So I passed the FL Bar

gofishn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Man what a relief. Glad that thing is over with, what a miserable experience...I figured I'd be drinking tonight one way or the other, but I'm definitely glad the drinks will be in celebration.

[quote name='tehweezner']how was your whole law experience so far? i'm thinking of applying to law school this year[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I thought it wasn't that bad. I enjoyed law school quite a bit, mainly because you usually only have one exam per class per semester. Basically, if you keep up with your reading, then study hard around exam time, it isn't all that difficult. The bar was a huge pain in the ass though. For two months, I spent every day by going to BarBri class from 9-12, then studying with a friend from 1-6 or 7. Actually taking the exam was crazy, since there was somewhere around 2000 people in the same room taking the exam at the same time. It was 2 days long, 6 hours each day. I feel like I've had a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders now knowing that I passed.

[quote name='gofishn']Man what a relief. Glad that thing is over with, what a miserable experience...I figured I'd be drinking tonight one way or the other, but I'm definitely glad the drinks will be in celebration.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! I've done the whole bar thing twice (passed both the Indiana and Illinois bars). I know how much weight gets lifted off your shoulders when you see those results. Go have those drinks, and welcome to the profession.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Congrats on your accomplishment! Of course, now you've opened yourself up to a ridiculous amount of lawyer jokes :D[/QUOTE]

I love lawyer jokes. I typically can't stand lawyers anyway, so I say let them have it.

[quote name='strummerbs']Congrats! I've done the whole bar thing twice (passed both the Indiana and Illinois bars). I know how much weight gets lifted off your shoulders when you see those results. Go have those drinks, and welcome to the profession.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll probably end up taking the Georgia or North Carolina bar in a year or two so hopefully it won't be as bad the second time around.

[quote name='gofishn']Thanks, I'll probably end up taking the Georgia or North Carolina bar in a year or two so hopefully it won't be as bad the second time around.[/QUOTE]

The difference, for me at least, was finding time to study for the second one while working a full-time firm job. Luckily, Illinois only required me to take the state law essay exams. It would have been tough to take the entire multi-state multiple choice section again (I hate that thing).

[quote name='strummerbs']The difference, for me at least, was finding time to study for the second one while working a full-time firm job. Luckily, Illinois only required me to take the state law essay exams. It would have been tough to take the entire multi-state multiple choice section again (I hate that thing).[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think if I wait a year I only need to take the state exam. I hated both parts, but the multi-state really blew.

Congrats! I know the feeling well - I took the NY and NJ bar exams over a 3 day span back in 2003. What a pain in the ass. It was such a relief finding out I passed. Although now almost 5 years later (holy crap) I wish I never went to law school in the first place.

[quote name='javeryh']Congrats! I know the feeling well - I took the NY and NJ bar exams over a 3 day span back in 2003. What a pain in the ass. It was such a relief finding out I passed. Although now almost 5 years later (holy crap) I wish I never went to law school in the first place.[/QUOTE]

But you're the lawyerman we all love! Seriously dude it's too bad you don't live around here as if I had a problem and needed a lawyer I'd probably hire you.

[quote name='javeryh']Although now almost 5 years later (holy crap) I wish I never went to law school in the first place.[/quote]

how come? what might have you done instead?

[quote name='tehweezner']how come? what might have you done instead?[/quote]
The nice thing about having a law degree is that it opens opportunities up in areas other than working as a lawyer. A law degree does not mean that you have to work as a lawyer at a law firm. Here are some books that show what you can do with a law degree besides being a lawyer:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...ywords=things+to+do+with+a+law+degree&x=0&y=0

[quote name='javeryh']Although now almost 5 years later (holy crap) I wish I never went to law school in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I hear that. I'm working major hours right now and it feels like I have permanent homework. It's like I'm constantly doing all the crap work I hated doing when I was in school, and it still sucks. Oh well, at least I get paid for it now. I mean, there are worse jobs out there, but it can be very frustrating/annoying.

[quote name='tehweezner']how come? what might have you done instead?[/quote]

I have undergraduate degrees in both engineering (B.S.) and architecture (B.A.). My original plan while I was in college was to go to grad school and become an architect - I love that shit. Unfortunately, in my early 20s I was blinded by money and thought the quickest path to financial success would be to become a lawyer. I had several friends who are no smarter than I am and they were pulling down six figures before their 25th birthday so I thought if they can do it I can too. I was kind of right because I'm doing pretty good for myself but I failed to take into consideration the misery and soul sucking that goes along with it. 99% of lawyers really think the world will stop spinning if they don't come to work or something. Everyone is so self-important and it makes me sick.

ejgarc is right though - it opens up a ton of doors, I think. People are generally impressed by someone who has a law degree (even though I'm convinced anyone can do it if they are willing to work really really hard) and given the choice between two equally suited candidates for whatever job the lawyer will get it 99 out of 100 times.

[quote name='javeryh'] 99% of lawyers really think the world will stop spinning if they don't come to work or something. Everyone is so self-important and it makes me sick.

[/quote]

I have seen partners walk on water and perform unimaginable feats. They are truly a sight to behold!

Also congrats to gofishn! Good to see 3 years of work paying off!

Congrats man! I'll be attempting the CPA exam at the end of the year... NOT looking forward to it. Quick question--Up in the Cleveland area, the market is bone dry for accountants... are you aware of dry markets for lawyers anywhere?

[quote name='ejgarc']I have seen partners walk on water and perform unimaginable feats. They are truly a sight to behold![/quote]

I've seen it too!!! :rofl:

[quote name='xmrblondex']you > Jack Thompson[/quote]

It took ten posts to mention JT? I'm disappointed in CAG today...:cry:

Congratulations! I'm not a lawyer but I had to pass a board examination for my occupation and that was a heck of a relief when I got notification that I passed.

[quote name='javeryh']
even though I'm convinced anyone can do it if they are willing to work really really hard [/quote]

That's what I learned from the movie Catch Me If You Can. I have a hard time believing it though.

I agree 100% that anyone can do it. I tell people that all the time...I just don't recommend it. If I could go back in time and do it all over, I'd most likely do something different. I do however appreciate all the thanks everyone. It feels really good to know that it's over with.

[quote name='javeryh']I have undergraduate degrees in both engineering (B.S.) and architecture (B.A.). My original plan while I was in college was to go to grad school and become an architect - I love that shit. Unfortunately, in my early 20s I was blinded by money and thought the quickest path to financial success would be to become a lawyer. I had several friends who are no smarter than I am and they were pulling down six figures before their 25th birthday so I thought if they can do it I can too. I was kind of right because I'm doing pretty good for myself but I failed to take into consideration the misery and soul sucking that goes along with it. 99% of lawyers really think the world will stop spinning if they don't come to work or something. Everyone is so self-important and it makes me sick.

ejgarc is right though - it opens up a ton of doors, I think. People are generally impressed by someone who has a law degree (even though I'm convinced anyone can do it if they are willing to work really really hard) and given the choice between two equally suited candidates for whatever job the lawyer will get it 99 out of 100 times.[/quote]

What did your friends do exactly to pull off 6 figures?

bread's done
Back