So I'm gearing up to buy a DS... what to play on it?

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Looks like I'll be picking up a DS in the form of the Mario Kart bundle after Thanksgiving. In the interim, I'm starting to scope out potential DS purchases, either so I don't miss deals before I buy it, or just to get a nice wishlist together. Here's my current list, basically just browsed through EB, picked out titles that either interest me, or that I've heard good things about. Any feedback positive or negative, and additions to the list, would be awesome:

Children of Mana (DS): It's Mana. Nuff said.
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS): Heard good things, enjoy Battalion Wars (even though I understand that it is fairly different from BW)
Bomberman (DS): Anything like the old-school Bomberman, and not the current gen crap?
Dig Dug Digging Strike (DS): Dig Dug!
Lunar Dragon Song (DS): Though an RPG would be nice, but I've seen horrible reviews, so reconsidering...
Mario & Luigi (DS): Mario. Or more importantly, Luigi.
Meteos (DS): Heard good things
Metroid Prime Hunters (DS): Not coming out for a bit, so no real hurry on feedback here.
Metroid Pinball (DS): Sounds good to me.
Nintendogs (DS): For the woman. And probably me too.
Polarium (DS): On the cheap at EB if it can be found, I'll be all over it.
Super Mario 64 (DS): Mario. Brother of Luigi
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS): Kinda amuses me, but looking into it.
Whack-A-Mole (DS): Umm... it's Whack-a-Mole.

Thanks guys!

[quote name='botticus']Children of Mana (DS): It's Mana. Nuff said.
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS): Heard good things, enjoy Battalion Wars (even though I understand that it is fairly different from BW)
Bomberman (DS): Anything like the old-school Bomberman, and not the current gen crap?
Dig Dug Digging Strike (DS): Dig Dug!
Lunar Dragon Song (DS): Though an RPG would be nice, but I've seen horrible reviews, so reconsidering...
Mario & Luigi (DS): Mario. Or more importantly, Luigi.
Meteos (DS): Heard good things
Metroid Prime Hunters (DS): Not coming out for a bit, so no real hurry on feedback here.
Metroid Pinball (DS): Sounds good to me.
Nintendogs (DS): For the woman. And probably me too.
Super Mario 64 (DS): Mario. Brother of Luigi
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS): Kinda amuses me, but looking into it.
Whack-A-Mole (DS): Umm... it's Whack-a-Mole.

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Dig-Dug -- Give it a rent first
Meteos -- A MUST OWN DS title
Metroid Pinball -- A GREAT pinball game. Perhaps a bit pricey. Watch for it to go on sale while you're waiting.
Nintendogs -- Fun to come back to every once in a while
Polarium -- Not stunning, but for $10 new, go for it.
Mario 64 -- Very nice, I personally didn't dig the control but that's just me. I prefer to play it on my 64.
Phoenix Wright -- Funny, and fun. A must-have for fans of graphical adventures

Adding:
Trauma Center -- Tough but very unique
Kirby -- Wonderful game, fun, and very unique to the DS. With Meteos is another MUST HAVE.

Children of Mana (DS): Never played
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS): same old same old
Bomberman (DS): boring
Dig Dug Digging Strike (DS): never played
Lunar Dragon Song (DS): Fun game
Mario & Luigi (DS): BUYING it come nov 29.
Meteos (DS): its okay
(.
Nintendogs (DS): 1 word BORING

Super Mario 64 (DS): boring
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS): never played

if i had to get 1 game out of them all LUNAR DRAGON SONG OR MARIO RPG DS

[quote name='jimbo12457']DONT GET NINTENDOGS!

I dont see why everyone likes this game..........sounds fucking boring[/QUOTE]
Its good to know that you like to play games before giving your judgement on them.

Another game you should get is WarioWare Touched. It puts the touch screen and microphone to good use. It has alot of replayability and is a great way to kill short amounts of time.

[quote name='stag8603']Castlevania: DOS....Get it.[/QUOTE]

Gosh, what am I, stupid? How could I have missed that? Thanks for the catch!

[quote name='daroga']Gosh, what am I, stupid? How could I have missed that? Thanks for the catch![/QUOTE]
Ha, I missed it too, don't worry. Then again, I was never big on Castlevania back in the day, but the screenies of this puppy look pretty decent.

