Smoking Hot Laptop Deals (gaming too) from Dell - $750 off! - Expires Wed AM!

[quote name='sgs89']I was wondering what it is like to game on a laptop. How does it compare to the standard desktop set up? Are the controls more difficult to use? Do people typically use a mouse (rather than the touchpad included with the laptop)? I would appreciate hearing some CAG views on the pros/cons of gaming on a laptop before I purchase the XPS.

Thanks[/quote]

Just about every laptop gamer I've seen uses a mouse. The keyboard use depends on who makes the keyboard, mine's good enough that I would think about gaming on it, but I'd probably defer to an external keyboard, just so I wouldn't be beating up my laptop keyboard.

[quote name='shadowrunner7240']I could really use some help here guys. I made a mistake somehow when selecting my videocard and somehow failed to notice it until now. I want to change it to the Radeon 9600, which I thought I selected, but I need the Product code and the SKU # for the Radeon 9600. If anyone that has that info from their order could hook me up I'd appreciate it. I really don't feel like being stuck with the Go5200. :evil:[/quote]

Call them and speak to someone. Best way to get it fixed correctly, since you may have to cancel and redo your order without a live body on the phone.

[quote name='shadowrunner7240']I could really use some help here guys. I made a mistake somehow when selecting my videocard and somehow failed to notice it until now. I want to change it to the Radeon 9600, which I thought I selected, but I need the Product code and the SKU # for the Radeon 9600. If anyone that has that info from their order could hook me up I'd appreciate it. I really don't feel like being stuck with the Go5200. :evil:[/quote]

Can you talk to a customer rep and not have that information? I'd think it'd be better that way so you know for sure that your order was changed correctly.

Edited to add: yes, what shrike said :p

Just about every laptop gamer I've seen uses a mouse. The keyboard use depends on who makes the keyboard, mine's good enough that I would think about gaming on it, but I'd probably defer to an external keyboard, just so I wouldn't be beating up my laptop keyboard.[/quote]

Thanks. Do you have the XPS? Do you know folks that do? What are your up-close impressions of the machine? It is VERY pricey, obviously, but less than some of the more boutiquey machines, like AlienWare.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='javeryh']OK that's what I thought. I won't ever watch a movie unless I'm on a plane or something and even then I doubt it. This computer would be for me and my eyes are fine but since I just turned 30 you never know :D Is the XPS worth all the extra $$$ - I buy a computer once every 4 years or so and I never upgrade or anything so this will have to last me a while...[/quote]

The XPS is their top of the line laptop. User-upgradeable video card, which is very hard to come by from a 1st tier vendor, good built-in sound with a subwoofer, top-of-the line video card, great screen, huge hard drive, good keyboard, fast memory (with dual channel support). If it's built similar to my D800, it's not horrible to get into the guts on and swap the CPU, too.

Problem is it's damn heavy and has horrible battery life. For a portable gaming system, it's damn good.

If you want to play games on a portable system, it's one to look at. If you want a ridiculously fast laptop for video editig or the like, it's one to look at.

If you want it as your daily machine with some or little gaming usage, it's overkill. For a "daily" machine, look at the 8600, 600m or the 5160. For no gaming, it's not worth buying, unless you do something CPU or memory intensive.[/quote]

THANK YOU. Great post. I'm not going to be doing much gaming on it but it will replace my current desktop (4+ years old 733Mhz) as the primary computer in the house. I am concerned with the processor power as 3.4Ghz on the XPS is a lot bigger than say 1.5Ghz on a "lesser" model. Basically, my wife wants to be able to have wireless internet and I want the ability to burn music and DVDs and play the occasional game. We only buy computers every 4 or so years so I want this one to last...

The offer has ended on models 700m and 8600.
9100 is sold out.

The rest are good until Wednesday 5:59AM CST.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='shadowrunner7240']I could really use some help here guys. I made a mistake somehow when selecting my videocard and somehow failed to notice it until now. I want to change it to the Radeon 9600, which I thought I selected, but I need the Product code and the SKU # for the Radeon 9600. If anyone that has that info from their order could hook me up I'd appreciate it. I really don't feel like being stuck with the Go5200. :evil:[/quote]

Call them and speak to someone. Best way to get it fixed correctly, since you may have to cancel and redo your order without a live body on the phone.[/quote]

Yeah. I'll have to do that. I was just going to use their change order form but it's no use without the Product code and SKU. I'll guess I'll just have to take care of it over the phone. Thanks for your help.

[quote name='sgs89']Thanks. Do you have the XPS? Do you know folks that do? What are your up-close impressions of the machine? It is VERY pricey, obviously, but less than some of the more boutiquey machines, like AlienWare.[/quote]

I don't have the XPS, I have the Latitude D800, which is the business twin to the 8600. The keyboard looks like mine, so it should do well for that, but it's more the pounding on it that I'd be worried about, which is why I'd lean to the external keyboard.

