So I got rear-ended

[quote name='Storamin']When I got rearended I was lucky enough that the dumbass was going 2wce the speedlimit and left about 150ft of skid marks. Also it helped that we both had the same insurnace agent. Let's just say I got a lot more for my car than I paid for it when it got totaled haha. Bitches![/quote]

Pretty much the estimate was about 1/2 of what I paid for it. That was just the front part. I know it will come back better. Since it was crashed though, might as well pay it off and sell it once it is fixed. Time to get a new car...man it didn't even have a year with me.

If it comes better than before, I might stick with it some more.

Yeahokthenfu, there are other things you might have to take care of depending on which state you live in. For example in California you have to fill out a form within 10 days with the DMV if the damages from the accident exceed $750 or your license could get suspended.

Insurance is an interesting industry, especially since its run by the state instead of the government so each state is different. In Florida bodily injury liability is optional where it’s mandatory in all other states I believe. In New York you can carry separate coverage to protect your spouse so they won’t sue you. For those that don’t know PIP is Personal Injury Protection, coverage available in states referred to as “no-fault” states although there are no true no fault states in the US.

Not to sound immorral but I would go to 3 different places, get 3 different quotes with them examining inside of the trunk to make sure there was no frame damage, get the highest estimate and then triple that amount and tell the other guy to pay that or you will turn it into your insurance company, might be immoral but you are going oout of your way on this one.

Always, always, always file a claim. Usually it is best to get some witnesses and the police involved, too. I have known far too many people who have been screwed because the person said they wanted to handle it out of pocket and never came through.

[quote name='SadieDee'][quote name='Indiana']
In a no-fault state I can crash into you and each parties insurance pays for their own damages. It really sucks if you ask me. If it was an accident where you were not in the wrong your insurance is not "suppose" to increase.

Why didn't you call the police on your neighbors?[/quote]

Oh, I sure did. :twisted:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm glad I'm not in a no-fault state.[/quote]

Sadiedee, Indiana's explination is not correct.

Randomthts, Very impressive knowledge of how insurance works :D

[quote name='Othergods'][quote name='SadieDee'][quote name='Indiana']
In a no-fault state I can crash into you and each parties insurance pays for their own damages. It really sucks if you ask me. If it was an accident where you were not in the wrong your insurance is not "suppose" to increase.

Randomthts, Very impressive knowledge of how insurance works :D[/quote]

Thank you, but not as impressive since I hold insurance licenses in three states. Theoretically I should know a lot more.

[quote name='Randomthts'][quote name='Othergods'][quote name='SadieDee'][quote name='Indiana']

Randomthts, Very impressive knowledge of how insurance works :D[/quote]

Thank you, but not as impressive since I hold insurance licenses in three states. Theoretically I should know a lot more.[/quote]

Uh, could you tell me how it would work in California?

[quote name='beerguy961']
Uh, could you tell me how it would work in California?[/quote]

How what works in CA?

If you’re referring to an SR1, it’s a form all drivers have to fill out and turn in to the DMV within 10 days of the accident if the damages exceed $750 of if anyone has been injured or killed. Failure to do so could lead to the suspension of your license.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/sr/sr1.htm follow that URL for more info.

Just use the insurance company- that's what you pay all the money for anyway.

Ebay is wrong- people are evil.

I love my insurace company. USAA. At the end of every year, if they have a surplus, they divide it up and send checks out to all of their members. I got Almost $200 last year.

USAA is an interesting place, it is so big they have a tram running down the center taking people from one end of the building to the other.

So I take it you or your fam are military or ex BigNick?

bread's done
Back