So Can anyone tell me anything about the Amiga CD32?

Otherguy676

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I just bought one at a flea market here in Orlando, no games or wires for $10. I didn't know this got a US release (it actually never officially did, but was in Canada) and I am wondering if there is any good exclusive games for it that are worth buying a controller for. Right now, this is in my 3DO and CDI collection of consoles released during the FMV phase of gaming that only had a few good exclsives (3DO) or Nintendo Oddities (CDI, I have one of the Zeldas). Does anyone here even have a Amiga CD32?

i was thinking of buying one a while back, but the game library just isnt that extensive. seems to be a good collection of shmups on it, but nothing u couldn't get on a PC engine.

Yeah, my friend's a bit Amiga nut in Europe. He said the Amiga CD32 was pretty disappointing. He knew one guy who had one years ago, who used it as a computer jut basically as a bragging thing.

Apparently the Amiga computers have an insanely better gaming library.

I have it and love it. Tons of games for it, if you can find them, hundreds. There is something about that system and it's games that keep me coming back for more. Search for Amiga CD32 on youtube and you will get a good glimpse at some of the systems best games.

Check out Super Star Dust and Deluxe Galaga (2-Player Simultaneous play). Two of my fav's. QUAK is also a great game. Tons more.

I found mine on an auction site, imported brand new boxed unit, for about $75 + $30 for shipping. This was about 6-8 months ago.

I highly recommend it :)

[quote name='retroNutZ']i was thinking of buying one a while back, but the game library just isnt that extensive. seems to be a good collection of shmups on it, but nothing u couldn't get on a PC engine.[/quote]

Interesting comment, I was a developer for commodore back in the day and also have a CD32 as well as the FMV card and SX1. There are shedloads of games for the CD32 (well over 80 and games are still being released!), also there are many downloadable CD compilations the most notable has 888 of the best Amiga games for the system ready to run on one CD. Also Analogic in the uk sell a new floppy drive which enables you to use any amiga 1200 floppy games on the cd32 and many amiga 500 games on it. The floppy adaptor can be found on ebay pretty much all the time.

For a controller, any sega megadrive controller will work, you will just lose certain functions which dont appear on those pads like the cd control buttons, again though ebay will show control pads up for £2. Try and get a hunnybee controller they are way better than the official ones. As for noteworth games, well there was a few, guardian was awesome when it came out and played really well. Trolls, oscar, dangerous streets all came bundled with the CD32 and are good fun. Simon the sorceror was great and had narration by chris barry (of red dwarf fame) this was CD32 only in this guise, also cannon fodder had a FMV movie at the beginning on the CD32 version of the development team performing the theme tune dressed as soldgiers with plastic guns (was mildly amusing back then). Microcosm was another bundled with cd32 game. Again CD32 only and when it came out blew everyone away with its 3d graphics. Gameplay was poor though so after 3 or so hours the initial awe wore off.

I would get a controller and get a copy of the entire back cd32 catalogue wich can be bought from many sellers that do mame roms, burn them to CD and insert in the cd32 (no need to chip it!), you wont be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back