From what I've read, it's a great machine for gaming, but it's a huge-ass machine in weight. Great specs on it.

One thing that the XPS has over a machine like an Alienware is Dell's support organization, which is fscking huge. As well as their pricing on parts, which is the cheapest around, due to their size. The Alienware machine may look cooler and run faster, but they're not cheaper.

Did you call Dell. they should be able to fix that.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='MorPhiend']Hey shrike. Besides cost ($1000), what would be the pros and cons between an
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 715(1.50A GHz/400MHz FSB) 15.4 WSXGA+, 512MB DDR SDRAM 2 DIMMs w/ only a 64MB DDR NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 AGP 4X Graphics

and a
Pentium® 4 Processor 3.40GHz w/ HT Tech, 15.4-in WUXGA, 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz w/ a 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 AGP 8X Graphics

What would the performance difference be and is it worth $1000? My main concern is the difference between the processors. I know nothing of this generation of processors... (I know the RAM and cards are pretty drastic in difference.)[/quote]

Gaming sucks on a 5200. It's barely DX9, more like DX8. Some games don't run well on it, if it at all. Mobility Radeon 9700 is like a desktop Radeon 9600 card, good solid gaming card, some of the best you can get for a laptop.

The Pentium M is a good processor, about on par with a 2.3GHz P4, but there's no HT, so that may not make much difference for most people, unless you have apps that are HT-aware. Great battery life on it, since it was designed for laptops and has some performance enhancements with make the processor act faster than the GHz would appears, plus power savings..

The 3.4GHz P4 will clobber most things you throw at it, it's a desktop processor with power management tossed on top of it. It has HT, so it'll speed up things that are HT-aware, like XP.

The memory on the P4 info you tossed up there is 400MHz, which is faster, and speeds up the system a bit. The Pentium M has 266MHz memory, which is slower.

The P-M system will have better battery life, and will do the job decently, if slower than the P4 system. With the same RAM, most things will come up almost the same speed as the P4 system.

If you're going to game on it, then spend the 1000. Otherwise, up the RAM to 1GB and up the processor to 1.6GHz on the Penitum M system. XP seems to like 1GB RAM a lot.[/quote]

Thanks shrike! I'm excited this Inspiron XPS is going to be my first computer since my current AMD K6-2 370MHz. =P~ Sad, eh?

I knew this wouldn't last until tonight. Dell does that all the time. limits my options but if the 5160 is still around I think I can convince my dad to pick it up for my sister.

[quote name='CheapyD']The offer has ended on models 700m and 8600.
9100 is sold out.

The rest are good until Wednesday 5:59AM CST.[/quote]

why!?!?!..i was just in the middle of trying to get one..i thought i still had til four but 3 pm in western florida is 4 pm eastern..dammit.. :x

[quote name='shadowrunner7240']Yeah. I'll have to do that. I was just going to use their change order form but it's no use without the Product code and SKU. I'll guess I'll just have to take care of it over the phone. Thanks for your help.[/quote]

The sales associates can look it up in their computer system, so they should be able to find it.

The only system I see with the Radeon 9600 as an option is the 8600, and if so, this is the product code and SKU for it:

ATI128M [320-2902]

The 5160 doesn't have the Radeon 9600 available for it, nor the 1150, the 600m or the 700m. If you don't have a 8600, you can't get the Radeon 9600 for it.

Um idk if someone posted this already but how do you put the code in?!?! sorry if this is a repost I just want to get my hands on this deal and can't read through the posts

This is the configuration I have in my cart right now:
Inspiron XPS Pentium® 4 Processor 3.40GHz w/ HT Tech, 15.4-in WUXGA IX34PN [221-4012] 1
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional WPXP [412-0408][410-0334][412-0689][420-4770] 11
Memory FREE 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz Upgrade! (from 512MB) 1GB2DP [463-0469] 3
Video Card 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 AGP 8X Graphics ATI128M [312-0183] 6
Hard Drive 60GB Hard Drive 60GB [341-0083] 8
Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 ADOBER [430-1048] 15
Optical Devices 24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Sonic RecordNow 24COMBO [341-0163][430-1050] 16
Wireless Networking Cards Dell® Wireless 1450 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps) TM1450I [430-0927] 19
Bundled Software Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® ICORELM [412-0556][412-0714] 22
Security Software No Security Subscription NS [412-0735] 25
Digital Music Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software MMBASE [412-0691] 26
Primary Battery 96 WHr 12-cell Primary Battery with Subwoofer 12BAT [310-8836] 27
Carrying Case Exclusive XPS BackPack XPSBP [310-4771] 28
Limited Warranty, Services and Support 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support ST111RR [950-9057][950-3337][950-3830][412-0361][960-2780] 29
XPS Specialized Support Inspiron XPS, Specialized Support XPSSUPP [970-5927] 31
Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested NISPFSS [461-3063] 37
Digital Imaging or Digital Photography Paint Shop™ Pro® Trial plus Photo Album™ Starter Edition DPS [412-0521] 38
Color Choice SKULLZ QuickSnap™ Cover SKULLZ [311-3452] 60
Operating System Enhancements Combo: Microsoft® Plus! for Windows XP and Digital Media Edition DMEPLUS [412-0664] 65
Additional Battery 132 WHr 16-cell Secondary Battery 16BATAD [310-4687] 80
Personal Finance Software Microsoft® Money 2004 Standard MNY [412-0552] 83
Dell Media Experience Dell Media Experience™ DMX [412-0706] 115

