SMT: DEVIL SUMMONER questions for experts/fans of the series

lvgamer1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Does anyone know what's driving the 'rare' factor on some of the ATLUS games?

I extremely lucky to find DDS1 for $15 used, but DDS2 was easy to find for $16 new.

Does anyone have any insight about SMT: Devil Summoner? Is this one that should be grabbed when it's releasec, or is it 'safe' to wait for the price drops?

[quote name='lvgamer1']Does anyone know what's driving the 'rare' factor on some of the ATLUS games?

I extremely lucky to find DDS1 for $15 used, but DDS2 was easy to find for $16 new.

Does anyone have any insight about SMT: Devil Summoner? Is this one that should be grabbed when it's releasec, or is it 'safe' to wait for the price drops?[/QUOTE]

Lately, Atlus is printing more copies than usual and the demand isn't as high.

DDS 1 was liimted numbers, but everyone loved it, so Atlus made a much higher production run of DDS 2... too high, in fact, so it got a price cut.

This can go 1 of 2 ways... Atlus dosen't make enough, or Atlus makes too much because they think people will buy it en masse because of the SMT name. People will say grab it because it's Atlus and all Atlus games go rare but the large majority of their games do not, ESPICALLY their most recent releases (Metal Saga, Steambot Chronicles, Magna Carta).

Yeah, I haven't played any of the most recent releases you've mentioned.
None of the reviews I read were too great.

Besides, I'm still playing through DDS1, haven't touched DDS2 or Disgaea 2 yet........too much game, not enough time.

[quote name='lvgamer1']Yeah, I haven't played any of the most recent releases you've mentioned.
None of the reviews I read were too great.

Besides, I'm still playing through DDS1, haven't touched DDS2 or Disgaea 2 yet........too much game, not enough time.[/QUOTE]

I say just wait on it then... if it starts getting rare (and if it does, people will start talking about it, so you'll know) or if most stores are only getting 1 - 2 copies, then you'll know.

Just don't rush right out and buy it because it's Atlus thinking it'll automatically get rare there... I've gotten burned by that many times now.

I don't think it'll get too many copies a la DDS 2, but I'm not sure that few enough copies will be available to make it rare... personally, I'd buy it right away just to support the SMT franchise... and just in case it does get rare.

Then again, logic goes out the window when a new SMT game comes out... I gotta have that shit.

Side note: Cover art's up for SMT Devil Summoner

929098_74656_front.jpg

I like it... and I like the M rating. SMT is the baddest-ass RPG series.

uhhh....yeah

For those that aren't familiar with the SMT series, roughly every game deals with the theme of 'the end of the world'.

In every game I've played, the characters (you) either summon/communicate with 'demons' or become 'demons' themselves.

SPOILER BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In SMT: Nocturne, the ultimate secret boss fight lets you challenge Lucifer to become THE advesary. Now that's dark.

[quote name='eau']Why the hell is it called "Devil Summoner"? It sounds pretty dark...summoning satan?[/QUOTE]

Devil pretty much just means demon in Japan. The SMT series has never been about being anti-religious or anything... the references to various religions are used more in a mythological sense.

Also.....if you really want to talk about 'dark', check out the trailer that's up for Persona 3. Not an SMT series game (I think), but definitely in the same vein.

Persona is considered a SMT side story, part of the series but not part of the main series. I think though it's the most popular spinoff in the SMT series. I'm looking forward to it since I'm more interesting in having human party members and more storytelling.

Devil Summoner looks pretty awesome, too.

[quote name='lvgamer1']Also.....if you really want to talk about 'dark', check out the trailer that's up for Persona 3. Not an SMT series game (I think), but definitely in the same vein.

Here's the link to one of the movies....

http://movies.rpgamer.com/persona/persona3/persona3003.wmv

It'll be interesting to see how 'controversy' this stirs up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that trailer is badass... and the game got a very good score in Famitsu so I'm definitely excited about this. I don't know how controversial this'll be since it's going to be pretty under the radar... though I can definitely see suicide prevention groups going fucking nuts over this even though its clear that suicide really is the answer here.

