So I bought a Wii

Damian

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
It was the last thing I expected to do right now actually. I have credit for one at eStarland, but I have no idea when they'll ever get them in stock. I was in Wal-Mart at lunch and there, sitting in the case all by itself, was a Wii.

I couldn't resist. I'm picking up Wii Play from eStarland and will probably cash out the rest.

[quote name='munch']Good job. Enjoy Wii Sports! It's amazing.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. You'll get so much play time from that game alone.

Wii sports is awesome. Wii play is ok. I thought excite truck and Mario Party 8 were pretty fun.

Tanks owns Wii Play. Before you cash out your credit at estarland you should also pick up Rayman Raving Rabbids, thats one of the funnest games on the system. Honorable mention also goes to Excite Truck, Elebits and Twilight Princess.

[quote name='Damian']It was the last thing I expected to do right now actually. I have credit for one at eStarland, but I have no idea when they'll ever get them in stock. I was in Wal-Mart at lunch and there, sitting in the case all by itself, was a Wii.

I couldn't resist. I'm picking up Wii Play from eStarland and will probably cash out the rest.[/QUOTE]
Just buy the Wii online when you can and return the Wii you have to WalMart within 90 days.

I recommend Godfather Blackhand Edition if you don't already own it for another system (and maybe even if you do!).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Tanks owns Wii Play. Before you cash out your credit at estarland you should also pick up Rayman Raving Rabbids, thats one of the funnest games on the system. Honorable mention also goes to Excite Truck, Elebits and Twilight Princess.[/quote]I highly recommend waiting for Raving Rabbids 2 that's coming out later this year. It's going to be so much better than the first one.

When I bought my Wii from WalMart, the serial number printed on the receipt.

Play and Sports both have some good timekilling games, I'm loving RE4, and Paper Mario is pretty cool too.

[quote name='dtcarson']When I bought my Wii from WalMart, the serial number printed on the receipt.

Play and Sports both have some good timekilling games, I'm loving RE4, and Paper Mario is pretty cool too.[/QUOTE]
Yes. When he can buy the Wii online, he will return the Wii he bought at Walmart to Walmart.

dont buy any launch games right away, they've all been out for almost a year now. Should be price drops soon.

[quote name='lanleague']Yes. When he can buy the Wii online, he will return the Wii he bought at Walmart to Walmart.[/QUOTE]

Why would he buy on at Walmart at all then? Just wait for it to come in stock online. I know you usually don't have to pay tax for online purchases, but that's only 17.00 or so depending on your tax rate. If shipping's not free, that means you are paying a premium of 10-12 bucks or so to play the wii *now*. Even if you return the WM one, if you used a credit card, unless you pay it off, you're paying interest on the 'daily average balance'.
*shrug* I've certainly bought items online, then returned that item to the more expensive B&M store with my receipt, but I honestly don't see the point of this.

[quote name='dtcarson']Why would he buy on at Walmart at all then? Just wait for it to come in stock online. I know you usually don't have to pay tax for online purchases, but that's only 17.00 or so depending on your tax rate. If shipping's not free, that means you are paying a premium of 10-12 bucks or so to play the wii *now*. Even if you return the WM one, if you used a credit card, unless you pay it off, you're paying interest on the 'daily average balance'.
*shrug* I've certainly bought items online, then returned that item to the more expensive B&M store with my receipt, but I honestly don't see the point of this.[/QUOTE]
You missed the part where I had credit at eStarland saved for the express purpose of buying a Wii when they came in stock. Buying it in store cost me more because I didn't pay out $300 for that $300 worth of credit I have there (I probably paid about half to two thirds that). I doubt eStarland will get them in stock in the next 90 days, but if they did I could theoretically return my current one to Wal-Mart and pay less overall. Shipping is less than tax, I think, and there's no interest (debit card, not credit card). I'm not going to bother though, I'll use that credit on some other items that tend to cost the same anywhere.

I see I missed out on the free Opera browser, that sucks. Maybe I'll get some Wii Points, but there's not a whole lot of VC content I'm interested in. I have to say XBLA is far superior there (even in price!).

