Smash Bros. Brawl Controller preference poll

Classic Controller with custom button layout. Apparently I didn't play enough Melee cause the wavebird felt awkward to me. Took me like an hour of playing and tweaking to get the controls right.
-G

Wavebird. Why mess with perfection. I do use the wimote for menus, adding friends, and ocassionally target tests (to save wavebird's batteries).

I switched from Wiimote to remote + nunchuk last night. Takes some getting used to, so I can't say which I prefer yet. I don't have the problem of accidentally hitting the shield button (B) while holding the remote sideways at least. Nunchuk control is definitely more comfortable, but I need to adjust to using an analog stick instead of a d-pad for everything.

Wiimote + Nunchuck:

A = Attack
Down-Cross = Special
B = Jump
Z = Shield
c = Special

Taunts on the Up / Left / Right Cross.

If you never tried it, then you'll never know. Wouldn't have considered it if my boss didn't rave about it all day at work on Monday.

[quote name='bmulligan']Shouldn't there be another option in the poll? Wii mote can be used with the nunchuck, or by itself sideways.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I suppose so. If you use any type of wiimote setup, just select that...unless someone knows how to edit a poll.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Wiimote + Nunchuck:

A = Attack
Down-Cross = Special
B = Jump
Z = Shield
c = Special

Taunts on the Up / Left / Right Cross.[/quote]
I like using the control pad for smash attacks, because I'm lousy at consistently doing smashes with tap + A. Can someone tell me what's wrong with that setup?

--R.J.

Just dug out my Wavebird. I forgot how much I really like the Wavebird form and feel over the regular GC controller. Wavebird for me from now on.

I finally go to test them all. I actually play with the wii-remote. Maybe I'm just lazy,but it seems to work well. I could't get use to the classic controller. The gamecube controller is good for it of course.

I played with the Wiimote + Nunchuck and Classic Controller today, and I didn't really like the Classic Controller. However, I really like the Wiimote and Nunchuck, it seems to work really well for me. I also have some Wavebirds I can use if I feel like it, but I liked the Wiimote and chuck enough to not even bother with my Wavebirds so far.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Wiimote + Nunchuck:

A = Attack
Down-Cross = Special
B = Jump
Z = Shield
c = Special

Taunts on the Up / Left / Right Cross.

If you never tried it, then you'll never know. Wouldn't have considered it if my boss didn't rave about it all day at work on Monday.[/quote]

Hey, me too. Except I have jump as the down-cross and special on B. I love this control setup. Very comfortable and there is no c-stick for lazy smashes. I had given up on wiimote control schemes until I really sat down and messed with the configurations a bit. I think the default setups they give you are pretty poor.

I think I'm going to stick with the Wiimote + Nunchuck control. I've pretty much left it at default with taunts on the D-Pad and removed the defaulted tap to jump. Seems to work pretty well for me since I had a rather long session yesterday to adjust to the controls better.

Since my option isn't up in the poll, I guess I'll just refrain from voting.

I've gotten comfortable with Wiimote + nunchuk. Everything defaulted other than switching around Shield and Jump on the nunchuk, tap jump off.

[quote name='rjung']I like using the control pad for smash attacks, because I'm lousy at consistently doing smashes with tap + A. Can someone tell me what's wrong with that setup?

--R.J.[/quote]

The only thing that matters is whether or not your control scheme lets you school people.

Having said that, I went back to using a STANDARD GAMECUBE CONTROLLER. Don't ask me why, I'm sleep deprived and grouchy as shit.

wavebird works best for me, but i'm gonna try sticking with the wiimote + nunchuck. that's probably what i'll have to use at friend's house, cousin's party, etc.

The wiimote alone isn't bad, I tried it out for the first time earlier.

That said, I still prefer the classic controller

this is my first smash game, so im not used to any one thing. havent tried my GC controller yet, but i like the wiimote/chuck setup just fine.

[quote name='MarioColbert']The only thing that matters is whether or not your control scheme lets you school people.[/quote]
Well, I can't school anyone, as I'm a Smash noob. ;)

I can occasionally win a brawl by using Pikachu (mostly Dsmash and Thunder), but it's definitely not skillful fighting, and I get clobbered if I use anyone else. Gotta practice some more, I guess.

--R.J.

bread's done
Back