Smurfs Season 1 is coming

Good to see, but I don't know that I'll be able to let myself buy it... Before I know it, every 80s cartoon will be on my shelf.

[quote name='ryanbph']well i have a 3 month old, that is enabling me to purchase the 1980's cartoons with little to no guilt :)[/quote]Hmm... good point. I could claim to be looking forward to our future child, I figure we'll have one in a few yeras. :D

There are how many seasons of Smurfs? 9? 10? Who the hell is spending $200+ for the complete set? The same people who cough up $25 for season 1 of ALF? It's obscene.

My question: Why now? I mean.....what was the freaking hold up? Having said that, I watched the Smurfs a little. I ask myself, will watching this show add anything to my life? Answer? No.

[quote name='Stoneage']My question: Why now? I mean.....what was the freaking hold up? Having said that, I watched the Smurfs a little. I ask myself, will watching this show add anything to my life? Answer? No.[/quote]

Two words...

Smurf movie.

They are making a movie and probably want to test the water.

And does anyone really buy all the DVD sets of a cartoon? I buy the first seasons of each cartoonw and that's normally good enough.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Two words...

Smurf movie.

They are making a movie and probably want to test the water.

And does anyone really buy all the DVD sets of a cartoon? I buy the first seasons of each cartoonw and that's normally good enough.[/QUOTE]
Live action movie? Awesome!

No not live action. :p

It seems to be that the charaters will be 2D, but the world will be 3D. I guess it will be like Paper Mario.

There's really a demand for a Smurfs DVD set? Seriously? Has anyone seen the smurfs lately? IMO, most of these 80s cartoons are better left in your memories than revisiting them. Even something like Transformers or Thundercats which I LOVED seem very childish and are virtually unwatchable today.

[quote name='bigdaddy']
And does anyone really buy all the DVD sets of a cartoon? I buy the first seasons of each cartoonw and that's normally good enough.[/quote]

Yes, I do. The Simpsons. I have seasons 1-10. I'm not sure if I'll buy the seasons beyond 10 though. That's where the show started to go down hill IMO.

The greatest line ever spoken on TV was on the Smurfs. Grouchy Smurf said to Vanity Smurf

"Why don't you go Smurf a Tree!"

i always figured that gargamel was stalin by literally turning them into gold after putting them into a commune. I will definitely pick this up on the cheap.

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']Finally. Just a heads up in case you're interested. But why release them in volumes as opposed to seasons?

Amazon.com 2/26/2008 $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/Smurfs-Season-One-Vol/dp/B000XXWKFW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1201071200&sr=8-1

Deepdiscount.com 2/26/2008 $15.94
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=25710928

I have read plenty of bad customer experiences with deepdiscount (so you might want to avoid deepdiscount).[/quote]

simple, more money.. release season 1 in 2 volumes, 20 bucks each= 40 bucks for season 1

you release Season 1 Complete for 40 now, not as many people will buy

releasing in volumes though, makes it the price seem less, since the payments are split

More money and # of episodes per season I'd imagine.

Pretty cool... may consider getting this too, although I've yet to watch all of my He-man DVDs. I am, however, progressing fairly nicely through all the mario bros cartoons.

There's 317 episodes total and only 19 are included in this...no way I'm getting myself into this whirlwind. Thanks for the heads up though OP :D

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']More money and # of episodes per season I'd imagine.

Pretty cool... may consider getting this too, although I've yet to watch all of my He-man DVDs. I am, however, progressing fairly nicely through all the mario bros cartoons.[/quote]

Hm... that is fairly smurfy. Didn't they make like 200+ eps?

Yohan (sp?) and Pet Wee (again, sp?) were off the chain. I am seeing Yohan with a wooden sword. I am seeing Gargamel being smoted with said sword?

I'll buy that. Shall sit nicely in between my Saved by the Bell and Parker Lewis DVDS.

I have no shame.

[quote name='AlphakirA']There's 317 episodes total and only 19 are included in this...no way I'm getting myself into this whirlwind. Thanks for the heads up though OP :D[/quote]317 episodes? I don't even really remember what the show is about but I do remember watching it when I was a kid. Isn't a movie coming out too?

It's so everybody can buy Vol 1 and see how ridiculous the show is, and that it's not nearly as cool as you remember. Then your only out $20, so no big deal. ;)

I like the way garfield and Friends was released, 24 episodes in a Volume, 5 volumes covering all 7 seasons.

It's the same reason I won't buy "Whose Line...? USA", the compelte set will have close to 20 releases.

I was sort of mad to see that it was volume instead of season releases, but I looked up season 1 and it's 40 episodes. I consider the Simpsons season DVD's to be one of the best produced, half-hour animated dvd sets available, and each disc I think averages 5 or 6 episodes on a disc. With 40 episodes of Smurfs in a season that's nearly 6 discs worth of Smurfs. I agree that this would not sell well; it would have to be priced over $40 MSRP. I won't buy Simpsons unless it's $20 or below, no way I'd buy Smurfs for more than $10. Volumes might be the best way to go.

[quote name='bigdaddy']There are 19 episodes on two discs so how would there be 6 discs for 40 episodes?[/quote]Hmm, I guess there probably wouldn't be as many special features and commentaries as the Simpsons, so I guess the comparison doesn't apply. But we don't know just what the quality of 20 episodes on 2 discs will look like. Probably fine for animation from the time though. So, I guess 4 discs for the 40 episodes. I bet they would charge at least $30 for that though, which I still say would be way too much.

bread's done
Back