Smoking Hot Laptop Deals (gaming too) from Dell - $750 off! - Expires Wed AM!

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='Nintendo_ownz']:eek: :eek:
Dell Home Customers: Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1500 or more (before tax and shipping)! (affiliate only online offer) Offer not available on Inspiron 700m and 8600. (as of 3:00pm CST) Inspiron 5160 & 600m (as of 6:00pm CST)

NO! That's only another 20 minutes![/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. :notworth:
Made it with 2 minutes left.
600m on the way![/quote]

So, what did you end up ordering, CheapyD?

[quote name='MorPhiend']Man, I can't believe I just paid for an XPS. I don't know if I can be a CAG anymore... I don't think true CAGs buy XPSs... :headache: ... so much money

300 posts!!![/quote]

Guess I know which one you bought between the 5160 and the XPS. :lol:

[quote name='regisphilbi0']How did they just expire? I thought the d4eal lasted until tomm morning?[/quote]

Welcome to the world of Dell being the ultimate tease for cheapasses. :lol:

They do this all the time with their deals, some of them disappear before the expiration date, or the coupons have limited uses.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='Nintendo_ownz']:eek: :eek:
Dell Home Customers: Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1500 or more (before tax and shipping)! (affiliate only online offer) Offer not available on Inspiron 700m and 8600. (as of 3:00pm CST) Inspiron 5160 & 600m (as of 6:00pm CST)

NO! That's only another 20 minutes![/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. :notworth:
Made it with 2 minutes left.
600m on the way![/quote]

So, what did you end up ordering, CheapyD?[/quote]

The 600m.

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='shrike4242']So, what did you end up ordering, CheapyD?[/quote]

The 600m.[/quote]

I was curious of the configuration, to how you configured it. PM me the config, so I can see it?

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='MorPhiend']Man, I can't believe I just paid for an XPS. I don't know if I can be a CAG anymore... I don't think true CAGs buy XPSs... :headache: ... so much money

300 posts!!![/quote]

Guess I know which one you bought between the 5160 and the XPS. :lol:[/quote]

Thanx for all of your help you've given to everyone shrike! :mrgreen:

I cannot belieeeeeve I missed out on this. I had everything set in the morning for the 8600 and thought to myself that I'd buy it in the afternoon because I wanted to use my mom's credit card which has a larger limit than mine, and then the damn offer is invalid for the 8600 in the afternoon. meh.. i should've just done it in the morning.

Alright guys, big thanks for all the help. I'm pretty sure that I've never made such a big decision in such a short amount of time before. I got hooked up with a nice 5160 system.
This morning, i knew nothing about laptops other than they were portable. Now... i still don't know a lot about laptops, but i own a pretty nice one. Of course i'm going to second-guess myself for a while now (maybe i could have gotten a better deal with a different model?) Although i think i would be very hard pressed to find a laptop for $750 less than normal anywhere else. Thanks guys! CAG rocks!

[quote name='Xtreme331']I'm pretty sure that I've never made such a big decision in such a short amount of time before.[/quote]

As far as monetary decisions go, I agree... Man, I can't wait for my Inspiron XPS and Half-Life 2 to arrive... :twisted:

[quote name='Xtreme331']Alright guys, big thanks for all the help. I'm pretty sure that I've never made such a big decision in such a short amount of time before. I got hooked up with a nice 5160 system.
This morning, i knew nothing about laptops other than they were portable. Now... i still don't know a lot about laptops, but i own a pretty nice one. Of course i'm going to second-guess myself for a while now (maybe i could have gotten a better deal with a different model?) Although i think i would be very hard pressed to find a laptop for $750 less than normal anywhere else. Thanks guys! CAG rocks![/quote]

Don't second guess yourself on your decision. Buying a laptop isn't a simple decision, since there are plenty of things of think about before you make your decision. Money is just one part of it.

The 5160 is a good system, don't think you made a mistake in getting it.