Given Nocturne and DDS, I think we can count on Atlus to bring the game over without dumbing it down.

haven't read too much about Devil Summoner...it's an action RPG right? that right there makes it sound pretty kick ass.

also, is it an official part of the SMT series in Japan?

[quote name='Apossum']haven't read too much about Devil Summoner...it's an action RPG right? that right there makes it sound pretty kick ass.

also, is it an official part of the SMT series in Japan?[/QUOTE]

It is an action RPG.

As for it being an official part of the SMT series, I don't believe it is... the official SMT series only consists of 3 games with everything else like DDS and Persona being considered a side story... and this is the same deal. It takes place in the 1920's instead of having the typical pseudo-futuristic setting so it's definitely not your typical SMT fare.

Devil pretty much just means demon in Japan. The SMT series has never been about being anti-religious or anything... the references to various religions are used more in a mythological sense.
I've always felt, and I have read others share similar views, that the SMT series was very critical of Christianity. Of course this is subjective, but you make it appear that it's not. References to YAHWEH and Lucifer are hardly used in a mythological sense. Yahweh is often depicted as humanity's greatest enemy, and is usually a close-minded, religiously intolerant tyrant that denies free will and only gives the illusion of it. He's one of the final bosses of SMT2, and in one ending of SMT3, you have the option of leading all the demons in an assault on Him in order to establish free will.
though I can definitely see suicide prevention groups going fucking nuts over this even though its clear that suicide really is the answer here.
I think it'll slip under the radar, same as Nocturne did.
also, is it an official part of the SMT series in Japan?
It's an official sidestory. In Japan it even bears the SMT prefix, something Digital Devil Saga did not.

As for it being an official part of the SMT series, I don't believe it is... the official SMT series only consists of 3 games with everything else like DDS and Persona being considered a side story... and this is the same deal. It takes place in the 1920's instead of having the typical pseudo-futuristic setting so it's definitely not your typical SMT fare.
Devil Summoner is an older spinoff series. This will be the third game in the series, although whether or not this is technically the third part is debatable. The Devil Summoner series is definitely experimental compared to the other games. I don't know what's pseudo-futuristic about any of the main SMT games, though. SMT1 takes place in modern day Japan, at least until it gets nuked. Although, SMT2 picks up a couple decades after that since it's a direct sequel. SMT3 is the same as SMT1, modern Japan until the world gets nuked. What makes the Devil Summoner series different from SMT is that it doesn't take place in post-apocalyptic settings. Devil Summoner 1 takes place in modern Japan only. Devil Summoner 2 actually takes place in the future including a plot line involving virtual reality.

[quote name='Davos']DDS1 is is much more expensive on the secondary market than DDS2 because it's three times better.[/QUOTE]

Gwhwhaaaa?

DDS1 was great, but DDS 2 was unbelievably good. Maybe I'm weird, but I preferred the stronger storyline since everything finally starts to make sense in DDS 2.

[quote name='Chacrana']Side note: Cover art's up for SMT Devil Summoner

929098_74656_front.jpg

I like it... and I like the M rating. SMT is the baddest-ass RPG series.[/QUOTE]

That box art rocks as usual. Thanks for posting it.

[quote name='Chacrana']Gwhwhaaaa?

DDS1 was great, but DDS 2 was unbelievably good. Maybe I'm weird, but I preferred the stronger storyline since everything finally starts to make sense in DDS 2.[/QUOTE]

DDS1 is good because it's complete. The twists and turns of the story are unexpected. DDS2 was predictable and made the characters less appealing, I think.

[quote name='Davos']DDS1 is good because it's complete. The twists and turns of the story are unexpected. DDS2 was predictable and made the characters less appealing, I think.[/QUOTE]

I dunno if I'd describe DDS1 as complete... it screamed "this is only the first part" especially at the end. To each his own, I suppose, but I really thought that DDS 2's character development was great... saying anything more would be going into spoiler territory though so I won't.

