So ebay seems to be down...

Bune

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
"Some of your information is not available at this time. Please try again later. "

Date: 05/09/05 Time: 08:18:12 PM PDT

We are aware the site is temporarily unavailable. We're aware of this issue and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience,
eBay

I have auctions that end soon. If the site is still down when the auctions end, what does ebay do?

[quote name='Bune']"Some of your information is not available at this time. Please try again later. "

I have auctions that end soon. If the site is still down when the auctions end, what does ebay do?[/QUOTE]

Implodes, obviously.

[quote name='Bune']see, that would actually be a good thing so I tend to not believe that. :p[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming they would rework the times so that it was like new before the crash/problem. That way - you didn't lose auction time and there wouldn't be any problems cause the last few hours of an auction are really important...

that sucks. Good thing my auctions just ended before it. Even if it does give you the time back, it will be ending later on in the night. You might miss some potential last minute bidders as well.

I can see all of my watched items, but nothing else is working for me right now. Luckily nothing I'm watching ends soon.

I don't know what they do nowadays, but I got screwed a few times by ebay back in the early days ('99, '00) because they would have frequent outages and the do NOTHING about it. I think if your auction ended during the outage they might have allowed you to relist. But what really screwed you up was when they brought it back up after being down for a few hours with just a few minutes left on your auction. Sometimes they didn't extend them at all (they may have started doing that after complaints!).

i dont think they do anything they would be too freaking lazy to reset the auctions and people would be pissed who had the highest bid. say if your auction closed at noon est time (ebay goes down from 11am to 3pm so you lose an hour) so ebay now lets your auction end at 4pm well someone gets home at 3pm and overbids the person. That 3pm person would of never bidded if ebay didnt go down so just cause ebay went down does that give the right to allow people who would never go into the auction to bid.

so i think they dont do anything cause there is just too many people who could complain and take different sides

Extending your time would be much better then NOT at all. I can only iimagaine some of the powersellers cursing ebay after last night.

This evening a primary hosting provider for eBay in the San Francisco Bay Area experienced a power outage, and all site functions were temporarily down. eBay has been working with our hosting vendor to fully restore the site. As of 22:10 PDT all listings were available to view and bid on, however, some other site functions remained intermittently available. We will work to resolve these remaining issues during the next several hours.
eBay will be issuing credits and listing extensions, per our outage policy.

The listings on eBay’s sites around the world sit on 21 complex databases. Today’s outage affected the listings on those databases in two ways:

One group of databases was unavailable from 19:33 PDT until 22:10 PDT. Since the items in these databases were unavailable for more than 2 hours, eBay will credit all fees associated with these listings. In addition, eBay has extended these listings by 24 hours and added an additional two hours to the credit and extension period.

The second group of databases was unavailable for less than 2 hours, from 19:33 PDT until 21:15 PDT. Since these items were unavailable for less than 2 hours, eBay will credit all listing fees associated with these listings, but will not extend the listings. We will also add two hours to the credit period for these listings.
Credits for both groups will include the .40 fee for any 10-day auctions that were active at 19:33 PDT.

We thank you for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. We will provide additional information on this situation later today.
I was unable to access my auctions, the "my ebay" page, or even ebay's home page. However, I was not compensated in the ways described above. My auctions ended at their appropriate time (which was between 8:30 and 9) even though no one could access them.
icon13.gif

This sucks for sellers, but is great for buyers who had the highest bid at the time it went down (like me). Got myself a NES system in original packaging (1st non-top loader style packaging), w/inserts, plastic, about 7-8 games, everything in mint condition for a good price. They must have extended the time though because that auction ended sometime very late in the night when it was suppose to end around 9PM. I think this auction would have sold for an extra $20-40.

Ah this sucks for me since I work at Sun Microsystem. Ebay's gonna blame us for the server issues. I guess I'll be having one of those boring meetings once again regarding this issue. Oh well at least I don't have to do anything for a couple of hours. :)

bread's done
Back