SNK/Neo Geo fans unite! (Official thread, I suppose, don't see one on the first page)

mmelzer2004

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Thought I would start a Neo Geo thread to see what everyone thinks of it here.

In the past week, I just got an AES system with a copy of Samurai Shodown II and it's great... nothing like playing on my PSP. Trying to go slowly in terms of collecting since the cart prices are really steep.

So, what SNK/Neo Geo items do you guys own, and what do you think?

I used to own a Neo-Geo AES, a Neo-Geo CD, and I still own 2 Neo-Geo pockets w/ a boat load of games.

My advice - if you can afford it get a converter so you can play MVS carts on an AES system. MVS carts are very cheap compared to AES so you'll get a whole lot of gaming out of it.

Also, get a debug chip put in - with it you can set the region on your machine. This will allow you to see blood (Metal Slug, etc.) and bouncy boobs (any game with Mai in it) also you can switch your system to think it's an arcade machine. Som games have slightly different content if they think they are being played on an arcade machine.

Other wise welcome to the wonderful world of Neo-Gep

I don't have a Neo Geo, but I do like SNK's games... A Lot.

And I have a question: Is there any difference between Last Blade 2: Final Edition (Released on the DC in Japan) and Last Blade 2 released for the DC in the US?

[quote name='Chacrana']I don't have a Neo Geo, but I do like SNK's games... A Lot.

And I have a question: Is there any difference between Last Blade 2: Final Edition (Released on the DC in Japan) and Last Blade 2 released for the DC in the US?[/QUOTE]

Yea, some kind of crazy mode for Hibiki, and the fact that people can get chopped in half.

See, the people getting chopped in half triggers insane bloodlust Hibiki (I think that was her name), and since the US DC version censored the blood and getting chopped in half, this feature got removed.

I love anything from SNK...but unfortunatley i only own a NGPC with a large library of games..im still playing Match of the Millenium and Faselei..what a great handheld but too bad it ended so quick..

I always wanted to get a Neo Geo but to tell you the truth I was confused by the diffrent systems. How many were there and which is the best to get? Eventually I would like to pick one up.

[quote name='Madskills1182']I always wanted to get a Neo Geo but to tell you the truth I was confused by the diffrent systems. How many were there and which is the best to get? Eventually I would like to pick one up.[/QUOTE]

i know there is the neo geo system that can play the arcade carts and then there is the neo geo cd which is the add on to that...also the Neo Geo Pocket Color was the last thing i remember they came out with.....

Neo Geo forever!!! I have an AES system with the latest UNIBIOS and modded with component video out and optical digital audio out. I also have one of the MVS convertors to play MVS games. I have these games:

AES
Baseball Stars 2 (JPN)
Magicial Lord
King of the Monsters
King of the Monsters 2
Samurai Showdown 2 (JPN)
Soccer Brawl
Thrash Rally

MVS
Aero Fighters 2
Last Blade 2
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug X
Neo Turf Masters
Samurai Showdown IV
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
Super Dodge Ball

i have 2 mvs 1 slot boards with SVC, real bout fatal fury 2, samurai shodown 2, kabuki klash, rage of the dragons and like 3 others i can't remember!
also have a neo cd, but 1 game, crossed swords 2 and 2 neo-pockets. 1 color, 1 b&w.
also have a rev1 hyper neo-geo board, but no games :(

the the poster looking for accesories, www.neo-geo.com is a good place to start!

[quote name='Madskills1182']I always wanted to get a Neo Geo but to tell you the truth I was confused by the diffrent systems. How many were there and which is the best to get? Eventually I would like to pick one up.[/QUOTE]

There's the AES Neo Geo which is the home version of the system. That requires that you buy the ultra expensive carts. Then there's the MVS version which is for arcades. That gives you cheaper games (much, much cheaper), but you have to buy a Supergun device to hook it up to your TV at home. Most Neo Geo fans believe that the MVS is the best way to go at this point.

Apart from that, there's the Neo Geo CD which had horrible load times and isn't supported now so it's kinda worthless. IIRC, there was also a revision called the Neo Geo CDZ which was a little faster, but it was still plagued by bad load times. Finally, there's the Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Color, but those have entirely different sets of games.

