just looked at the blog post and all 3 are still from Sly 3. I heard the studio was getting all the high-res assets from SP (they had to dumb it down for PS2) so maybe that is why they're only showing Sly 3?[/QUOTE]

Oh really? Sorry about that then. I haven't played through all the games so I wouldn't know. I looked at the names on the flickr page and they were: "Sly Cooper 2 PS3" (same for 1 and 3). I guess they were just numbering the pics, though they ordered it 1, 3, 2. I don't know why they're not showing the other 2. I still wouldn't be concerned about it though, still a lot of time left.

[quote name='Goemar']As was the God of War collection. Surely the quickly dropping price is evidence that it's over-priced - just saying.[/QUOTE]

No, God of War Collection quickly became a Greatest Hits title and is now at $30.

Wow, somehow I missed this news before.

I have actually only played Sly 3 (completed it, too). But like the Jak and Ratchet series (I completed Jak 1 and played parts of II and III, but only about 1 hour of the first Ratchet), I actually own all the games for the PS2. Realistically, I was never going to go back and play them. But I probably would play this re-release the HD remix and trophy support. Sure, no way would I get this for $60, but I'll get it eventually.

[quote name='Goemar']I think they email you letting you know the price has changed asking if you still want it. That's what Amazon does (unless the price goes down, and you simply pay the lower price).[/QUOTE]

Actually if you pre-order with Amazon at 59.99 and it go's up to 89.99 you still get it for 59.99 :p They lock the price for you at the point you pre-order it unless it go's down.. in which case they lower it and let you know... Gamestop will tell you the price went up and to cancel it if you don't want it.

You can stop whining about the price, as Sony announced that The Sly Collection will retail for $39.99 with all three games having 3D support and a platinum trophy for each game:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/21/the-sly-collection-sneaking-into-retailers-for-39-99/

While fans may know Sly Cooper best for his sneaky and stealthy exploits on PlayStation 2, his latest heist will be on PlayStation 3 this fall in The Sly Collection with three re-mastered classics in HD…for less than the price of most retail games! We’re excited to announce that following in the tradition of the God of War Collection, The Sly Collection will be available this fall for just $39.99 MSRP.

And what does that one-penny-less-than-40 price tag get you? Let’s start with all three original Sly Cooper titles…this includes Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2: Band of Thieves and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, all re-mastered in glorious HD graphics.

Next, Sanzaru Games has added 3D support for all 3 games, as well as new PlayStation Move mini-games which you’ll be hearing more details about very soon. And finally, PSN trophy support will be integrated into the entire collection, with three platinum trophies up for grabs.

Sly’s return to PlayStation couldn’t be more grand, and The Sly Collection couldn’t be more complete. We’ll be showing off The Sly Collection this week at San Diego Comic-Con (July 22-25), so be sure to come over to the PlayStation booth and check it out. And, as always, keep coming back to the blog for more information about the The Sly Collection.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Three platinum trophies... :drool:[/QUOTE]

All that's standing in your way from all 3 is a $49.99 vibrator, a $39.99 camera and a $29.99 "sub" controller.

Just a guess, by the way.

I'm really impressed that it's only 39.99. That's an amazing deal for 3 games. I'm going to pre-order it at GS and use that 20 off 80 coupon to make it even better

[quote name='KingBroly']All that's standing in your way from all 3 is a $49.99 vibrator, a $39.99 camera and a $29.99 "sub" controller.

Just a guess, by the way.[/QUOTE]

Move isn't required but nice trollish comment nonetheless

New $40 price sounds a crap load better than $60. Still going to wait for it to drop though, not like there's a rush for these or anything.

I mean with the God of War collection I know a lot of people picked it up who hadn't played them but were interested in God of War 3 and so wanted to complete them before the third one came out. While with this as there's no Sly round the corner I can see it being brought by people who have already played the games (well at least one of them).

I preordered it at Amazon when they finally caught up and dropped the price the other day. I played Sly 3 on the PS2 and kind of sort of wanted to play the others but realistically was never going to do that (even though I own them all) with so many PS3/360/Wii/DS games to play also. But the enhancements (HD, trophies) and convenience (all on one disc for the PS3) of this is a great incentive to go back and play them all. Plus I'm sure my son will love it too - he keeps bugging me for new games to play that are of this sort and is even going back and playing a few Gamecube games himself. So this will be perfect for both of us.

I would have bought this day 1, but after seeing the God of War Collection and Episodes from Libery City drop quickly (even if only $10), I will wait for a similar drop. Unless for some reason they have a limited production run (highly doubtful).

Releasing soon bump!

Sly Cooper Collection comes out in two days (11/9). Preordered from Amazon for $35 (gold box)... I know I could wait for a price drop, but $5 off a $40 new release isn't too shabby. This will be my first Sly Cooper experience (other than trying the demo for the first game ages ago) so I'm looking forward to it.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']I'm all for these. Between HD, 3D, and trophy support, it's great for those who missed out, and I for one am really hoping to see a SOCOM collection announced tomorrow. Doubtful, but it would definitely be a day 1 pickup for me.[/QUOTE]

OMG Socom never even crossed my mind, they should DEFINITELY port a SOCOM 1 I probably wont play any other game again.

But it might be because these games are SCEA games? I don't know.

This is going to be interesting! Personally, I have NEVER played the Sly Cooper series, but I have always wanted to, so now I'll be able to. I wish they would do the same with Ratchet and Clank...

hmm, wonder why newegg has a release date of 11/16 for this. Was going to order from there since they don't charge tax in ny unlike Amazon and GS. Probably just an error I guess.

[quote name='ssjmichael']hmm, wonder why newegg has a release date of 11/16 for this. Was going to order from there since they don't charge tax in ny unlike Amazon and GS. Probably just an error I guess.[/QUOTE]

The release date was switched or something. They talked about it a bit in the Kmart thread if your really interested why the 11/16 date may be there. But it should officially be releasing on the 9th now.

I am going to get it as well. Never got to play Sly. I think the Kmart deal with game coupon is the deal for me. I expect them to give Ratchet the same treatment.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Fun games, but played all of them on the PS2 and don't think I have a need to play them again.[/QUOTE]

For me, I've probably played Sly 1 3 times, Sly 2 like 8 times, and Sly 3 like 6 times.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I am going to get it as well. Never got to play Sly. I think the Kmart deal with game coupon is the deal for me. I expect them to give Ratchet the same treatment.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think this collection is worth a day one purchase (even though I never played any of the Sly games) but that Kmart deal is tempting...

[quote name='Vinny']I really don't think this collection is worth a day one purchase (even though I never played any of the Sly games) but that Kmart deal is tempting...[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I see it going to 29 at the lowest for a very long time though (not counting used or trades), so the 10 bucks "earned" at the front end is about the same. I may pass just due to my backlog... trying to decide still. :lol:

Bleh - for some reason it is showing an estimated delivery date of Dec. 3rd on my Amazon order - and that is with 2-day Prime shipping applied to the order. They also haven't refunded me the $1 it has dropped prior to release (it is now $38.99).

Hmm did this get pushed back a bit? I see gamefly now has coming soon @ 11/12/10.. But they other day said it was coming out on the 9th.
Also I haven't seen any reviews for the game yet.

Also anyone noticed according to http://www.ps3trophies.org/ the mini games are listed as a separate listing, so I guess they arent included in the regular games?

bread's done
Back