Is Devil Summoner darker than DDS or even Nocturne? I mean, I rather not befriend a demon, you know ;) It sounds very satanic. Are these considered satanic games?

[quote name='eau']Is Devil Summoner darker than DDS or even Nocturne? I mean, I rather not befriend a demon, you know ;)[/QUOTE]

From what I hear, it's not as dark as Nocturne (that's the darkest fucking game I've ever played), but darker than DDS. It's supposedly even a little light hearted at times (don't expect too much to that end though.)

I must be one of the few Christians that wasn't offended by Nocturne... if it got preachy then it prolly would've crossed a lotta lines, but just the recruiting demons thing didn't offend me in the least... no idea if that's what your concern is, but Devil Summoner shouldn't be all that offensive.

Edit: You added in the satanic bit. That's actually what I was worried about when I first got into the series but honestly, it wasn't the satan-worshipping fest that I thought it might be. I said in a previous post that the religious stuff was used in a mythological way and what I meant by that was that it isn't saying anything that'd really be offensive. The game is pure fantasy and it makes that pretty clear the entire time so when various religious elements do pop up, it won't ruin your enjoyment. As for the demons... really, they're just monsters. Replace the word "demon" with "monster" and you'd have no issue because the designs aren't necessarily demons... they're just creatures that you have to kill/recruit. There's not like some evil thing that eats babies and crucifies people or something like that.

Please note, that only applies to Nocturne. You'd have absolutely no issue with DDS at all.

[quote name='eau']Is Devil Summoner darker than DDS or even Nocturne? I mean, I rather not befriend a demon, you know ;) It sounds very satanic. Are these considered satanic games?[/quote]

It's called Devil Summoner for crying out loud, what does one expect to befriend in it? (Not trying to be mean, but it is in the title)

Is Devil Summoner darker than DDS or even Nocturne? I mean, I rather not befriend a demon, you know ;) It sounds very satanic. Are these considered satanic games?
You sound like you've played Nocturne, so I'm confused by this. Your character in Nocturne is a "devil summoner." He recruits demons, gods, angels and everything and summons them into battle.

But I don't think it's satanic at all, at least not in the traditional sense. One of the biggest themes of many MegaTen games is the idea of free will or choice. Satan is often shown as the biggest suporter of free will, but not necessarily evil. It's just that when everyone is free to do as they want, things become chaotic. As it turns out, a lot of people will do bad things if they don't get in trouble for them. I think that's an honest, although admittedly pessimistic, view of human nature in the absence of divine punishment.

Oddly enough, the Devil Summoner series has usually toned down the religious themes and focuses more on character driven stories.

I must be one of the few Christians that wasn't offended by Nocturne... if it got preachy then it prolly would've crossed a lotta lines
I don't think the series is preachy, but I do think it raises interesting theological questions. The way it approaches the topic of free will and choice is extremely Judeo-Christian, not Shinto or Buddhist.

There's not like some evil thing that eats babies and crucifies people or something like that.
Yeah, except for the beginning of SMT2 where you meet one of your party members and he's crucified, possibly by the beast next to him.

[quote name='espy605']
Yeah, except for the beginning of SMT2 where you meet one of your party members and he's crucified, possibly by the beast next to him.[/QUOTE]

Well SMT 2 was just an angry game from what I hear. I recall hearing that the guy behind the series said something to the effect of "the gods in this aren't used in a religious sense... Yahweh just represents a generic overlord" or something to that extent so it's really not like the SMT series is an attack on religion.

The theological side of Nocturne was pretty interesting though.

I haven't played Nocturne yet. It's still sitting on my shelf. I am aware that it's pretty dark but didn't know that the devil was portrayed as a good guy and Yahweh (directly referencing the name of God) as the bad guy. It sounds pretty satanic from the surface if the goal of the game is to join force with the devil and attack God.