ACCESSORIES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Save $49 on shipping with mail-in rebate. Price shown before rebate Qty 1
Unit Price $0.00
TOTAL: $1,996.00

I'm hoping it's worth it...

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I've configured the 5160 and the XPS to where I like it and the XPS costs $700 more - is it worth it?[/quote]

If you do lots of gaming, or want a portable desktop (at 10+ lbs), yes, it is.

Otherwise, think about the 5160.

[quote name='MorPhiend'] Save $49 on shipping with mail-in rebate. Price shown before rebate Qty 1
Unit Price $0.00
TOTAL: $1,996.00

I'm hoping it's worth it...[/quote]

That's a discussion you need to have between yourself and your credit card.

[quote name='sgs89']To get the Radeon 9800 rather than the 9700 with the XPS?[/quote]

You can do it later, as the XPS allows for user upgradeability on the video card. Dell's supposed to come out and do it for you, too, if you want.

I know it'll not be cheaper than that for quite some time to do it after the fact. The numbers I've seen on the Mobility Radeon 9800 are obscene for a laptop. If I was doing hardcore gaming on it, I'd do it, especially since you can look at it getting it for free with the coupon versus the non-coupon price.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='shadowrunner7240']Yeah. I'll have to do that. I was just going to use their change order form but it's no use without the Product code and SKU. I'll guess I'll just have to take care of it over the phone. Thanks for your help.[/quote]

The sales associates can look it up in their computer system, so they should be able to find it.

The only system I see with the Radeon 9600 as an option is the 8600, and if so, this is the product code and SKU for it:

ATI128M [320-2902]

The 5160 doesn't have the Radeon 9600 available for it, nor the 1150, the 600m or the 700m. If you don't have a 8600, you can't get the Radeon 9600 for it.[/quote]

I just called customer service and they weren't much help. I was told that since I financed it that no changes can be made to the order. The only thing I could do was to cancel it and make another order. When I told her that the rebate code that I used no longer works so I can't make another order she didn't know what to tell me. :x I'm going to call sales tonight when I get home to see if anything can be done. I don't mind making a new order but why would I do it if I lose out on the $750 rebate. I know I screwed myself by selecting the wrong thing but you would think something like that would be fixable.

*sigh*

It was the 8600 by the way. I even tried doing it online with the sku # you gave me but it's not registering my customer # for some reason.

I just placed my order , this is what i got.

Order detail - order placed 2004-10-19 13:59:49
Inspiron 5160
Mobile Pentium® 4 Processor 538 w/HT Technology (3.20GHz, 533MHz FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Qty: 1
Unit Price: $1,704.00
Inspiron 5160 Mobile Pentium® 4 Processor 538 w/HT Technology (3.20GHz, 533MHz FSB)

LCD 15 inch SXGA+ LCD Panel

Memory FREE Upgrade! 512MB,333MHz,2 Dimms

Video Card 64MB DDR NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 AGP 4x Graphics

Hard Drive 60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

Network Adapters Integrated Network Card

Modem Internal 56k Modem for Inspiron

Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0

Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X Max Variable DVD-ROM Drive

Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) Mini-PCI card

Productivity Software Productivity Pack including WordPerfect®

Security Software No Security Subscription

Digital Music Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software

Primary Battery 12-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (96 WHr)

Carrying Cases Dell Nylon Carrying Case

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-Home Service, and 2Yr Technical Support

Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included

Digital Imaging Paint Shop™ Pro® Trial plus Photo Album™ Starter Edition

Personal Finance Software Microsoft® Money 2004 Standard

Dell Media Experience Dell Media Experience™

Dell Home Customers: Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1500 or more (before tax and shipping)! (affiliate only online offer)
Expires on 2004-10-20 05:59:59 - $750.00

Save $49 on shipping with mail-in rebate. Price shown before rebate Qty: 1
Unit Price: $0.00

Sub-Total $927.10
Shipping $49.00
Tax $19.74
Total $995.84

Thats not to shabby if you ask me :)

Thanks Cheapy

When they say "Save $100" on something, for example, does the $100 discount go away by using the $750 coupon or do you still get it?

