So Is Anything Going Right?

does "welfare programs" suit you better? I wasn't trying to be condescending.

I'm not talking about affirmative action. Welfare (not specific to blacks of course), jobs training, after school programs, etc...

"The urban poor need remedies that judges cannot order: public and private investment to create jobs that pay a living wage, training to help them learn new skills and understand the job market, and most of all a chance to move into racially and economically integrated neighborhoods where there are better opportunities and healthier cultural norms."

from: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/books/review/Ford-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

and there is the problem. Who wants to put up a hot dog stand in a neoghborhood that is more likely to get vandalized/robbed/ignored/staffed by people who don't care/etc...? I go to the "shittier parts" of Minneapolis (my hometown) more often than not. It's brutal. Everything is broken or really dirty at the very least. Garbage cans and street signs are covered in grafiti, windows are broken on homes and stores, beggars are really aggressive and the gang members are pretty obvious about being there. Then I go to the "normal" parts of town and things are clean, people are pleasant and talk to each other, businesses are running without fear that some random person is going to come in and go nuts and whatnot.

So you ask why don't I do anything? What the hell am I supposed to do? Go down there with a broom and clean broken glass off the sidewalk? Grab some paint and clean the grafiti? Randomly hand out cash? If I do this, how likely do you think it is that I'd get my ass kicked vs. a "hey man, thanks"?

[quote name='nasum']does "welfare programs" suit you better? I wasn't trying to be condescending.

I'm not talking about affirmative action. Welfare (not specific to blacks of course), jobs training, after school programs, etc...

"The urban poor need remedies that judges cannot order: public and private investment to create jobs that pay a living wage, training to help them learn new skills and understand the job market, and most of all a chance to move into racially and economically integrated neighborhoods where there are better opportunities and healthier cultural norms."

from: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/books/review/Ford-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

and there is the problem. Who wants to put up a hot dog stand in a neoghborhood that is more likely to get vandalized/robbed/ignored/staffed by people who don't care/etc...? I go to the "shittier parts" of Minneapolis (my hometown) more often than not. It's brutal. Everything is broken or really dirty at the very least. Garbage cans and street signs are covered in grafiti, windows are broken on homes and stores, beggars are really aggressive and the gang members are pretty obvious about being there. Then I go to the "normal" parts of town and things are clean, people are pleasant and talk to each other, businesses are running without fear that some random person is going to come in and go nuts and whatnot.[/quote]
The neighborhoods weren't always in that state. The question you should be asking is if the neighborhoods were always like that and if they weren't, what happened. What happened to the wealth. Then you can also ask why the "normal" neighborhoods are the way they are. Were they always "normal"(not economically depressed is a better way to describe it), and how and when did they become that way. FYI, hardwork isn't the answer.

So you ask why don't I do anything? What the hell am I supposed to do? Go down there with a broom and clean broken glass off the sidewalk? Grab some paint and clean the grafiti? Randomly hand out cash? If I do this, how likely do you think it is that I'd get my ass kicked vs. a "hey man, thanks"?
Or you could tutor struggling kids with school work, tutor ESL students, tutor prisoners, tutor citizenship classes, basically share knowledge(not ideology) with those that don't have as much. And yes, I have done those things.

[quote name='nasum']Am I happy with everything? Not really, well aside from not having to barter livestock at the peel joint... On the other hand, I think anyone here in the US has it better than just about anywhere else on the planet. On average at least.[/QUOTE]

"America might be the greatest country in the world but that's like being the prettiest Denny's waitress. Just because you are the best doesn't necessarily make you good." - Doug Stanhope

Why did the neighborhood go down hill?
Well that's an interesting question. My assumption would be based on rising crime rates and fear in the community of reprisal if they organize to push the crime out. People see crime rates as they're shopping for a house and decide that they don't want to move in to that area because they don't want their shit messed with. Ergo, property value goes down, the area generates less income for the city/county whatever, schools receive less funding, business starts to leave, even less income for the local govt and then there's nothing left.
I don't see white oppression in that.

I have tutored and when I'm more caught up with my own situation I really want to get back to it. On the other hand I've recently moved to a new city (within the same county) so I also have to figure out if these people need any accreditation beyond a reference from my last place.

I read some of your guy there. It's the same story, I see a lot of finger pointing and blame, but little to nothing by way of solutions, let alone ideas on a starting point...

bread's done
Back