So, I bought an engagement ring yesterday... how do I propose?

Fortune_P_Dawg

CAGiversary!
So I've decided to ask my ladyfriend to be my wife. I went and bought a diamond engagement ring yesterday (solitaire, 1/2 carat, yellow gold, $1350) and now I need to figure out how to do this.

Where do I take her? What do I say to her? What do I do? I don't want to just bust through her front door and throw the ring at her... I want her to remember it, and I want it to be romantic.

I made a topic last week that's more or less led up to this point. For reference:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271036

Anyone have any ideas?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Take her out for some chicken nachos, and then put it on top of the sour cream.

You said that's your tradition, right?[/QUOTE]

That's not a half bad idea.

[quote name='DAWG26']Stick it in her pooper.[/QUOTE]

Making up for the fact that it wasn't said early enough in the other thread. I like this.

Anyway, I like the vacation idea. Though I'm not sure how much money you have left after the ring. Maybe just a weekend or day trip somewhere?

[quote name='wildcpac']Take the ring back. She is going to look at the size and laugh at you.[/QUOTE]

Is there a picture of the ring I'm missing?

Your proposal requires three items:

1. Plumber's outfit.
2. Pink dress.
3. Ruffies.

You're proposing rape, right?

[quote name='Chronis']Making up for the fact that it wasn't said early enough in the other thread. I like this.

Anyway, I like the vacation idea. Though I'm not sure how much money you have left after the ring. Maybe just a weekend or day trip somewhere?[/QUOTE]

While that's a really good idea, we have trouble getting away due to the fact that we each have a kid, and we both work full time. The last time we were able to get away for the weekend was March.

I was really hoping to pop the question on Sunday night as there's a really cool fireworks show going on here in Cincy (over the river). I just don't know how to go about it.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Is there a picture of the ring I'm missing?

Your proposal requires three items:

1. Plumber's outfit.
2. Pink dress.
3. Ruffies.

You're proposing rape, right?[/QUOTE]

If she bitches about the ring (I know for a fact she won't) I will straight dump her and not look back; frankly, that would be an enormous insult.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']While that's a really good idea, we have trouble getting away due to the fact that we each have a kid, and we both work full time. The last time we were able to get away for the weekend was March. [/QUOTE]
Bummer...

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']I just don't know how to go about it.[/QUOTE]
The best thing you can do is tell her how you honestly feel. If you try something that isn't right for you, there's a chance that it'll seem fake and forced. And considering that she already brought the subject up, if it does end up seeming forced, she might feel yout are only doing this to please her and not because you really want to.

You could pay a lot of money to get someone to make "Will you marry me, nacho lady?" in fireworks or suttin suttin.

Or have each firework get chicken nachos attached to it, and it'll all rain down on you two. When she realizes what it is, she'll either hate you, love it, or won't be able to speak after being knocked unconscious from a stray jalapeño.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']You could pay a lot of money to get someone to make "Will you marry me, nacho lady?" in fireworks or suttin suttin.

Or have each firework get chicken nachos attached to it, and it'll all rain down on you two. When she realizes what it is, she'll either hate you, love it, or won't be able to speak after being knocked unconscious from a stray jalapeño.[/QUOTE]

The mental image just injected into my brain has me ready to piss my pants. Thanks! :p

The fact you paid $1350 for the ring insults me. I mean its a ring, it material. Is she materialistic? If yes, why bother. If not, get a cheaper ring geez. Also asking here, not the best idea. If she ever finds out, that'll probably screw you up.

EDIT hell here is my idea. Since there is a lot of nacho ideas. I figure why not, the proposal doesn't have to romantic to be remember, it can be outrageous or funny. So do something like they've said but maybe do a "take out" or "take home" nachos. Just call or and say you're coming over with nachos blah blah, now either have them empty and just a ring box inside or place the ring on top right before you get there (however be careful it doesn't fall deeper into the food or that she isn't paying attention and eats it!!!) hence my empty box and just a ring box idea. At first play off her reaction, huh what? Something wrong with your nachos? I thought I heard them laughing when they handed me the order (now you get up and walked around assuming she is sitting across from you and look into the box while getting down to one knee.) Huh that's wierd (pick up the ring box and open it) well while its here I might as well.... and you get the idea.

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']While that's a really good idea, we have trouble getting away due to the fact that we each have a kid, and we both work full time. The last time we were able to get away for the weekend was March.

I was really hoping to pop the question on Sunday night as there's a really cool fireworks show going on here in Cincy (over the river). I just don't know how to go about it.[/QUOTE]
Until you mentioned the WEBN fireworks, I hadn't realized you were from the nasty. Where are these delicious chicken nachos you mention? My lady friend and I must try them.

Back on topic, the fireworks may be an acceptable place. I'd recommend the restaurant where you had your first date. Or maybe throw a party at your place (catered with chicken nachos?) and invite all her friends.

You don't have to propose right away. Put some time and thought into it, because people will ask for the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AvidWriter']The fact you paid $1350 for the ring insults me. I mean its a ring, it material. Is she materialistic? If yes, why bother. If not, get a cheaper ring geez. Also asking here, not the best idea. If she ever finds out, that'll probably screw you up.[/QUOTE]
Not everyone has your budget, and frankly $1350 for a nice piece of jewelry is not that much money. In fact, I'm very surprised he found a half-carat diamond that cheaply, much less mounted.

