so anyone worried about the economic situation?

[quote name='MorPhiend']Like I said, you may not agree with the ways he plans to accomplish things, but I can't think of anyone who would have any reason to be more altruistic in their presidential endeavors than does Romney.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MorPhiend']Location: Provo, Utah[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...

Kidding aside, I wish I had the answer to all of this. Mostly so I could sell it to the FOX network, though.

from what i'm seeing from the news i gather that it's not a very good time to buy the house. despite the fact that housing prices are falling, it seems as though most major banks are tightening their lending activities due to the sub prime mortgage crisis, am i right,? or have i read the entire situation wrongly?

Housing prices tend to stagnate versus fall - people tend to stay in their homes rather than sell them at a loss. It's actually a good time to buy a house because of the fear of recession - sales are down and foreclosures are up, so while overall prices aren't going down, they're not going up. Moreover, sellers are more prone to offers they might consider "lowballs" in a more robust market.

If you can float a mortgage, now is a great time. If trends continue, though, it may be even better down the line. I'm not a fan of economic crises, but let's not fool ourselves: you can use the panic in sellers to your advantage.

Every decade has had it's issues with the economy dating back to at least the 1920's. So for now, not worried. I think within the next year, things will sort themselves out. The sub-prime market *IS* a mess, but at times it seems like it's being blown way out of proportion, ie the current volatile stock market seems to suggest. I am hoping for some stability in the very near future.

However, if long term capital gains tax rates on stocks change, I will cry. And if Roth IRAs suddenly become taxable, my dreams of being rich in retirement (hey, we can all dream can't we :roll:) will go up in smoke.

[quote name='mykevermin']:lol: I guess Governor doesn't count as a political career?[/quote]Yeah, I know I didn't take the time to explain better. What I meant is that most serious presidential candidates are career politicians. Mitt has spent most of his life building up and saving organizations in the private sector. And it's like he decided to take the Governor's mansion for a spin because he was bored. So yes, I don't call four years as governor from a 60 year old man a "career". And if you're being totally fair, you'd have to agree with that.

And I still say there are many that care about this country. Even though I don't agree with most of the candidates on both sides, I think most of them are good patriots.

As for the rest of your post, some good points. But your all-too-one-sided-view of things and your overly degrading language takes away from your message quite a bit. I will just be brief and say that I agree with the general idea of your post, but I would limit myself from painting any one whole party as a bunch of demonic, evil turds who want to destroy this country and I'll just say that politicians in general look toward the next ballot instead of the good of the people they serve sometimes. (I can do run-ons too.)

[quote name='Magus8472']Hmmm...[/quote]Yeah. I expect that every time I post about Romney. I'm surprised that you're the first to come out and say anything though. I'm actually from Las Vegas. Currently in school here (graduation is finally in sight, woohoo). And anyone who votes for a candidate or doesn't vote for one because of their religious affiliation needs to be shot dead in the street. I actually hate both Harry Reid and Orrin Hatch. And my family is multi-generation Las Vegans and we know Reid well. So I do have room to talk there.

And as far as the housing market, from what I have seen and from what I have heard from some pretty smart (and historically accurate) people is that it's not a bad idea to expect the housing bubble to burst sometime in the next 12-36 months. And I mean the floor is really going to fall out. I think there is a time coming where you wil be able to buy homes at pennies on the dollar, in the not too distant future. It would be great if it were not true, but it would also be nice to be ready to take advantage of such a time, no?

[quote name='MorPhiend']Yeah. I expect that every time I post about Romney. I'm surprised that you're the first to come out and say anything though. I'm actually from Las Vegas. Currently in school here (graduation is finally in sight, woohoo). And anyone who votes for a candidate or doesn't vote for one because of their religious affiliation needs to be shot dead in the street. I actually hate both Harry Reid and Orrin Hatch. And my family is multi-generation Las Vegans and we know Reid well. So I do have room to talk there.[/QUOTE]

Didn't mean to imply anything beyond the humorous observation. I live in Eugene, was raised in San Francisco and, surprise surprise, voted for Ralph Nader in '04. I'm one to talk, yeah? :)

[quote name='Magus8472']Didn't mean to imply anything beyond the humorous observation. I live in Eugene, was raised in San Francisco and, surprise surprise, voted for Ralph Nader in '04. I'm one to talk, yeah? :)[/quote]Yeah, didn't think you were trying to be rude. Like I said, I'm surprised no one has said it before.;)

No. Not at all. I sees it this way if the economy fails I will still have to work until the day I A) wither die(I have a medical condtition where I will probably die in my 40's) B) Win the lottery and enjoy the rest of my life. Either way the economy would'nt affect me much seeing as how I am poor and will probably stay poor in coming years.

[quote name='cindersphere']I am poor and will probably stay poor in coming years.[/quote]

That's the spirit!

:applause:

[quote name='mykevermin']Housing prices tend to stagnate versus fall - people tend to stay in their homes rather than sell them at a loss. It's actually a good time to buy a house because of the fear of recession - sales are down and foreclosures are up, so while overall prices aren't going down, they're not going up. Moreover, sellers are more prone to offers they might consider "lowballs" in a more robust market.

If you can float a mortgage, now is a great time. If trends continue, though, it may be even better down the line. I'm not a fan of economic crises, but let's not fool ourselves: you can use the panic in sellers to your advantage.[/quote]

Yup. And so far, I've been taking advantage of the current economic climate & profitting from it. It's a buyer's market right now and I can pretty much ask for the price I want and get it w/ very little negotiation. People just need to learn how to develop assets in both economic prosperity as well as crises.

bread's done
Back