It took me months to decide on the Dell I have, so thinking it out and making a decision in one day is a great thing. :D

[quote name='MorPhiend'][Thanx for all of your help you've given to everyone shrike! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Glad I could be of help. Happy to help my fellow CAGs make informed decisions, especially with the short period of time that the coupon shrinkage put people into.

Thanks Shrike. The last few computers i've bought i took almost a month or more of research, endless asinine questions, and plenty of patience before i bought 'em. like i said, this was a big decision made really fast. I know that once the laptop gets here, i'll be happy as can be. Can't wait.
Thanks again!

This is the config I ordered with an hour to spare. :shock:
Inspiron 8600
Intel® Pentium®M Processor 725(1.60A GHz/400MHz FSB) 15.4 WSXGA+, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Qty: 1
Unit Price: $2,018.00
Inspiron 8600 Intel® Pentium®M Processor 725(1.60A GHz/400MHz FSB) 15.4 WSXGA+

Memory Free Upgrade! 512MB DDR SDRAM 2 DIMMs(From 256MB 1 DIMM)

Video Card 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY® RADEON™ 9600 PROTURBO

Hard Drive 60GB Hard Drive

Power Adapter AC adapter -90w, 19.5v

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
(Already have a couple of copies XP Pro)

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

CDROM/DVD ROM 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) with double-layer write capability
8XDVDRW

Primary Battery 72 WHr Primary Battery

Carrying Case Backpack Carrying Case

Color Choice Red Lava QuickSnap™ Cover

Floppy Drive and Other Home Setup Accessories Floppy Drive for Modular Bay

Dell Home Customers: Save $750 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1500 or more (before tax and shipping)! (affiliate only online offer)
Expires on 2004-10-20 05:59:59 - $750.00

Kodak EasyShare CX7300 Digital Camera (3MP) Qty: 1
Unit Price: $129.00

Save $49 on shipping with mail-in rebate. Price shown before rebate Qty: 1
Unit Price: $0.00

ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS
Dell Home Customers: Get free ground (3-5 day) shipping on peripheral items over $49!
Expires on 2004-10-27 23:59:59 - $5.50

Sub-Total $1,383.00

Just so you guys can have a comparison point, this is my D800 that I ordered in April of last year, which is the business twin to the 8600:

1 221-2231 LAT D800,1.60GHZ PEN M,15.4WUXGA,ENG
1 311-1875 512MB,1 DIMM,DDR,LAT D-FAM, FACT
1 320-0649 NVIDIA GF4 4200GO,64MB,GRPHX,LATD800
1 340-8243 40GB,HD,9.5MM,5400RPM,LAT D800,FACT
1 340-6895 FLOPPY DRIVE,INT/EXT,LAT,FACT
1 420-1946 WIN XP PROSP1,ENGLISH, LAT,FACT
1 313-1535 INTERNAL 56K MODEM,LAT D-FAM,FACT
1 313-1533 24X CDRW/DVD,LAT D-FAM,FACT
1 430-0456 TRUEMOBILE 1400 802.11A/B/G MPCI CRD
1 313-1662 D/BAY PLUS 24X CDROM,LAT D-FAM,TIED
1 312-0093 9-CELL PRIMARY BATTERY, LATD800, FACT
1 310-3109 NYLON CASE,DELUXE, LAT DFAMILY
1 420-0153 NTFS,FILE SYSTEM,WIN NT/2K,FACT
1 365-1234 READYWARE INSTALLATION FEE
1 412-2582 MS OFFICE XP PRO,CD,LATUDE,OEM,FACT
1 461-7110 ADOBE ACROBAT 5.0 RTL FOR OFFICE BNDL,FA
1 950-1400 PROMO NBD+CC,LAT,UNY,INIT, BSD
1 950-1402 PROMO NBD+CC,LAT,UNY,2YR EXT, BSD
1 902-4919 PROMO,GOLD TECH SPT,3YR,LAT (PAD)
1 430-0453 TRUEMOBILE 300 BLUETOOTH MODULE

Since the original order, Dell's swapped out my DVD/CDRW for a 4X DVD+RW and the GeForce Go 4 4200 64MB for a GeForce FX 5650 128MB. Also added is a second 512MB DIMM in the other slot for a total of 1GB of RAM, and a 2nd battery for the media bay.