I can handle dark games but not satanic games due to my belief. If Chacrana as a Christian didn't find Nocturne offensive, I guess I'll try it someday :)

[quote name='eau']I haven't played Nocturne yet. It's still sitting on my shelf. I am aware that it's pretty dark but didn't know that the devil was portrayed as a good guy and Yahweh (directly referencing the name of God) as the bad guy. It sounds pretty satanic from the surface if the goal of the game is to join force with the devil and attack God.

I can handle dark games but not satanic games due to my belief. If Chacrana as a Christian didn't find Nocturne offensive, I guess I'll try it someday :)[/QUOTE]
To be honest, Nocturne is still sitting on my shelf too. I got maybe an hour into it, but put it away because I got distracted. The main reason I've been reluctant to pick it back is that I've heard it's quite hard. I heard that it was even more challenging than the DDS games. I did manage to get the limited edition though with the soundtrack. One thing I will say is that Nocturn has a good soundtrack.

Well SMT 2 was just an angry game from what I hear. I recall hearing that the guy behind the series said something to the effect of "the gods in this aren't used in a religious sense... Yahweh just represents a generic overlord" or something to that extent so it's really not like the SMT series is an attack on religion.
They often say things like this as a disclaimer, and it works since the Christian population in Japan is so small and not the same as the Christian conservative base in the US (i.e. flies off the handle at every perceived slight), but the way it discusses the nature of the Christian God and how He is worshipped is definitely a criticism of Christianity, not just of the religion itself but of its adherents as well. A traditional Japanese view of Christianity is religious intolerance and forced conversion, seen through the many attempts at Christian religious imperialism throughout Asia and much of the world. It's a stark contrast to the spread of Buddhism, which was spread peacefully and willingly with great religious tolerance. A "generic overlord" doesn't make much sense since there is no similar concept in Shinto or Buddhism. Buddhism has no such figure, and the central figure in Shinto is Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess, which has little in common with Yahweh.

I am aware that it's pretty dark but didn't know that the devil was portrayed as a good guy and Yahweh (directly referencing the name of God) as the bad guy. It sounds pretty satanic from the surface if the goal of the game is to join force with the devil and attack God.
Lucifer is not portrayed as a "good guy." He just represents one of the possible paths you can choose, the very extreme of free will. Yahweh is only referenced in earlier games directly, in Nocturne it's more roundabout, but the fact that many angels are in the game directly doesn't leave much room for doubt as to who their boss is.

The game is about free will. It's not about "joining forces with the devil to attack God." It's about choosing what to do. You can also choose the path of law and order, which is considered in the game to be the path of God. It's not satanic. It just allows you to explore different possibilities. Who you perceive to be "the good guy" is reflective of what you value. If you value order and protection of the weak, you will choose that path. If you believe everyone has the right to choose how to live their life, despite the fact the weak will suffer or perish, you choose a different path. SMT3 is unique in that it also has other paths open besides these main two.

I can handle dark games but not satanic games due to my belief. If Chacrana as a Christian didn't find Nocturne offensive, I guess I'll try it someday :)

I'm Catholic and was a theology minor from university and I didn't find it offensive at all. Even if someone Christian did find it offensive, you should experience it for yourself before you reject it. Don't be like all those Christians that boycotted movies like The Last Temptation of Christ without having seen it or without even knowing what the actual story is about.

The main reason I've been reluctant to pick it back is that I've heard it's quite hard. I heard that it was even more challenging than the DDS games.
It's VERY hard. It's really a merciless game, and many regular enemies have the potential to wipe you out if you're careless. It's one of the few games that makes me want to throw my controller across the room.

[quote name='eau']I haven't played Nocturne yet. It's still sitting on my shelf. I am aware that it's pretty dark but didn't know that the devil was portrayed as a good guy and Yahweh (directly referencing the name of God) as the bad guy. It sounds pretty satanic from the surface if the goal of the game is to join force with the devil and attack God.