Keep the comments coming, I am much appreciative!

If you can find it on the cheap: Zookeeper.
Along with Meteos, it's the best Dr. Mario / Tetris "pick up and play for ten minutes" kinda game out there.

here are the games I owned
Feel the Magic: Decent, worth pickup for $15 or less
Catlevania : must buy
Phoenix Wright: another must buy
Lunar: The review are not great, but it is still a fun RPG
Truma Center: very original, there is nothing else like it
Bomberman: not so great unles you got someone else to play with. The single player mode is average at best
zookeeper: great for under $10

[quote name='slidecage']Bomberman (DS): boring [/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you never played any multiplayer? Single-player I heard is lame. The multiplayer is awesome though. I only played for probably a few hours with my friends (one of their copies) and a few bots and had a blast with it.
Definately pick it up if you have a few friends to play with, it will probably be cheaper by then too.

Castlevania, for action/rpg fix and a buttload of replay options (by far, is my favorite DS game so far; not saying much, I love a lot of the games).
Advance Wars: Dual Strike gets my thumbs up for fantastic tactical fun.
Kirby, an awesome experience with touch-screen controls.
Lost in Blue, for something different when it comes to survivial.
Lunar, if you can manage to get Honey *swears*.
Phoenix Wright, for hysterical courtroom antics.
Trace Memory, for point n' clickin', mystery solvin' fun.
Trauma Center, for more unique touch screen, body-disecting action. W00!

[quote name='rockhero']Stay away from Lunar DS. I'm a huge Lunar fan and this game is just painfull...[/QUOTE]

:cry: I don't like to hear that! (I am also getting a DS Mario Kart bundle...and Lunar will probably be my first game!)

I thought maybe the OP would need to know too, but what do you guys recommend in the way of screen protectors? What's the best one out there? And, is it going to be a red DS bundled with Mario Kart, or am I misinformed? Any pics? (Or, will you be able to get any color DS with Kart?)

Kirby Canvas Curse really is a must-have game. It's incredibly fun, actually decently challenging, and has plenty of replay value. I have yet to find a friend who doesn't like it upon trying it.

Here are the must haves in my opinion:

Mario 64 DS (if you enjoyed the N64 version, you'll like this as well)
Trauma Center (just an awesomely innovative game. Can be frustrating at times, but is extremely fun)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (if you like old school PC adventure games, this is a must have)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (It's 2-D Castlevania... what else do you need?)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (Takes the amazing gameplay of the GBA versions and takes it to the next level. Amazing game)

At your discretion:
Kirby's Cursed Canvas (I haven't personally played it yet but I've heard great things across the board)
Meteos (same deal as Kirby)
Nintendogs (Very unique, but just isn't for everyone. I really enjoy it)

If you have friends with DS's:
Bomberman
World Poker Tour (or whatever it's called, I have it and the multiplayer really makes it)

Budget Titles (enjoyable but far from perfect):
Tiger Woods (Has it's flaws but is still one of the best sports games on the DS, great swing mechanic)
Polarium (graphically craptastic, but addictively fun)
Sprung (if you like point and click/choose your own adventure games you could find worse ways to spend 12 bucks)

[quote name='Rig']:cry: I don't like to hear that! (I am also getting a DS Mario Kart bundle...and Lunar will probably be my first game!)

I thought maybe the OP would need to know too, but what do you guys recommend in the way of screen protectors? What's the best one out there? And, is it going to be a red DS bundled with Mario Kart, or am I misinformed? Any pics? (Or, will you be able to get any color DS with Kart?)[/QUOTE]

Lunar: Dragon Song has VERY little in common with the previous 3 Lunar's. It even pains me to say this. If you do decide on this, go into it expecting horror, and you may come out saying "it wasn't THAT bad". But those hoping for some semblence of the Lunar-verse, to you... I'm sorry.

I personally have the ScreenGuardz brand protectors, and they're quite nice. I recommend just about anything over Intec's though. I've heard the Hori protectors are fantastic, but I've never seen them.

[quote name='Amano']Lunar: Dragon Song has VERY little in common with the previous 3 Lunar's. It even pains me to say this. If you do decide on this, go into it expecting horror, and you may come out saying "it wasn't THAT bad". But those hoping for some semblence of the Lunar-verse, to you... I'm sorry.