^^ Yea, that's right... you can also get a MVS converter like was stated earlier to play ALL of the MVS titles on your AES machine.

The carts, reguardless of region and formart (AES/MVS), all have the same exact chips in them. That essentially means that you just need a converter to be able to play all those games for much cheaper. The only differences between the AES and MVS carts are the labels, and the pin placements, seen here (AES on top, MVS on bottom):
ng_compare.jpg

Other than that, language is controlled by the bios on the machine itself, not the cart. If you have a US system and a Japanese cart, the game will play in English, and the same the other way around. You can get a "Universe Bios" which can not only change the region of the system, but also the format (Arcade/MVS and Console/AES) so that makes the initial region of the system unimportant.

Hope this helps.

I got my AES with a UniBios v2.0 and I'll most likely upgrade it when I get the money together to buy a MVS Converter ($279.99 ouch, although not as pricey as the newest releases on the AES format, $359.99, and nowhere near the prices of the rarest titles. Metal Slug -> $1500+).

Thanks a lot. I have a Neogeo Pocket Color. I was wondering more about the consoles but you guys helped out a lot thanks. Anyone know the best place to get one and games for it?

I strongly suggest the neo-geo.com forums... it works much like the selling board here. Same feedback system and stuff, great community too.

Proud Neo-Geo AES owner here. Boxed system w/ a Neo-Geo Pocket to boot, and I buy everything that has to do w/ Metal Slug.

[quote name='mmelzer2004']I strongly suggest the neo-geo.com forums... it works much like the selling board here. Same feedback system and stuff, great community too.[/QUOTE]

Please note that most people on Neo-Geo.com are pricks, so don't get discouraged.

[quote name='peteloaf']My advice - if you can afford it get a converter so you can play MVS carts on an AES system. MVS carts are very cheap compared to AES so you'll get a whole lot of gaming out of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you should definitely find a Phantom-1 or even buy the new Super MVS converter II if you're looking to save some money and aren't into collecting AES games.

As for what games I enjoy, I'm mostly into the shooters like Blazing Star, Pulstar, the Metal Slug series and Nam1975.

I've been trying to pick up an AES for a while, but the price is too much for me right now. I hope to get one before a PS3, though.

You can get the system itself for something like $175-200, it's the newer/rarer games that will kill you, lmao. You can get older titles like Samurai Shodown I/II, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Magician Lord, and more for like $40 a piece. It's not too expensive to start a collection, but finishing it up with Metal Slug and King of Fighters 2003 will be expensive at $2000 and $300 a piece.

[quote name='mmelzer2004']As long as you don't praise roms, you should be relatively safe. As long as you aren't an idiot, you won't get flamed to hell, lmao.[/QUOTE]

It's a good resource, but it's kinda funny how vicious they can be if somebody suggests that they like X game.

I've wanted a Neo-Geo forever - I finally ended up getting an AES last year - I got a boxed one with a few games off of ebay.... then not 2 weeks later, I got a modded one & a few more games in trade from another CAG. So far I've only gotten a few additional games (Sam Shodown 1&2, KOF94, Ghost Pilots, Baseball Stars, Nam75, Fatal Fury2, & Magician Lord). It is a great system and is alot of fun. It was way ahead of anything in its time. If only the games weren't so expensive!

BTW - my 2nd AES (boxed Jap system) is up for sale or trade if anyone is interested........
&
If anyone has any games that they want to sell/trade, please let me know.....

Picked up a Neo Geo AES with 2.0 bios last year. I went a little crazy buying games for it.

Baseball Stars 2
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown 2
Samurai Shodown 3
Samurai Shodown 4
Samurai Shodon 5 Special
Last Blade
Last Blade 2
King of the Fighters 98
King of the Fighters 99
King of the Fighters 2000
Magician Lord
Nam 75
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury Special

There is a system available on n-g.com for $150... it's modded for stereo (No native stereo output), has A/V and Power hookups and a single stick. He has cheap beginners titles as well at awesome prices. Just bought a loose Ghose Pilots and a rental copy of Baseball Stars Pro for a total of $17/shipped from him.