It was over $3000 when I bought it, but I use it for work, so I wrote it off on my taxes. $265 of that price was the warranty upgrades and $300 or so was for Office Pro with Acrobat, so the machine cost is about $2400. Keep that in mind when you grouse about how much you just spend on a laptop. :p

[quote name='shrike4242']Guess where a bunch of these laptops ended up?

eBay, of course.

Tons of them, which happen to be new. Funny how that works. :lol:[/quote]

That's against the licence agreement. It says that you will not auction these off somewhere in all the legal stuff... If you see a suspicious auction, you should report to Dell (just like reporting to Nintendo any pirated games auctions).

It's probably people like this who made it so I had to go with the XPS instead of the 9100 (I know I'll enjoy the XPS, but my wallet sure doesn't. Looks like it's Ramen and tap water at least for the rest of the semester.)

Heard a lot of resellers took advantage of this sale. That's why things sold out in a matter of hours instead of lasting the whole day. It's unfortunate that people do this because it discourages companies to offer us these great deals. Hopefully, something can be done to prevent resellers from ruining this for the rest of us.

Does anyone have a direct support number to Dell? My order placed through and processed fine. My girlfriends order has not yet, and she ordered from me on this very computer. She got an email Acknowledgment of the order, but not a confirmation email yet.

[/QUOTE]Guess where a bunch of these laptops ended up?

eBay, of course.

Tons of them, which happen to be new. Funny how that works.
It's just like when CC had their $5 dollar sale. Alot of the people at the CC I was in were just buying everything in order to sell it on Ebay. These lazy #@!@$ need to get a real job. It just burns me that people take advantage of a great deal and end up ruining it for everyone else. Don't get me wrong I see nothing wrong with making a profit but I watched(then got involved) these jerks push smaller kids( who wanted the games to accually play) out off the way. I also witnessed one guy BITE another. It's just really sad.

My girlfriends order confirmation finally came today....39 hours after we placed an order. The bad thing is I placed my order right after she did (15 minutes) and my computer is already being built. Gotta love/hate Dell.

I just got an email from Dell telling me they made the change I requested on my Video Card mistake. :D It's funny because when I called a customer rep told me they couldn't do it and when I went through the website order change they seemed to have no problem fixing it. Anyways, thanks for all the help guys. Without that Item and SKU # I would have been screwed.

[quote name='shadowrunner7240']I just got an email from Dell telling me they made the change I requested on my Video Card mistake. :D It's funny because when I called a customer rep told me they couldn't do it and when I went through the website order change they seemed to have no problem fixing it. Anyways, thanks for all the help guys. Without that Item and SKU # I would have been screwed.[/quote]

Glad I could track it down the Item # and SKU #, though I managed to find it by building a 8600 with the Radeon 9600 card in it, doing a print summary and found the item # and SKU from that.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='shadowrunner7240']I just got an email from Dell telling me they made the change I requested on my Video Card mistake. :D It's funny because when I called a customer rep told me they couldn't do it and when I went through the website order change they seemed to have no problem fixing it. Anyways, thanks for all the help guys. Without that Item and SKU # I would have been screwed.[/quote]

Glad I could track it down the Item # and SKU #, though I managed to find it by building a 8600 with the Radeon 9600 card in it, doing a print summary and found the item # and SKU from that.[/quote]

I didn't even think to find it that way. :shock: It's a good thing because everything I read about the Go5200 was pretty negative. Not sure how big a step up the Radeon 9600 is but I'm sure it's the better buy. That's the trouble when your buying a computer and you don't know that much about them. You're bound to make a mistake. Especially when you're rushing because you don't know when the rebate is going to expire. :?