I can handle dark games but not satanic games due to my belief. If Chacrana as a Christian didn't find Nocturne offensive, I guess I'll try it someday :)[/QUOTE]

Meh I liked Nocturne because of some of the twists on characters. Look at how Thor is drawn, little touches like that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you have the Devil looking like the most harmless person, this old guy in a wheelchair. It's nice to not see some concepts so cut and dry.
As for worrying about all this consider there are games that you wouldn't even expect to have religious critisism but it's there. "Breath Of Fire 2", the prevailing group you're fighting against, reminds me of Christianity and I took it as a critisism as such but that's not such a bad thing when people think RPG's follow "X, Y, Z" formula. Heck in another game you find out this Priest you thought was your allies friend is trying to resurrect the Devil instead of putting him down.
And if you really think Demons in the American sense scare you look at some of the Japanese concepts of their equivalent. Look at their equivalent of Ogres. Even Kappa which are portrayed as these nice little things in FF are creatures that try to such blood out of a particular place on your body.
Oh and to the argument about people doing harm when left without God to believe in, sure it's Pessimistic but some studies have been done where people are deigned the prisoner and others the guards and without some sort of rule structure most of it breaks down and most guards abuse their position. I'm not saying it's possible to rise above that but Humanity has to make a concerted effort to and abandon some of our baser roots and we don't need to throw up a God symbol to do it. Rather, one needs to think of the common manner of respect to another in terms of body and their own wealth, the latter only being valid in some respects I don't want to nitpick about now but even that falls back to disrespecting another.

Meh I liked Nocturne because of some of the twists on characters. Look at how Thor is drawn, little touches like that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you have the Devil looking like the most harmless person, this old guy in a wheelchair. It's nice to not see some concepts so cut and dry.
The character and creature designs in the game are pretty awesome all around although some are really bizarre looking like the Nordic fire giant Surt. He looks kind of like a humanoid barber's pole.

Oh and to the argument about people doing harm when left without God to believe in, sure it's Pessimistic but some studies have been done where people are deigned the prisoner and others the guards and without some sort of rule structure most of it breaks down and most guards abuse their position. I'm not saying it's possible to rise above that but Humanity has to make a concerted effort to and abandon some of our baser roots and we don't need to throw up a God symbol to do it. Rather, one needs to think of the common manner of respect to another in terms of body and their own wealth, the latter only being valid in some respects I don't want to nitpick about now but even that falls back to disrespecting another.
My main focus in bringing up this viewpoint is that I think it's an honest perspective of human nature that has nothing to do with satanic worship. It's also one of the key focal points of the order-versus-chaos issue in SMT3.

Well the average person who thinks Satanism in the first place is worship of Satan is wrong even though they would think that by the title. Rather Satanism is the worship of onesself which I don't believe in since that would be saying I'm perfect and am far from it. I would also hope NO ONE would honestly follow that concept. Now if it means something else like wellbeing of self above all others, well that's not neccessarily bad depending on it's context in the situation. A constant drunk giving up the bottle, etc.

[quote name='espy605']

The game is about free will. It's not about "joining forces with the devil to attack God." It's about choosing what to do. You can also choose the path of law and order, which is considered in the game to be the path of God. It's not satanic. It just allows you to explore different possibilities. Who you perceive to be "the good guy" is reflective of what you value. If you value order and protection of the weak, you will choose that path. If you believe everyone has the right to choose how to live their life, despite the fact the weak will suffer or perish, you choose a different path. SMT3 is unique in that it also has other paths open besides these main two.
[/QUOTE]

This is definitely the best description of the game. You win.

Edit: Oh... and Nocturne will kick your ass at first... you've gotta get used to the typical SMT gameplay which can take a little while. Stick with it though because the game is fucking incredible. Definitely a personal favorite of mine and something that's very memorable (which is saying a lot for this cliche-ridden genre.)

[quote name='Chacrana']This is definitely the best description of the game. You win.

Edit: Oh... and Nocturne will kick your ass at first... you've gotta get used to the typical SMT gameplay which can take a little while. Stick with it though because the game is fucking incredible. Definitely a personal favorite of mine and something that's very memorable (which is saying a lot for this cliche-ridden genre.)[/QUOTE]

I think it was the fact of levelling AND fusing that really kills me even though I like Nocturne because it makes it extremely time consuming where as DDS is just characters and levelling which doesn't make it QUITE as bad.
As to DDS not bearing the name over in Japan it technically shouldn't have over here either. I mean DDS is based off a book with no relation to SMT to my knowledge. Also has anyone read the book?