So far I only have RE4, but that game isn't that scary, it's fucking intense/fearful. Makes me not want to play it anymore, even though I almost beat the one on the GC. Motion control makes that game even more fearful than it already is.

[quote name='Will D Thrill']I highly recommend waiting for Raving Rabbids 2 that's coming out later this year. It's going to be so much better than the first one.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I was glad to be able to dump my copy at GC and get $38 for it during the 50% bonus credit promo. Now I have Rayman 2 preordered at EB using the trade 2 deal (so I got it for about $20 in real money).

The first one is great, but it is WAY overdue for a price drop, especially considering the sequel is coming so soon. The first one is worth getting, but wait for $20 on it. I would recommend Elebits though. I have no idea if a price drop is imminent on that, but it is a great game.

Otherwise you picked up the Wii at a GREAT time, because after a slight dry spell, a ton of good stuff is coming out each month through Dec. Mario Strikers comes out in a few days with actual, real, online play - pretty much a first for a Nintendo console (The Wii Pokemon is apparently lame in that regard). Then you have Metroid in a month. Those two along with Wii Sports/Play, Zelda, Super Paper Mario, and a couple of the third party games we've mentioned ought to be enough to carry you through till Mario Galaxy/SSBB in Nov/Dec.

My Wii had been shunted aside in favor of my new and shiny 360 this summer, but it will take front and center again starting next week.

[quote name='Damian']I was in Wal-Mart at lunch and there, sitting in the case all by itself, was a Wii.

I couldn't resist.[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to me a week ago...weird.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']So far I only have RE4, but that game isn't that scary, it's fucking intense/fearful. Makes me not want to play it anymore, even though I almost beat the one on the GC. Motion control makes that game even more fearful than it already is.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure if you find it "fearful" that you're scared ;)

I love RE4. I'm on my third playthrough now and its still fun. All the damn modes and whatnot.

[quote name='io']Otherwise you picked up the Wii at a GREAT time, because after a slight dry spell, a ton of good stuff is coming out each month through Dec. [/QUOTE]
That actually means I picked it up at a bad time. I only get the very exceptional game at release. I'm a CAG, I get all my games when they get cheap. If the best stuff is just coming out now, I could have waited I guess. I don't regret buying it at all, but the library does seem to be skimpier than I was expecting. I got my 360 about a year after release and the library of cheap stuff was quite good. I'm hoping I can get a good deal on at least Elebits, Mercury Meltdown and RE4, possibly Twilight Princess (but 1st party titles don't drop much).

Well, I'm a CAG too, and if you were paying attention you would have gotten all the good Wii releases preordered for $25 or so (possibly less if you were able to get TMNT from GC using trade credit) using the EB/GS trade 2 deal ;). That's how I will be getting all these new releases the CAG way. Sure, it feels good to get a game after a massive price drop, but sometimes it's fun to get in on some games (even some that aren't AAA) at the very beginning.

And your last point is an important one - the first party stuff won't drop any time soon. Waiting a year won't get you Twilight Princess, Strikers, Metroid, SSBB, or Mario Galaxy any cheaper. I actually like that Nintendo does this as it means I can buy them at release for full price (well, not really given trade-in deals and trade credit that costs less than cash) and not worry about it. You can do the same - and then wait for some of the third party stuff to drop while you play the Nintendo games ;).

[quote name='io']Well, I'm a CAG too, and if you were paying attention you would have gotten all the good Wii releases preordered for $25 or so (possibly less if you were able to get TMNT from GC using trade credit) using the EB/GS trade 2 deal ;).[/QUOTE]
I wasn't paying much attention, since I didn't have a Wii then. Any of those deals still available?

[quote name='Damian']I wasn't paying much attention, since I didn't have a Wii then. Any of those deals still available?[/QUOTE]

D'oh! They just ended on Sunday.

HOWEVER, if you have any old DS or PSP games you want to dump, there is a $10 bonus for 2 games that just started today (runs through the 19th). Maybe you can use that to build up credit for something like Metroid. There's a thread in the deals forum about it. So, while not as good as the trade 2 deal, you can build up some credit for less than full cost (or just from games you aren't playing any more) and get a significant discount on something like Metroid (or Mario or SSBB) that won't be dropping any time soon.

bread's done
Back