So, I want a Wii but do not want a workout

rightwingjedi

CAGiversary!
I want to get a Wii for my family but my kids want to sit in a chair and use a regular controller with Mario, Mickey, etc. Can a regular controller be used on the Wii rather than standing and getting a workout?

The only games on the Wii that give you a workout are the exercise games.

Whether a regular controller can be used or not will be depicted on the back of the box. For most Mario games, the answer is no. However, if there's no real implementation of motion control, the odds are greater.

There's a list on Wikipedia for pretty much anything. I know they have a list of what Wii games can use the Classic Controller, the GameCube controller, etc.

[quote name='rightwingjedi']I want to get a Wii for my family but my kids want to sit in a chair and use a regular controller with Mario, Mickey, etc. Can a regular controller be used on the Wii rather than standing and getting a workout?[/QUOTE]

Why do you stand when using a Wii controller? I just lounge back....

A lot of games have support for classic controllers/gamecube controllers as long as the motion controls aren't integral to the gameplay. But you're not gonna be getting up a lot with the Wii as long as you're playing games that aren't exercise-oriented.

Hmm...

Boom Blox
Dance Dance Revolution
Rayman Raving Rabbids
(edit) Shaun White Snowboarding - not required to stand, but playing with the Balance Board is more fun
Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Virtua Tennis
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Fit
Wii Sports

I've got about 80 games, and those are the ones that I would feel obligated to stand up for. Everything else is a sitting affair - although quite a few games either require you to point at the TV (similar to using a remote control) or occasionally shake the controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some games like Mario Galaxy you can't use a "regular" controller like the Classic Controller, but that doesn't mean you have to be jumping all over the place.

You just hold the wiimote in one hand and the 'chuck in the other and sit back. I find it more comfortable than a "regular" controller actually.

[quote name='tsmvengy']...
You just hold the wiimote in one hand and the 'chuck in the other and sit back. I find it more comfortable than a "regular" controller actually.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Having full freedom of movement for both arms is great, and lets you change positions as desired or just chill out on the couch. I never understand why people "get tired" holding the Wii controller - apparently they are doing it differently?

The only common things that require any sort of physical movement outside of button pressing are waggling the Wiimote or pointing it at the screen. That is not exercise.

Thx guys. I just found out our GC library of 80 games will work on the Wii so I am in for sure.

Also, besides the GC controller, what is the best aftermarket controller.

Just got back from Wally World. After getting a ticket to get my red Wii + a $75 gift card, they said I could shop and come back at 9 PM. Well, once I returned, I found they sold all red Wii's. The manager saw my frown and gave me a black bundle and threw in the Mario game for free + gave me the $75 gift card. I thought it was a great deal.

Thx again guys. I will fire it up in the morning.

bread's done
Back