This is definitely the best description of the game. You win.

Just trying to clear up misconceptions. The bloody red tint with the Pentagram-looking artwork will probably scare off some people yet at the same time draw people that were expecting something different. It's just a game that is pretty unflinching, and I really can't praise Atlus enough for having the guts to bring the series over.

Edit: Oh... and Nocturne will kick your ass at first... you've gotta get used to the typical SMT gameplay which can take a little while. Stick with it though because the game is fucking incredible. Definitely a personal favorite of mine and something that's very memorable (which is saying a lot for this cliche-ridden genre.)

There really is nothing else like it in terms of modern RPGs. Even DDS which is considered a much easier game can get terribly frustrating. It requires the most endurance and patience from a player outside of an MMORPG.
Well the average person who thinks Satanism in the first place is worship of Satan is wrong even though they would think that by the title.

Dictionary.com defines Satanism as:

1.the worship of Satan or the powers of evil. 2.a travesty of Christian rites in which Satan is worshiped. 3.diabolical or satanic disposition, behavior, or activity.

Your definition somewhat looks like the third here. Even if people misuse the word, it has come to pretty much mean worship of Satan in modern vernacular.

The main reason I've been reluctant to pick it back is that I've heard it's quite hard. I heard that it was even more challenging than the DDS games. I did manage to get the limited edition though with the soundtrack. One thing I will say is that Nocturn has a good soundtrack.
Don't let that scare you. While the game is very difficult, it's easily one of the best rpgs to come out in years. I even played through the game twice getting the same ending so I could go back and 100% the demonic compendium so when I go back to see the other endings (which I definitely will, in time) I'll breeze through the game with my lvl 99 uber-party.

As far as Devil Summoner goes, it's easily one of the games coming out this year I'm looking forward to the most. It's right up there with Guitar Hero 2, Gears of War, Legend of Zelda: TP, and others. I loved Nocturne and DDS1, but still have yet to finish DDS2. For some odd reason I couldn't find the motivation to finish DDS2. It had me hooked right up until I got to the first solar layer and then I put it down. I can't really explain why, but I liked DDS1 a lot better.

I think it was the fact of levelling AND fusing that really kills me even though I like Nocturne because it makes it extremely time consuming where as DDS is just characters and levelling which doesn't make it QUITE as bad.
Nocturne has the added difficulty in that if your main character dies, that's it, game over. No recarm, no revival bead.

As to DDS not bearing the name over in Japan it technically shouldn't have over here either.
DDS was given the SMT prefix over here as a marketing strategy by Atlus USA. Most fans don't seem to mind as the same creative forces are behind both.
I mean DDS is based off a book with no relation to SMT to my knowledge. Also has anyone read the book?
Actually, what we know as Digital Devil Saga is not based off the book. The very first game in the MegaTen universe is. It was titled Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Story, which is about a guy that accidentaly unleashes the demon world into our world while using his computer. It was the only game that was directly based off the books.

Previous to Nocturne, the protagonist would also use a computer application called something like the devil summoning program to call forth allies. Since Nocturne is the first game where you become a demon, they dropped the computer aspect altogether. Other games in the MegaTen universe tend to have computer or even cyberpunk themes. While DDS tends to be all about this, it's interesting Nocturne and the upcoming Devil Summoner drop this aspect altogether.

I haven't. I think it's a series of three books, though. There might be a fan translation of it floating around, but I'm not sure.

Just chiming in with a quick opinion, for those interested in the "SMT" series:

SMT: Nocturne is, by far, the meanest, most difficult RPG I've ever played (and I've played a few). This game is probably also my favorite.

There are so many 'layers' of difficulty built into this game, I honestly don't think I would suggest playing it, unless you're more than a 'casual' RPG player.