[quote name='Quillion']Not everyone has your budget, and frankly $1350 for a nice piece of jewelry is not that much money. In fact, I'm very surprised he found a half-carat diamond that cheaply, much less mounted.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That sounds like a good deal for what he got, and everyone's budget is different. $1350 is a ton of money to some people, not a huge deal to others.

[quote name='Quillion']Until you mentioned the WEBN fireworks, I hadn't realized you were from the nasty. Where are these delicious chicken nachos you mention? My lady friend and I must try them.

Back on topic, the fireworks may be an acceptable place. I'd recommend the restaurant where you had your first date. Or maybe throw a party at your place (catered with chicken nachos?) and invite all her friends.

You don't have to propose right away. Put some time and thought into it, because people will ask for the story.[/QUOTE]

Another Cincy boy, huh? This site seems is full of em... ;)

Bar Louie on The Levee has the best chicken nachos in existence. Also, that's not a bad idea... I got a place in Newport (with a view of the river no less) I rent to a buddy of mine. I need to get him on the ball and get a party together.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I love how everyone is still stuck on the nachos :lol:[/QUOTE]

Because they're beyond delicious!

[quote name='Quillion']Not everyone has your budget, and frankly $1350 for a nice piece of jewelry is not that much money. In fact, I'm very surprised he found a half-carat diamond that cheaply, much less mounted.[/QUOTE]

No joke... I really had to hunt. It's of the highest clarity (FL) you can buy and the second best cut (excellent) so I did indeed get a very good deal.

And for the record, $1350 ain't cheap for me. But it's not going to throw my entire budget off balance. I just cheapen up a bit for the next month or two, big hairy deal.

You know you can use the multiquote button, right? The one to the right of the regular quote buttons as messages to a queue.

Anyway, if these chicken nachos are so good, how come you have yet to share photographic evidence with your CAG brothers!?

Write "Marry Me?" on the top of your shaft. Squeeze the tip of your penis into the ring and tell you have a surprise for her. Drop your pants and you don't have to say anything. For fun, write "Wedding" on your balls and see if she gets the pun.

[quote name='Chronis']You know you can use the multiquote button, right? The one to the right of the regular quote buttons as messages to a queue.

Anyway, if these chicken nachos are so good, how come you have yet to share photographic evidence with your CAG brothers!?[/QUOTE]

Okay! Okay... next time I'm going to snap a picture.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Write "Marry Me?" on the top of your shaft. Squeeze the tip of your penis into the ring and tell you have a surprise for her. Drop your pants and you don't have to say anything. For fun, write "Wedding" on your balls and see if she gets the pun.[/QUOTE]

That's quite hilarious, and I think she'd get a kick out of it too... That is until it sets in, "wait, was that my proposal?!!?!"

[quote name='Fortune_P_Dawg']That's quite hilarious, and I think she'd get a kick out of it too... That is until it sets in, "wait, was that my proposal?!!?!"[/QUOTE]

That's the best part. You get to watch her explain how you proposed when everyone asks.

Wow, congrats. I actually remember commenting on the last thread. Good stuff dude. How to do it would be kinda hard for anyone to pick than yourselves because you should know what she likes best. I say hide it in those chicken nachos and let her fish it out of the cheese (had to put a nacho joke in). If shes the romantic type, make it all special with a dinner and all that. Maybe have the waiter bring out the ring on a special plate or something after the meal. If she appreciates humor, the nachos could work ;) And since you both have kids, maybe do it at Chuck E Cheese while the little ones are in the ball pit. Or you can do what my friend did and just pull it out of the arm rest and throw it at her while your driving. Extra points if it goes out the window.

Stick the ring in a black Scrabble letter bag. Ask her to play Scrabble, and when she pulls it out, ask her to marry you.

Simple and cute.

Can you send me an order of chicken nachos?? They sound delicious. Also: I agree with putting the ring in with the nachos

What you need to do is dress like this.

154838-6.jpg

Run in with some Chicken nachos and then trip her ass. I recommend moving like this. If you can do that, give her the chicken nachos while you're on top of her, hand her the ring then say DELIVERY! Nobody can say no to the Tostada Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wOt0IqvFWA

Just go with something you'll know she'll like... you should know her well enough by now to figure out how it should go.

For reference, my ex would only see her moms side of the family in PA once or twice a year, and I wanted her to be able to share the experience with them without having to wait most or all of a year to do so. So I proposed out there at the annual family reunion. So, you don't have to get crazy, just do something you know that will be special to her, be it chicken nachos or a party or vacation or whatnot.

If you have to ask us how to propose to your girlfriend then you are far from ready to propose and get married.

Learn to think for yourself first before proposing.

^EDIT: You! Yes, you in sector 7G. I'm not paying you to post things.

[quote name='Theduck']If you have to ask us how to propose to your girlfriend then you are far from ready to propose and get married.

Learn to think for yourself first before proposing.[/QUOTE]

Pfft. Obeying somebody with no authority over is a precursor to a successful marriage.

If he changed his signature to "Yes, dear. I'm sorry.", his marriage would have a 90% chance of lasting.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Write "Marry Me?" on the top of your shaft. Squeeze the tip of your penis into the ring and tell you have a surprise for her. Drop your pants and you don't have to say anything. For fun, write "Wedding" on your balls and see if she gets the pun.[/QUOTE]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for a great morning laugh/cry.

[quote name='Number83']Let's go full out Cliche...Baseball game. Proposal during the 7th inning stretch, over the Jumbotron.[/QUOTE]

That would be worth the price of admission if the "Marry Me?" idea was used.

bread's done
Back