Smash Bros. Brawl vs Smash Bros. Melee

StarKnightX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
234 (100%)
Although I know that this debate has been done before , I feel like summoning it forth again. My brother has been arguing as of late that Smash Bros. Brawl is a failure compared to Melee (despite still liking the game and playing it a ton). He also stands that most people agree with him on this note. So I'm kinda curious where everyone else stand on the matter. While personally I don't think Brawl is worse than Melee , I don't think it's significantly better either. They both have things that make them good and bad.

So what does everyone else think? Let's try and keep this civil.;)

You should add a poll to this.

My son says Melee is better, but still enjoys Brawl. Too many things were tweaked in Melee to make it easier to pick up and play. I don't like how some of the stages zoom out so much that everything is tiny in Brawl. That is all.

[quote name='soonersfan60']You should add a poll to this.

My son says Melee is better, but still enjoys Brawl. Too many things were tweaked in Melee to make it easier to pick up and play. I don't like how some of the stages zoom out so much that everything is tiny in Brawl. That is all.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a really good idea. At least that way if nobody wants to post an answer I can still make a judgment based on the poll results.

Edit: Poll up. Results and which you voted for are public.

It always seemed to me that how you thought of Brawl depended on what type of game you classified Melee as. If you thought Melee was a fighting game, you probably hated Brawl. If you thought Melee was just a party game, you probably enjoyed Brawl.

[quote name='Salamando3000']It always seemed to me that how you thought of Brawl depended on what type of game you classified Melee as. If you thought Melee was a fighting game, you probably hated Brawl. If you thought Melee was just a party game, you probably enjoyed Brawl.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the same position I took , but my brother feels that it fails in both regards. That as a straight fighting game Melee is better and as a party game most of what Brawl added to make it more "zany and wacky" make the game more clumsy and un-fun. Too many moving/lame stages , too many busted items.

I'm guessing your brother enjoys competition. That's fine, but I don't think it makes a game plain better than its sequel. Shouldn't other factors come into the formula? If competitive Melee players ran gaming websites, the only category we'd see to determine a game's score is COMPETITION.

You should post this on Smashboards. Melee - 100%, Brawl - 0%

[quote name='FallMoon']
You should post this on Smashboards. Melee - 100%, Brawl - 0%[/QUOTE]

True story. In my opinion, both games have competitive merit. :) However, since I never delved into competitive Melee, I cannot make any other comparisons.

Melee is a better fighting game, (no items) and a better party game (items). Brawl as a party game feels unfair and broken. Without items, it feels like a worse version of Melee that takes place on the moon, with stages made of high powered magnets that attract the metallic implants in the characters' hands. With D3, you have to knock that fucker around until he's at like 350% before he dies.

bread's done
Back