Some of their discounts can't be combined. Like right now, without using the coupon, they have 10% off on some of the laptops. Once you add the coupon, the 10% goes away.

Dell is notorious for some of the following:

* Coupons for one side of the house (home/home office) don't work another side of the house (small business)
* Some coupons/discounts aren't stackable with other ones, such as EPP (Employee Purchase Program) or Dell-offered instant discounts
* As we've seen, coupons tend not to work in some ways or on some things due to nothing more than complete randomness
* Some models disappear without warning, such as the Inspiron 9100, or earlier in the year, the Dimension 4700 and 8400

And the worst part of all:
* Not all Dell reps know about all promotions running at the time

[quote name='shrike4242']
* Not all Dell reps know about all promotions running at the time[/quote]

That's not always bad, sometimes you can combine discounts that aren't supposed to be combined by bugging some random Dell peon. (not that I agree with that or anything)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy'][quote name='shrike4242']
* Not all Dell reps know about all promotions running at the time[/quote]

That's not always bad, sometimes you can combine discounts that aren't supposed to be combined by bugging some random Dell peon. (not that I agree with that or anything)[/quote]

No, it's not bad, when it comes to that nice use of the dark side of the Force, though when you're trying to get the Dell rep to understand the coupon/discount you're trying to use, it's really a pain in the backside when they have no fscking clue of what you're trying to do.

:eek: :eek:
Dell Home Customers: Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1500 or more (before tax and shipping)! (affiliate only online offer) Offer not available on Inspiron 700m and 8600. (as of 3:00pm CST) Inspiron 5160 & 600m (as of 6:00pm CST)

NO! That's only another 20 minutes!

[quote name='Nintendo_ownz']:eek: :eek:
Dell Home Customers: Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1500 or more (before tax and shipping)! (affiliate only online offer) Offer not available on Inspiron 700m and 8600. (as of 3:00pm CST) Inspiron 5160 & 600m (as of 6:00pm CST)

NO! That's only another 20 minutes![/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. :notworth:
Made it with 2 minutes left.
600m on the way!

[quote name='CheapyD']The coupon is currently only valid to XPS.[/quote]
Uh oh. I'm thinking I should just go ahead and get that while I can. I'd be better off getting an expensive XPS with a huge discount than I would be waiting for another deal. Does that sound reasonable?

To bad they didnt have this deal a month and a half ago when I got my dell. I still got a good deal through a small buisness discount.

XPS is way too expensive for me. And everything else has expired. I wish I had never even heard about this deal. I missed the $500 off last week and now this one. I'll get lucky one of these days.

If anyone changes their minds on a 700m, 8600, or 9100 let me know.

Here's the fine print. Some of them expired during the afternoon. The 9100 flat out disappeared.

Dell Home Customers: Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1500 or more (before tax and shipping)! Offer not available on Inspiron 700m and 8600 (as of 3:00pm CST) 5160 & 600m (as of 6:00pm CST) 1150 (as of 7:30pm CST)

Limited Time Offer!

Offer Valid: 10/19/04 6:00am CST through 10/20/04 5:59am CST ONLINE ONLY: Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1500 or more (before tax and shipping)! May not be combinable with Deals of the Week, dollars off, percentages off or select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Offer not available on Inspiron 700m and 8600. (as of 3:00pm CST) Inspiron 5160 & 600m (as of 6:00pm CST) 1150 (as of 7:30pm) The Home & Home Office site and offers contained herein valid only for end users and not for resellers and/or online auctions. Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offers may change without notice. Taxes, fees and shipping charges extra, and vary. U.S. Dell Home Systems Co. new purchases online only. Purchase limit of 5 systems per order, but coupon discount applies to only 1 system per cart. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors.

[quote name='regisphilbi0']How did they just expire? I thought the d4eal lasted until tomm morning?[/quote]

As was listed in the OP, they often pull these deals early...
Sorry!

Very irritated by this deal.. spent like 10 hours thinking about this and when I finally decided to do it, it expired while I was out at a movie... grrrrr... no 600m for me *sigh*

Man, I can't believe I just paid for an XPS. I don't know if I can be a CAG anymore... I don't think true CAGs buy XPSs... :headache: ... so much money

300 posts!!!

damn well thats what i get for thinking so much......nows when i come back and everything is gone....damn why cant i jsut have alot of money. well i guess it was for the best that i didnt buy it as im broke right now and that 28% apr would have killed me.....

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS DEAL HAPPENS AGAIN!!!

bread's done
Back