So Assassin's Creed Controls are still kind of wonky even in IV?

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
261 (100%)
I haven't had a whole lot of exposure to the series but I played around half of 1 and I just started on IV on the PS4. The one thing I noticed right away is the controls still seem almost exactly the same. I realize with the character being able climb almost anything it will most likely never be perfect but I thought it would be improved somewhat. I think too because I'm currently playing Infamous for the first time it seems to me they got the free running\climbing more right.

Also for the fighting, although the enemy attack\counter gameplay is satisfying it seems largely the same.

I'm starting to think AC is overhyped in a lot of ways. Is it more beloved for the huge open world?

Enjoying IV regardless, just wondering what people thought.

I think the problem with the controls is that you can just about climb anything, so you end up grabbing walls when you are just trying to run past them. Its kind of a trade off. Being able to climb almost everything, you are going to run into instances where you accidentally climb something you didnt want to. Sometimes the character will even jump into hay piles when you are just running past.

I think the fighting was a bit different in AC IV. I didnt really get much satisfaction out of it as i did in past games. I think past games were easier, where you counter and kill someone. In IV it seems like you have to sword battle for way too long, and half the time another enemy will jump in and you have to counter him and stop fighting your initial guy. Sword battles in IV just felt like i wasnt doing much, even when you do slice them in the chest they keep on going. Like you arent doing any damage to them. Where in past games you would be able to stab them to death and even the other enemies would cringe at the killing, leaving them open to going after them.

Ive always liked AC, since the first one. But i generally like 3rd person games, and love exploring worlds all while collecting items. The game also had an interesting story in the beginning. After the first few they started to get crazy and i didnt really love how it ended up. Guess i was expecting more.

I think the problem with the controls is that you can just about climb anything, so you end up grabbing walls when you are just trying to run past them. Its kind of a trade off. Being able to climb almost everything, you are going to run into instances where you accidentally climb something you didnt want to. Sometimes the character will even jump into hay piles when you are just running past.

I think the fighting was a bit different in AC IV. I didnt really get much satisfaction out of it as i did in past games. I think past games were easier, where you counter and kill someone. In IV it seems like you have to sword battle for way too long, and half the time another enemy will jump in and you have to counter him and stop fighting your initial guy. Sword battles in IV just felt like i wasnt doing much, even when you do slice them in the chest they keep on going. Like you arent doing any damage to them. Where in past games you would be able to stab them to death and even the other enemies would cringe at the killing, leaving them open to going after them.

Ive always liked AC, since the first one. But i generally like 3rd person games, and love exploring worlds all while collecting items. The game also had an interesting story in the beginning. After the first few they started to get crazy and i didnt really love how it ended up. Guess i was expecting more.
really agree with the beginning of your post. I often will climb walls without meaning to, or the game thinks I'm trying to climb a wall that cant be climbed and I have no interest climbing. Have failed several tailing missions this way.

The swordfighting also seems longer compared to AC2 (only other game I've played in the series).

It's a lot better than in III with Connor wild'n out every time you got within six feet of a tree or wall. I feel like somehow Ezio was easier to control, but it may just be my imagination.

The combat is way better in IV than III also. I constantly died in III because I just could not seem to get the counter timing down. Haven't had a problem in IV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dealt with a few annoying controls in the past, but for the most part, it's not that problematic. I usually get over it fast and it doesn't bug me for too long. They made the controls a lot easier in AC3, but I have no idea how the controls are in ACIV. 

bread's done
Back