SO I want a SSD and amazon has a sale

LlamaNinja

CAGiversary!
I have looked over a few places and I will say I want to spend under 200 for a SSD. I also want at least 140+ GB of storage for it. It will be my windows SSD and my games and stuff will be on a secondary HDD. Does anyone have any tips on what I should get. I have found two drives that I like Drive 1 (Kingston SSD) and Drive 2(G.Skill SSD). If you know a better one or have an opinion to guide me to a smaller drive I would like to hear it. Here is the link to the amazon sale.

The OCZ Vertex 4 and Samsung 830/840 pro generally have fantastic reviews because they use non-sandforce controllers. I personally own a Vertex 4 and it is fantastic.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']I'd recommend the Samsung 830. I have the 128gb model and it works great. You can get the 256gb model for $189 brand new free shipping on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-830...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item35c4ad4675[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Love my 128GB 830 to death. If you're just using it as a drive for your OS, you shouldn't need much more than that. I grabbed mine for $70 awhile back, not sure what they go for now though.

Everyone responded after I got my SSD. I will get it Friday just gotta figure out a good setup. I had to update Windows 8 from a program so I guess I gotta make a disc for it now.

I picked up a Kingston hyperx 120 gig ssd. Works amazing. 111 gig out of the box. Very fast. Love it for gaming. I also have sata 2 ports on my mobo and still have insane speeds. Highly recommend this drive. Just check Amazon, it's 139, I was lucky enough to pick it up for 89.99 a month ago.

[quote name='LlamaNinja']Everyone responded after I got my SSD. I will get it Friday just gotta figure out a good setup. I had to update Windows 8 from a program so I guess I gotta make a disc for it now.[/QUOTE]

You posted at 3:20PM and the first response came in at 5:11PM, with more coming like 15 minutes after that. It's not like it took two weeks for replies. Not really sure what the point was of posting a question and asking for input if you were just gonna go ahead and order whatever you wanted two minutes later anyways. May as well have just made the thread "Hey guys, just ordered an SSD".

Note: I know that comes off sounding like a dick, but it's not supposed to. Just generally curious as to the point of the thread if you weren't willing to wait for input.

[quote name='SEH']You posted at 3:20PM and the first response came in at 5:11PM, with more coming like 15 minutes after that. It's not like it took two weeks for replies. Not really sure what the point was of posting a question and asking for input if you were just gonna go ahead and order whatever you wanted two minutes later anyways. May as well have just made the thread "Hey guys, just ordered an SSD".

Note: I know that comes off sounding like a dick, but it's not supposed to. Just generally curious as to the point of the thread if you weren't willing to wait for input.[/QUOTE]
Well I have a busy week ahead so I was trying to get the SSD by Today so on Amazon since I do have prime I had to order before 6pm. I run a small store though and it gets busy after 5pm or so, so I did have a time limit. I also looked at various sites to research the drive and grew a liking to the g.skill even though nothing was listed on tomshardware(at least through a search). I like Samsung but I didnt want to pay that much for a drive (perhaps if they were on sale). Also a few hours isnt two minutes I just assumed I said something noobish and no one was interested in responding (I think I checked it the last time around 4:50 or so).
Note: It sounds dickish but it is understandable. Also the reason I didnt change it is if someone told me to not get the g.skill or that one was on sale somewhere I would return the one I bought and get that one instead because I can always send it back.

[quote name='UnicornBang']I picked up a Kingston hyperx 120 gig ssd. Works amazing. 111 gig out of the box. Very fast. Love it for gaming. I also have sata 2 ports on my mobo and still have insane speeds. Highly recommend this drive. Just check Amazon, it's 139, I was lucky enough to pick it up for 89.99 a month ago.[/QUOTE]
The reason I went with the g.skill was it was cheaper. I probably would have got the hyperx IF it was the same price.

[quote name='LlamaNinja']The reason I went with the g.skill was it was cheaper. I probably would have got the hyperx IF it was the same price.[/QUOTE]

g.skill seems like a decent brand but please don't base your purchases of storage devices simply on price

bread's done
Back