I personally have the ScreenGuardz brand protectors, and they're quite nice. I recommend just about anything over Intec's though. I've heard the Hori protectors are fantastic, but I've never seen them.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry. I'm not expecting much out of Lunar. In fact, I've silently been cursing it since it was announced. I mean, I'm glad to see my favorite series come back, but I'd rather have a Lunar 3...and I was afraid Lunar DS wouldn't turn out well...sigh...maybe some things should just be left alone...Lunar 1 and 2 were bliss...

Don't ever get Whac-A-Mole. (Yes I have it) DON'T!!

Not that any self-respecting gamer would (;p) but just don't...

Damn me and my collecting all US DS games. =/ It's worse than Ping Pals. (I have that too)

If you are a sports fan, especially soccer, get Fifa 2006. It's a solid soccer game, but don't expect much of managerial duty cause you can't even transfer players. But other than that, the game play itself is very entertaining.

- Puyo Pop is a good pick up as well
- Polarium, yes buy this if it's only $10, it's fun, but doesn't worth more than $10, IMO
- Pac-Pix, mm... don't get this one, I have it and it's not as fun as Kirby.
- Castlevania DOS? Definitely pick it up

Advance Wars is great. Meteos just made me want to go play Lumines. The next game I'll be buying is Trauma Center.

The 2 best games on the DS to date: Feel the Magic, Phoenix Wright

Other great titles: Castlevania DS, Meteos

[quote name='Rig']I thought maybe the OP would need to know too, but what do you guys recommend in the way of screen protectors? What's the best one out there? And, is it going to be a red DS bundled with Mario Kart, or am I misinformed? Any pics? (Or, will you be able to get any color DS with Kart?)[/QUOTE]
http://ds.ign.com/articles/658/658077p1.html

There's the bundle. Red all the way.

[quote name='iheartmetal']another one of these?[/QUOTE]
I apologize for attempting to make informed purchases ;) For me, firsthand testimonials are always better than reviews.

Meteos is a great game. Perfect for when you want to sneak in a game.

If you like sports, FIFA 06 is pretty good. Much better than GBA 05. Adds a little depth and it has game saves.

Mario DS is loads of fun and uses the 2nd screen well.

RC

[quote name='asianxcore']Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Trauma Center
Meteos[/QUOTE]

Much like Smokey Robinson, I second that emotion! :applause:

Castlevania: best ds game I have played. Great action/adventure game with rpg elements
Trauma Center: Great challenging doctor game.

here's my list:

kirby and the canvas curse: can't draw rainbows so i suck at this but it's still lots o fun
nintendogs: chihuhua and friends: fun but major time suck so i don't play much anymore.
phoenix wright: surprisingly a lot of fun. i got it just cuz i tend to like quirky games but it's really good.
trauma center: awesome game but really short. still, close to my fave game for ds.
jump superstars (import): the BEST GAME ON DS. holy crap this is addicting. at first, following faqs was really annoying and i was getting bored but once i began unlockin lots o characters, it's gotten much better. it's the closest thing to smash bros. without being first party and if you like anime, all the better.

i also have Classic NES Zelda and Gunstar Super Heroes as GBA games.

Zelda's mad nostalgia and GSH is lots of fun - crazy short but definitely a quick gaming fix game.

I'm not sure why everyone is so up on Meteos. Everyone said it was the best thing since tetris. Now I loved me some tetris, so I bought Meteos. To put it simply, I put the game up for sale on Ebay the very next day. The game was a stylus masher, I did way better by randomly dragging my stylus from the top to the bottom all over the screen. I'm sure some people must find this fun, but I thought it was hugely disappointing.

[quote name='jdevlin7756']I'm not sure why everyone is so up on Meteos. Everyone said it was the best thing since tetris. Now I loved me some tetris, so I bought Meteos. To put it simply, I put the game up for sale on Ebay the very next day. The game was a stylus masher, I did way better by randomly dragging my stylus from the top to the bottom all over the screen. I'm sure some people must find this fun, but I thought it was hugely disappointing.[/QUOTE]

You didn't spend nearly enough time with it. The skill of linking up combos and clearing the whole screen at once is where the fun comes in. It took me a good week of playing a little every day to really get the hang on it. Anyone who says they can do better just draging the stylus around as opposed to actually playing is silly. :)

bread's done
Back