If the little chip on the front frightens you (heh) then you can find other deals similar to that by just hanging out there for a couple of days, great deals pop up all the time over there.

Just letting you know.

EDIT: Price was just dropped to $125... great deal. I would say go for it.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i would love to get in on this but i spent too much on a TV already...i would love to play LAst blade 2 again.[/QUOTE]

The Dreamcast import version is excellent.

[quote name='mmelzer2004']There is a system available on n-g.com for $150... it's modded for stereo (No native stereo output), has A/V and Power hookups and a single stick. He has cheap beginners titles as well at awesome prices. Just bought a loose Ghose Pilots and a rental copy of Baseball Stars Pro for a total of $17/shipped from him.

If the little chip on the front frightens you (heh) then you can find other deals similar to that by just hanging out there for a couple of days, great deals pop up all the time over there.

Just letting you know.

EDIT: Price was just dropped to $125... great deal. I would say go for it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. And I will also say that the Dreamcast Import version of Last Blade 2 is excellent.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a real Neo Geo set up. I play the arcade games whenever possible and I own a lot for my consoles [Genesis, Saturn, PSX, PS2, etc] I just got Metal Slug 4/5 and King of Fighters 2002/2003

If you don't pick up one of these games for a few months you forget how good they really are. It's a shame everything was so expensive and hard to find. Nothing on Genesis or SNES even came close, and I would have love to see some other genre with the system's power

Can anyone say Final Fantasy with Neo Geo vision and sound?

[quote name='Madskills1182']Thanks for the info. And I will also say that the Dreamcast Import version of Last Blade 2 is excellent.[/QUOTE]

Good to know... I'm planning to pick up the import in the next few days myself.

Fine, I'll help keep this alive -- I got Garou for the PS2 yesterday. It's an excellent port and the game is really, really good. I've probably invested 4 hours into it in the last day which is a ton for a fighting game and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I love how accessible the characters are in the game -- you can pick this up and play without much of an issue, but there really is a lot of depth to each character. This is definitely one of the best fighters I've played and I can't wait until I get the chance to pick up some more SNK imports.

and I posted this in the fighting game thread, but might as well put it here -- there's a bunch more Neo Geo compilations coming based on the video in the intro of Garou. Aside from those that have been announced so far, it looks as though there's also going to be a Samurai Shodown, Kizuna Encounter, World Heroes, and Ninja Masters collection sometime... which is good since Samsho II and Kizuna Encounter would be nice to have on the PS2.

I would just like to add to this AES-fest that the NGPC is still the greatest handheld ever. Match of the Millenium, Card Fighter Clash, Metal Slug... what more could you want?

The only thing the NGPC lacks is a backlight, and by playing on an emulator on the GP2X (another great handheld - and supposedly the new ones -- mk2 -- are much improved) I get that, too. And I don't have to feel guilty about ROMs because I own all but like 5 of the US games anyway.

--ff

SamShoII for the PS2 would be off the hook. Chacrana, where did you find your copy of Garou? I'd love to get into imports but the only places I know are lik-sang, play-asia, estarland, and ebay.

[quote name='depascal22']SamShoII for the PS2 would be off the hook. Chacrana, where did you find your copy of Garou? I'd love to get into imports but the only places I know are lik-sang, play-asia, estarland, and ebay.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed mine from play-asia. I would've gotten it from yesasia (they typically have the best prices), but they were out of stock so I bit the bullet and bought it for $40. NCSX.com is also a viable option though.

Gonna throw this thread back to the top...

I'm in Florida right now, so I'm not sure if my Ghost Pilots or Baseball Stars Pro have arrived at my house yet, but I have been playing them on my PSP, and I have to admit... Ghost Pilots is pretty fun, but there isn't enough bullets, just a lot of planes or choppers flying around trying to hit you, and maybe a bullet or 2 thrown in for good measure. Baseball Stars Pro, on the otherhand isn't nearly as fun as Baseball Stars 2, and doesn't seem as "Pick-up" friendly as BS2 (In BS2 you can choose automatic teammates, which makes a 15-game season much more viable and enjoyable).

I'm looking to pick up a King of Fighters game shortly, but not sure if I should pick up '98 first, or go for an older one. I have heard many people say that '97 is good too, but a good majority claim the "Dream Matches" of '98 and '02 are the best, and for good reason... all of the characters are present.

