http://eastore.ea.com/holiday

Notables:
Direct Download PC Games:
Mass Effect $9.99
Sims 2 Double Deluxe $14.95
Various Sims 2 expansions: $14.95
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3: $14.95
Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath $14.95

Physical titles (free standard shipping)
Mirror's Edge PC-DVD: $14.95
Burnout Paradise Xbox360/PS3: $14.95

I have an ulterior motive for posting this thread, too. I'm new to PC gaming, and I'm wondering if there is any downside to a direct download via the EA store, as all my friends are telling me to use Steam. Has anyone had any experience downloading through them?

I downloaded Mirror's Edge a few weeks back.

Few downsides:
-Must install EA Downloader program(similar to Steam in that it downloads and installs your games). The program runs at startup (can be changed though).
-There are install limits (unlike Steam). It's something like you can't install the game again after 1 year unless you call customer service.

The downsides aren't a big deal at all. If the prices seem right, then I say go ahead. I would always recommend Steam though. Steam is simple to use, has automatic updates, has great game sales, fast download speeds, etc. Steam is made by Valve (developer of Half Life, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead games) so that alone shows that Steam is reliable.

Already a post about this sale.

@EA store - I just don't trust EA enough for them to not give me a physical copy.

Mass Effect has been on sale lots lately and I'd expect that to continue in the lead up to ME2 coming out. I prefer both Steam and Direct2Drive over EA's store.

Buying Mass Effect from the EA Store is a huge mistake. Though it's similar to the prices offered by Steam and D2D, you're not exactly getting the same deal.

Just wait for another sale on Steam or D2D or buy a physical copy for slightly more money.

Mass Effect is now $10 on Gamestop/EBGames.com as a direct download, as well.
Should I update the OP?

bread's done
Back