SNES on my HD TV

ubernes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I did some googling on this subject, but couldn't really get a straight answer. I realize why the graphics look extra bad on my HD TV, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do (either by settings or purchasing some kind of special cable) that will make it look better?

It's a US SNES on a Sony LCD HD TV. If that helps at all.

Thanks! :D

Are you using an S-Video cable (assuming your TV has an S-Video input)?

It won't be perfect but it'll be better than composite. Well, at least it helped with my Saturn, I assume it would help at least a bit with any older system.

[quote name='ubernes']So I did some googling on this subject, but couldn't really get a straight answer. I realize why the graphics look extra bad on my HD TV, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do (either by settings or purchasing some kind of special cable) that will make it look better?

It's a US SNES on a Sony LCD HD TV. If that helps at all.

Thanks! :D[/QUOTE]

Aside from using the S-Video cable, you could use a professional upscaler that probably cost as much as a decent used car.

My suggestion: hitting the local thrift store for a cheap SDTV, and use it for the SNES. Good luck though.

EDIT: I use a SNES emulator to play some good-ol fashioned SNES games ever since my SNES went to console-heaven, and even with the "upscaling" feature in one that I use, it pretty much still looks like ass, but not so much with some smoothing thrown in. You can only pretty up a pig so much though, especially at 1080p.

I have the Retro Duo and the games look great on my HDTV. I was really surprised.

Yeah, I'm using ccomposite. I assume an s-vid cable would be a pretty cheap and easy accesory to get? Right now it's painful to the eyes so any improvement would be nice.

I cant believe how much those upscalers cost. You'd think we'd have the tech to build fast and effective upscalers into the hdtvs.

I second a getting a $25 tube tv off craigslist. If you're looking for an s-video cable, Gamestop will probably have a used gamecube one for a couple bucks. N64/SNES/Gamecube use the same cables. Otherwise they'll have a new combination ps2/xbox/gc one for like $12.

It might also be handy to know that the SNES model 2 doesnt support s-video.

"Gamestop will probably have a used gamecube one for a couple bucks. N64/SNES/Gamecube use the same cables. Otherwise they'll have a new combination ps2/xbox/gc one for like $12.

It might also be handy to know that the SNES model 2 doesnt support s-video."[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if the s-video Gamestop ps2/xbox/gc cable is any good for the model 1 SNES?

It will work. I actually have one from them that I use on my PS2 in my bedroom. The GC bit will fit in model 1 super nintendos.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
It might also be handy to know that the SNES model 2 doesnt support s-video.[/QUOTE]

Really? Cause I use an s-video connector with my model 2, and it looks just fine, much better than standard. Did you mean RF?

bread's done
Back