[quote name='shadowrunner7240']I just got an email from Dell telling me they made the change I requested on my Video Card mistake. :D It's funny because when I called a customer rep told me they couldn't do it and when I went through the website order change they seemed to have no problem fixing it. Anyways, thanks for all the help guys. Without that Item and SKU # I would have been screwed.[/quote]

Their Customer Service Centers are outsourced in India. They know nothing (not trying to be rude) and it is hard to get them to understand what you are wanting.

[quote name='shadowrunner7240']I didn't even think to find it that way. :shock: It's a good thing because everything I read about the Go5200 was pretty negative. Not sure how big a step up the Radeon 9600 is but I'm sure it's the better buy. That's the trouble when your buying a computer and you don't know that much about them. You're bound to make a mistake. Especially when you're rushing because you don't know when the rebate is going to expire. :?[/quote]

When I had issues with the GeForce 4 Go 4200 in my D800, I went through swapping out three of them before I forced Dell to do an upgrade. And I made sure to remind them that as I had a top-end graphics card when I made my purchase, that's what I expected them to give me when they did their upgrade. The FX5200 wasn't an upgrade, it was a downgrade, so they ended up with the FX5650. Which works quite well, BTW. When I was working with them, I brought up the product # and SKU # for them to find the repair number for the part, that very same way.

So, whenever you need info like that on a Dell part, that's the way you find it out, build a system with the piece you're looking for, and do a print summary. Right there on the webpage.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Their Customer Service Centers are outsourced in India. They know nothing (not trying to be rude) and it is hard to get them to understand what you are wanting.[/quote]

The sales reps are still domestic, as is the tech support for business systems and for users with Gold Tech support. The customer serivce reps are mostly outside the US, though they do have some customer service presence in the US. The home/home office support is out of India, unless you have a Gold Tech support contract.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='MorPhiend']Their Customer Service Centers are outsourced in India. They know nothing (not trying to be rude) and it is hard to get them to understand what you are wanting.[/quote]

The sales reps are still domestic, as is the tech support for business systems and for users with Gold Tech support. The customer serivce reps are mostly outside the US, though they do have some customer service presence in the US. The home/home office support is out of India, unless you have a Gold Tech support contract.[/quote]

hmmm... maybe it would be worth it to upgrade... :?

[quote name='MorPhiend']hmmm... maybe it would be worth it to upgrade... :?[/quote]

Since my laptop was my business system, I spent the money on the onsite warranty, the accidental damage protection and the gold tech support. Whenever I look at a system for purchase, I keep these things in mind, and plan to keep it warrantied for three years, since at that point, it's time to retire it from active work and find something new.

[quote name='coolieman2001']They shiped out my order today. Fast little buggers, took them 1 day to build and 1 day to test .... nice[/quote]

I wish I could say the same:
Delivery Estimate: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - Monday, November 22, 2004

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='coolieman2001']They shiped out my order today. Fast little buggers, took them 1 day to build and 1 day to test .... nice[/quote]

Delivery Estimate: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - Monday, November 22, 2004[/quote]

Wow, that's quite a wait. My original order was due to ship today but I changed the video card and it's supposed to ship by 11/5. I wonder why there's such a delay with your order?

Yeah... I order a XPS gaming rig a few months back and was delayed 4 weeks because of the video card... worth the wait though!

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='coolieman2001']They shiped out my order today. Fast little buggers, took them 1 day to build and 1 day to test .... nice[/quote]

Delivery Estimate: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - Monday, November 22, 2004[/quote]

Wow, sorry to hear that Cheapy, mine is an XPS and it should ship by 29 October.

What was it that extended the ship date so long?

Blame those ebay selling bastards for that problem.

just got my i8600..no dead pixels, but some light leakage line across the bottom of screen..also the keyboard sounds weir when typed on..some buttons seemed to be jammed and need to be pressed hard on to work..anyone have this problem? can it be fixed? thanks

[quote name='rly723']just got my i8600..no dead pixels, but some light leakage line across the bottom of screen..also the keyboard sounds weir when typed on..some buttons seemed to be jammed and need to be pressed hard on to work..anyone have this problem? can it be fixed? thanks[/quote]

Call Dell immediately and ask for a new unit.

bread's done
Back