Smallville...

kevzik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
So I stay up late some nights (tonight) and these random smallville episodes come on. This has happen twice now and they have kinda distracted me from what I was doing before. Anyway, I have still not really watched a full episode yet, but I need to know what you all think of the series. Is it worth getting into? I believe there are 5 seasons? 4 are out on dvd? The 6th is coming? I don't think getting a hold of the seasons would be too difficult either. Right now my 2 favorite shows (pretty much the only shows I watch) are The Office (NBC) and Lost. I know Lost and Smallville can't really be compared, but is the quality of the show near the greatness of Lost? Anyway, people seem to like it. Do you?

It has its moment but it can also be very annoying in that Clark Kent's life is in perpetual stasis. The one friend who knows his secret and is part of the Superman character lineup has been written out of the show. The other character who now knows and can be a confidante who provides more interesting conversations and scenery (Annette O'Toole was a major babe back in the day but that time is past. She was on Gunsmoke as a teenager!) is a character invented for the show and guaranteed to die at some point or suffer some drastic fate that removes her in name from Clark's adult life.

There was a theory that the Lois Lane on the show, who is Chloe's cousin, will be killed off and Chloe will adopt her identity to become a famous reporter. This kind of fell apart when Chloe took up working at the Daily Planet and barring a new face couldn't possibly have that many people keep her name change a secret. Chloe's a goner.

So some things drag on and on. The relationship between Clark and Lana needed to be ended for good a long time ago. The evolution of Lex Luthor is interesting but the number of times he has been lamely dissuaded from believing Clark has a big secret has become painful. Like the endless stories revolving around Superman maintaining his secret identity back in the 50s and 60s.

I'll be watching when the next season comes around if they don't create a scheduling conflict for me but some of this ongoing stuff is really trying my patience.

At least some of the actors are reasonably close to the ages they're supposed to be in the show. During the recent 'Superman Returns' I found it very distracting to have Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. She was 22 while shooting the movie and looks it. During the movie it's very disruptive to keep wondering how Lois Lane managed to get hired as a lead reporter in her early teens so that she was well established when Superman first appeared. The question then follows if there was any question of statutory rape since Lois is an unmarried mother who almost certainly had to have been impregnated by Cyclops (or somebody) before her 18th birthday.

[quote name='epobirs']It has its moment but it can also be very annoying in that Clark Kent's life is in perpetual stasis. The one friend who knows his secret and is part of the Superman character lineup has been written out of the show. The other character who now knows and can be a confidante who provides more interesting conversations and scenery (Annette O'Toole was a major babe back in the day but that time is past. She was on Gunsmoke as a teenager!) is a character invented for the show and guaranteed to die at some point or suffer some drastic fate that removes her in name from Clark's adult life.

There was a theory that the Lois Lane on the show, who is Chloe's cousin, will be killed off and Chloe will adopt her identity to become a famous reporter. This kind of fell apart when Chloe took up working at the Daily Planet and barring a new face couldn't possibly have that many people keep her name change a secret. Chloe's a goner.

So some things drag on and on. The relationship between Clark and Lana needed to be ended for good a long time ago. The evolution of Lex Luthor is interesting but the number of times he has been lamely dissuaded from believing Clark has a big secret has become painful. Like the endless stories revolving around Superman maintaining his secret identity back in the 50s and 60s.

I'll be watching when the next season comes around if they don't create a scheduling conflict for me but some of this ongoing stuff is really trying my patience.

At least some of the actors are reasonably close to the ages they're supposed to be in the show. During the recent 'Superman Returns' I found it very distracting to have Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. She was 22 while shooting the movie and looks it. During the movie it's very disruptive to keep wondering how Lois Lane managed to get hired as a lead reporter in her early teens so that she was well established when Superman first appeared. The question then follows if there was any question of statutory rape since Lois is an unmarried mother who almost certainly had to have been impregnated by Cyclops (or somebody) before her 18th birthday.[/quote]

The wife and I absolutely love the show, but you pretty much summed it up, epobirs.

I really, really want to see Lana die. She's done nothing but cause trouble throughout her time on the show. Chloe is, by far, a more interesting character.

This next season is going to be quite interesting. It seems it will be the first season where a true super villain comes around. I just hope they don't end the first episode like they usually do - bring the storyline right back to where it was before the problem began. I hate when they do that.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']The wife and I absolutely love the show, but you pretty much summed it up, epobirs.

I really, really want to see Lana die. She's done nothing but cause trouble throughout her time on the show. Chloe is, by far, a more interesting character.