Well, I'm off to bed, want to see if others want to chime in on which Neo games people like to play, and why, and also what keeps people collecting, and what keeps people from collecting.

[quote name='Roufuss']The Dreamcast import version is excellent.[/QUOTE]

hmm that may be a good alternative thanks roufous...infact i forgot that came out for the DC...time to dust if off and play it...

Here's what I own:

AES

Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown 2
Samurai Shodown 5
Samurai Shodown 5 Special
Metal Slug
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
Art of Fighting 3
King of Fighters 94
King of Fighters 95
King of Fighters 96
King of Fighters 97
King of FIghters 98
King of Fighters 99
King of Fighters 00
King of Fighters 01
King of FIghters 02
King of FIghters 03
Baseball Stars 2
Super Baseball 2020
Magician Lord
SNK vs. Capcom: Chaos
Matrimelee
Waku Waku 7
Real Bout: Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury Special
Fighter's History Dynamite
3 Count Bout
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Fatal Fury
World Heroes Perfect
Nam '75
Last Blade

I think that's all for AES, didn't specify the U.S./JPN releases but can if anyone wants to know. Have tons of NeoPocket Color stuff but won't name all here. Now for MVS.

MVS

Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Samurai Shodown 3
Samurai Shodown 4
Samurai Shodown 5
Super DodgeBall
World Heroes Perfect
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
ShockTroopers
ShockTroopers: 2nd Squad
Last Blade
Last Blade 2
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Real Bout: Fatal Fury Special

You're my new hero. That's amazing.

In other news, I managed to win a new copy of Last Blade 2: Final Edition (the Jap version) for $27.

[quote name='achillesthegreat']
I think that's all for AES, didn't specify the U.S./JPN releases but can if anyone wants to know.[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in knowing. After all, if you own a legit American copy of the original Metal Slug on AES, then, well, how much did you spend?

i have a Neo-Geo Pocket Color and a Consolized MVS system.

I have about 10-15 extra carts if anyone is willing to trade.

PM me and ill send you my list

That's cool, I'm sorta thinking of putting a MV-1C in my AES replacing the board that's already in there... The dimensions seem to be fine, so it shouldn't be a big deal, just gotta find out how to do the wiring.

I'm off to the neo-geo.com site to read up on this. I've always looked at this system from afar. I've played a couple of ported games and have always liked SNK products. The system structure is a bit confusing and expensive.

RC

I have an MVS cab, although it's sick a the moment. I'm trying to find out if I need to replace the caps or if I need a new monitor.

I wound up getting rid of most of my Neo games that I didn't play often, so now I'm sitting on:

Super Dodge Ball
Garou: MOTW
Neo Turf Masters
Last Blade 2
Blazing Star
Puzzle Bobble 1 & 2
Baseball Stars 2

Maybe a few other I'm forgetting. It's still one of my favorite pieces of hardware.

[quote name='mmelzer2004']That's cool, I'm sorta thinking of putting a MV-1C in my AES replacing the board that's already in there... The dimensions seem to be fine, so it shouldn't be a big deal, just gotta find out how to do the wiring.[/quote]

You know you won't be able to play any of your AES games on it then, right? You'll have to go totally MVS. You can buy MVS to AES converters but not the reverse (I know they've existed but not so much anymore).

As for the wiring, you'd need a JROK or equivelant encoder for your video.

Now, you'd also want an MV-1F or an MV-1 because they actually have Neo joystick ports already in them, and you'll save yourself a TON of hassle on joysticks.

As well, with an MV-1(F) you'll also have a headphone port which you can easily pull your audio from.

That's the main reason people consolize the MV-1F, once you have the board all you need to buy is:

1) A Power Supply (you can use a PC supply but it's not reccomended).
2) A Video Encoder.
3) A 3.5MM to RCA Stereo (Female if you can find it).

And that's all you'll need. You'll have power, video, audio and controls.

The only real advantage of the MV-1 is it has the memory card adapter onboard.

Check out my buddy Briggs website:
http://www.hardmvs.com/

Good luck.

bread's done
Back