So I got banned from NeoGAF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, for fucks sake, it happened again. This one is even dumber.

It was in a thread about the newly-appointed Crimean Attorney General, who has become a small internet celebrity overnight, because she's quite attractive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788144

I posted this, "Crimean war redeemed?"

The whole thread was closed down hours ago, then I just randomly got banned, along with a lot of other people who made similar joking posts. Seriously? WTF? Is there no fun allowed on NeoGAF? Good Lord.
What message do you get when you try to log in?

Why do you keep going back then?

You totally remind me of this joke about this dude who keeps trying to kill a bear. I'm not typing the whole thing out, but the punchline is the bear saying "You're not here to hunt, are you?" I'm sure other people have heard it before.
Lack of better options.

What message do you get when you try to log in?
That I'm banned for that post until April 3rd.

Gamefaqs threads come up in search results a lot. They may "typ lik dis" and use "tho" instead of "though" but I usually get the answer to my question.

Why do you keep going back then?

You totally remind me of this joke about this dude who keeps trying to kill a bear. I'm not typing the whole thing out, but the punchline is the bear saying "You're not here to hunt, are you?" I'm sure other people have heard it before.
this times 90 million. its an internet gaming forum, i'm sure there are a couple other hundred thousand options for you out there.

this times 90 million. its an internet gaming forum, i'm sure there are a couple other hundred thousand options for you out there.
Like, maybe, just maybe, this one! :O
I like CAG and all, but the user base just isn't large enough, discussions move at a snail's pace at times, at least outside of the Video Games Deals forum. And I don't know of any other forums as large as NeoGAF, or as well used by people actually in the industry. Reddit's no good. Giant Bomb is too small. GameFAQs is a joke, as is IGN. There just aren't a lot of good options out there, at least not for me.

What makes you think we care if you got banned there again. First time was like "oh ok those silly kids"... Second time? Yaaaawwwwn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's not really worth whining about.  I know it can suck, especially for those with boring desk jobs that use forums to pass the time.  But plenty of other stuff to do around the net.

I like GAF a lot, like you say CAG is just too damn slow anymore--posting traffic had been dropping for years, and it seems like it took another big dive after the move to the 3.0 software drove some away.

GAF goes a little too far in the other extreme though with having one big gaming are threads move crazy fast and often don't have much discussion beyond a ton of people responding to the OP.

Moderation is the same too extremes as well IMO.  It's a bit too lax here on CAG with some trolls ruining the next gen threads and not getting banned, where as GAF is frequently too quick with the ban for minor stuff.  Honestly, I prefer the latter though as my patience for trolls and idiots isn't what it once was. So I probably spend more time over there these days.

What makes you think we care if you got banned there again. First time was like "oh ok those silly kids"... Second time? Yaaaawwwwn.
Ah, my favorite CAG. I assume you must care that I got banned, or you wouldn't have read this thread. Thanks for checking it out!

Yeah, it's not really worth whining about. I know it can suck, especially for those with boring desk jobs that use forums to pass the time. But plenty of other stuff to do around the net.
I know when I had my last job, I literally spent hours on message boards reading and responding. They were a godsend. Now that I'm unemployed, I don't feel compelled to post as much.

I got banned there today, no warning, no nothing. I had made a post on a thread talking about MS's 180 on their various Xbone DRM policies, suggesting that I recall the subject of no used games first surfacing as a ps3 rumor. Well, apparently someone else had made a similar comment before me and gotten banned for it( why such a comment is ban-worthy, has yet to be explained). So, one of the forum mods assumed that I was the same person as the one who got banned, posting under a different name. I try to log in, and come to a banned screen telling me that I'm the poster who got banned, and that its a permanent ban. WTF??!! They see someone has a similar opinion to someone who got banned, and automatically decide that I MUST be the same person. No warnings, and I have no history of forum TOS infractions. Im guessing after this incident that Im better off.

Any behavior on GAF is bannable behavior.
No doubt.

You made the same post that gets reported here all the time. Mod probably tired of idiots saying the same thing over and over again and getting reported. Can't blame them.
Give me a break. There's no sense when it comes to the moderators on Neogaf. 99% of them think they're gods that can use that site as their own personal judgment ground. You ever use that site frequently? I do. Never made an account, never will.

There is a reason why Gaf closely resembles gameFAQs
Nonsense. I've suffered the ire of the child moderators of GameFAQs, but that site is like SlickDeals compared to the gaf.

GAF has some pretty draconian mod policies. I've been banned 2x - once for telling someone to 'shut the hell up' and the other for pointing out Sony's questionable promotion tactics in one of the countless MS-bashing threads. It annoyed me, sure, but I prefer it to CAG's laissez faire approach. I enjoy both sites equally but you guys know this is a breeding ground for trolls, especially after 3.0 (not sure what happened).

The trick with GAF is mostly knowing which topics to tread lightly in. NPDs are always messy. Mentions of Polygon are always messy. Xbox etc. So I avoid.

Now, where I believe they truly go overboard is on discussions of race and gender. I'm all for a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to willfully ignorant posts, but there have been instances where I felt people were unfairly banned for giving sincere
(albeit unsavory) opinions. You can't bridge any type of understanding by simply banishing someone who sees things differently. Probably only angers them and nothing is resolved.

I'm a member of several forums. This is the first time I've ever been banned in this manner for no reason. I even reached out to forum owner to ask why I was banned. No reply whatsoever, what kind of a-holes are running that asylum??!

It's their message board, if they want to run it like a hen house when a fox is in there trying to steal the eggs, that's their option.  

I've been banned there 2x, once for port begging as they call it and once for a off-color remark.

It's a right of passage to get banned there. Just lurk if they lock you out.

I've been banned there 2x, once for port begging as they call it and once for a off-color remark.

It's a right of passage to get banned there. Just lurk if they lock you out.
If you get banned from a forum like that it just proves you're a normal person.

I follow that site but it is way too high traffic to follow any responses to your own posts. So I just lurk.

Anytime some big gaming news drops, the thread explodes to a thousand posts in a few hours. It's nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back