This next season is going to be quite interesting. It seems it will be the first season where a true super villain comes around. I just hope they don't end the first episode like they usually do - bring the storyline right back to where it was before the problem began. I hate when they do that.[/QUOTE]

Notice how much sexier Chloe has become in the last season? It's like they decided she didn't have to be a wallflower any more. Her bit during the title sequence should have text that reads "New and Improved! Now with Cleavage!"

She fits into the long television tradition of having everybody be far more attractive than any collection of corresponding people would be in real life. We're supposed to believe a merely cute female like Allison Mack was a wallflower who compensated by filling her life with the school paper. If someone merely average appears they're treated as borderline hideous.

That sort of thing always bothers me. About every five years a movie will be made where a tenage boy is obsessed with an unobtainable blonde while the brunette he's known since early childhood has turned out absolutely gorgeous and interested, yet invisible to him. One such was 'My Secret Admirer' and more recently 'The Trojan War.' The latter is pretty funny but I find impossible to believe the girl next door could turn into Jennifer Love Hewitt without a teenage male noticing in a big way. Even if he's gay he'll take notice if only to take charge of her wardrobe decisions.

My wife and I caught a marathon of the show when we were at her parent's house for Thanksgiving (I think) a couple of years ago. She loved it, so I got her a couple of the DVD sets that Christmas and have kept her caught up since then. Meanwhile, I've yet to watch a single one of the DVDs.

It's not horrible, but it's pretty much Superman as a soap opera.

The writing and the direction of the show is really pretty stale IMO. Like argyle just said it seems to play out like a teenage soap opera too much. There's little action or suspense involved and when they try to do it, it's highly predictable and sometimes just outright redunant. Also it doesn't jive with all the lure very much, or to use the words of Penny Arcade, "that s**t ain't canonical," somtimes. Put simply IMO it's basically just the OC with comic book characters.

It's sad, but I think that the better episodes of Smallville are superior to Superman Returns. At least in Smallville some type of emotion is elicited in the viewer, good or bad.

some of the episodes are incredible. Some are ok to watch, and some are horrible. For the most part I enjoy watching the series.

Its oh so predictable, but for some reason i love it.
Its my guilty pleasure that i would never admit. That and recently Veronica Mars (so beautiful).

It's Dawson's Creek with superpowers. Or in other words "Pretty white kids with problems...and superpowers"

For all of those that don't get the reference:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFVN-tb7p98[/media]

[quote name='kevzik']So theres more drama than action?[/QUOTE]

I think theres a little more but its a nice balance. This is definitely the 4th best show ever behind 24, entourage, and tom and bean.

Friend and I went from sort of watching it to watching it like religious fanatics every thursday, at its worst the show can have you banging your head against the wall uttering WHY GOD WHY?! , at its best nothing else on can top it. Don't expect Clark to be the reason you'll watch the show though, sure the superman thing is nice and all but Lex and Lionel really carry the show.

theres to much action to say its just a soap infact its a sci fi/action/drama

I hope that lana moves away or something I want her off the show her acting skills are poor as hell she just smiles or makes a frustraited face her charactor has been played out for awhile.

The lex charactor is suffering cuase hes actualy the best charactor/actor on the show but they lead us to belive he knows pretty much everything over and over again yet he doesnt do anything about it say anything about it even tho hes faced with it over and over again.
Yet when clark saves the day behind his back he acts like wtf just hapend he should be able to figure things out by now shoudlnt he??

The overall writing on the show has been going a lil downhill but overall this show is one of the best on television.
Hopefuly we can get some movement next season due to the superman movie and they will quit going back and forth constantly with the story.

i haven't watched the show since season 2. i just went on imdb and saw that pete ross was done in 2004 and jonathan kent was done in 2005. did they kill off these 2 characters on the show? i thought these 2 characters were still in the movies when clark was an adult? can someone give me some spoilers?

Anyone still watching it?
Last week episode was great, it wasn't clark all that time lol.

this last season is all over the map. the last 2 seasons overall have had some cool episodes but too much of this series is damn emo with all that shit between lana and clark and lex. its been kinda cool since theybe started introducing other heros and villans and such but the love triangle shit just gets so old. i keep hoping at some point they will get into him training but eh i dont see it happening. id say rent it or borrow it first.

id suggest watching supernatural. i think its the best show the cw has and its been coming into its own of late. not to mention if you like folklore, folktales and monster stuff its a cool watch to see how they use old stories and stuff.

Well i am waiting for him to go to training too, also to learn some stuff from jorel. The season aint over yet tho, so who knows they might get around to it.

bread's done
Back