So if I buy a elite am I guaranteed that I wont get the Red Ring?

Thunderscope

CAGiversary!
I sold my 360 before the new HDMI ones came out because I didn't feel like taking chances and I want to upscale. Now Im trying to decide between buying an elite to replace it or a PS3, now the ps3 is $50 more and has bluray but no games lol, so I guess my question is if I choose the elite 360 am I going to have to worry about the same crap, Im getting pretty sick of waiting for this red ring issue to go away.

Yeah just like Sony guarantees that you won't have any dead pixels on a PSP when you buy it. I'd imagine your chances of it happening are less in the elite but there are no guarantees. Especially if the rumor in last month's EGM is true (all the best quality tested components were being used by M$ to build the Elite units).

360elitedead.jpg

http://www.thesportsfix.com/index.php?page=2&t=3398&phpbb_script=viewtopic

But this is an extreme example because it's in a plastic case left on all day.

Hell, I still have my ol' whitey from February and no real problems yet. I have gotten the RRoD, but that was immediately after transporting it and I think it's cause it thought there was a disk in it when there wasnt. Either way, it went away when i just popped the tray out and put it back in.

POINT IS the whitey can be reliable too, but nothing's gaurenteed either way.

The only way to guarantee you don't get the red ring is to keep your box unplugged and away from any accidental surges of electricity.

Nothing is guaranteed, EVER.

That said, I'm certain Elite's have better chances of not getting RRODed.

I'm still waiting until I first see a RROD. I know of at least 20 actual systems, no problems yet.

[quote name='DustHimself']Hell, I still have my ol' whitey from February and no real problems yet. I have gotten the RRoD, but that was immediately after transporting it and I think it's cause it thought there was a disk in it when there wasnt. Either way, it went away when i just popped the tray out and put it back in.

POINT IS the whitey can be reliable too, but nothing's gaurenteed either way.[/quote]

whitepower.

Anecdotal evidence aside... I think the Elites have been the initial beneficiary of the improved heatsink and other engineering fixes that are being performed on the returned RRoD consoles (as well as showing up on the HDMI Premiums, which apparently use the Elite Mobos, from what I've read)...

Having said that, I think with proper _good_ airflow, and the new heatsink, the Elites are less likely to have the RRoD issue crop up as the consoles without said heatsink. Nothing's impossible, and since the 360 is what it is, we might see the issue crop up from time to time, but for the most part, I think it should be passed... Microsoft wouldn't have spent 1.5 billion bucks giving everyone the free RRoD fix (for an affected console) if they didn't have something that would keep them from coming back time after time (pure speculation on my part...)

With Microsoft's silence (preventing an inevitable recall), we'll never know for sure... but since they're in this to beat Sony and Nintendo, I think they're not going to take future RRoD design flaws lightly...

For every person who's had 3 console repair cycles (or more) there is another who chimes in that their launch system works great, and they've been playing next to Grandma's blast furnace since day one... Take everyone's anecdotal evidence as a snippet of the bigger picture... and I think that if you do, whatever your decision... it will be correct for you. (Unless you decide to buy an Edsel....) :)

Microsoft stress tests 360 components, and the ones that test the best go into the elites, while the lesser components are used to manufacture regular 360's. So your chances of getting a rrod are much less with an elite, but there are no guarantees in life, so caveat emptor.

[quote name='Puffa469']Microsoft stress tests 360 components, and the ones that test the best go into the elites, while the lesser components are used to manufacture regular 360's. So your chances of getting a rrod are much less with an elite, but there are no guarantees in life, so caveat emptor.[/QUOTE]

WTF? This sounds insane. Please cite sources for this.

[quote name='AshesofWake']so what if it gets RROD, you have a 3 year warranty on it. just do it..[/quote]

Didn't know Robert Bach / any higher ups at MS who work on the 360 post here.

[quote name='Puffa469']Microsoft stress tests 360 components, and the ones that test the best go into the elites, while the lesser components are used to manufacture regular 360's. So your chances of getting a rrod are much less with an elite, but there are no guarantees in life, so caveat emptor.[/quote]

This is complete bullshit. Name a single source here. You are stupid to think a company is going to do this (and subsequently tell people they do this).

bread's done
Back