If you're not willing to spend some time on it, this game will frustrate you very quickly. Within the first part of the game (hospital), I think I saw the GAME OVER screen at least 5 times (mostly from 1st boss). A veteran RPG player will see this game as a welcome challenge.

SMT:DDS1
I'm about halfway (probably more) through this game right now. This game is much easier than Nocturne (or I'm just getting used to SMT battle system), although it is more difficult than most of the other RPGs out there.

I can't wait to see what SMT:Devil Summoner is like....

DS1
I'm about halfway (probably more) through this game right now. This game is much easier than Nocturne (or I'm just getting used to SMT battle system)

While there are similarities due to the press turn battle system, it's pretty much agreed upon that DDS is much easier than Nocturne.

[quote name='espy605']While there are similarities due to the press turn battle system, it's pretty much agreed upon that DDS is much easier than Nocturne.[/QUOTE]

I think the hardest game is always the first one you play in the series... DDS 1 kicked my ass when I played it and it took forever to get used to the press turn system.... then I played Nocturne and even with the magatama system and the fusing, it felt pretty easy... well, the Matador was a bastard, but I digress.

Either way, the SMT series is pretty much ideal for RPG vets. It's unconventional, challenging, and very, very well constructed.

I think the hardest game is always the first one you play in the series... DDS 1 kicked my ass when I played it and it took forever to get used to the press turn system.... then I played Nocturne and even with the magatama system and the fusing, it felt pretty easy... well, the Matador was a bastard, but I digress.

You think so? I found the sheer fact that if the main character dies in SMT3 you get a game over to be the main reason why it was so difficult. All it takes is one lucky expel spell or the enemy getting extra press turn icons due to one of your party getting hit with a weakness you had forgotten about.

I also found it more time intensive due to the recruiting system. Both games are black holes of time though. You play a bit then go, "it's already been five hours?!"

Anyway, after all this punishment I'm looking forward to both Devil Summonr's change of battle system and the more conventional Final Fantasy XII.

[quote name='espy605']You think so? I found the sheer fact that if the main character dies in SMT3 you get a game over to be the main reason why it was so difficult. All it takes is one lucky expel spell or the enemy getting extra press turn icons due to one of your party getting hit with a weakness you had forgotten about.

I also found it more time intensive due to the recruiting system. Both games are black holes of time though. You play a bit then go, "it's already been five hours?!"

Anyway, after all this punishment I'm looking forward to both Devil Summonr's change of battle system and the more conventional Final Fantasy XII.[/QUOTE]

I thought that being able to equip a magatama that blocks death or something was easier than having to keep a certain shield up a la DDS.

But yeah, the RPGs I played after the SMT series were way, way easier.

Speaking of RPGs (and totally off topic)... Valkyrie Profile 2 comes out this week! Hopefully it'll get to my house in time for this weekend... but it's overstock, so probably not...

I loved persona on the ps1 (but almost 100 hours into it). and I've been playing nocturne for almost a year now. DDS1 seems way out of my price range, do you think I would be safe skipping it and just picking up the cheaper dds2? Also, how 'action' oriented is devil summoner?

[quote name='eldergamer']I loved persona on the ps1 (but almost 100 hours into it). and I've been playing nocturne for almost a year now. DDS1 seems way out of my price range, do you think I would be safe skipping it and just picking up the cheaper dds2? Also, how 'action' oriented is devil summoner?[/QUOTE]
it is a bad idea to play DDS2 if you havent play DDS1

DDS1 seems way out of my price range, do you think I would be safe skipping it and just picking up the cheaper dds2? Also, how 'action' oriented is devil summoner?

DDS is much more story driven than Nocturne, perhaps more so than Persona even. DDS2 is the direct sequel to DD1. While they give you a "previously on DDS" backstory bit, you're really missing out on half the experience. It'd be the same as reading only the second half of a book.

Devil Summoner isn't out yet so no one can say for certain, but it it appears to not be a typical turn based RPG.

bread's done
Back