So Is Growlanser: Generations worth the cash ?

dutch72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
I'm thinking about picking this up and I was wondering If those who already bought It was happy or If they wished they would've waited on a price drop ( I'm thinking on getting the deluxe with some credit I got ) any Input would be appreciated.

The games is GREAT but Working Design is CRAZ Y they use COMPACT DISC over DVD disc :(

I almost pickup yesterday after see it on COMPACT DISC . I may pickup later whenever the price go down :)

The Deluxe version is worth the $60 I paid.

Are they using the blue discs Masterkyo? I haven't opened mine yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they did but I didn't think anyone used those anymore.

i was going to pick it up, but my local eb only has the deluxe version left for $90, and that's just a little too much for me. :(

d'oh! i should've ordered it from mtv.com!

I don't have that much cash right now, so I'm debating between:
deluxe and regular at an etailer I have credit at, *if* they get it in stock'
regular at Amazon with a 50$ gift cert I have;
deluxe at Amazon with that gift cert and cash out of pocket.
I'm liking the deluxe, because I like deluxes and OST's, but it's 30-40 bucks more than the regular, and the cards, watch, ring, necklace, I don't have much need for, and the other deluxe WD I've got, Arc the Lad, is worth basically nothing, so it's not a great 'investment'.
But the game does sound intriguing, and the guide in Tips and Tricks whetted my appetite. Someone else described it as 'a cross between Grandia 2 and Shining Force' which would be awesome. I'm just hoping it's not more like Warcraft-level RTS, I don't like those at all.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']What wrong with CDs? The games themselves are only about 560 kbs or something like that.... no need for a dvd...[/quote]

Sure you don't mean mbs? games with a size of 560kbs are about like the type of regular nintendo games.

560kbs? thats more like an MP3 quality mesument than the size of a game.

Maybe you mean they arnt more than 560mb that would fit easily on a CD. DVD would just waste most of the space though it might load a little faster but that's only an issue of the game has problematic load times which I doubt it would since it has no FMV.

The extra space of DVDs allows them to organize the data more liberally and uniformly to reduce loading, maximize space usage, and reduce code errors and glitches.

And even with that, the majority of PS2 games are WAY more than 560 MB.

I played GL2 a little bit... it's pretty good so far... decent voice acting... I am still getting the hang of the battle system... It seems a cross between grandia and turn based strategy games

Does anyone know if Gamerush will have the deluxe pack, I'd like to use some credit there to pick it up.

My guess is they will not be getting it at Gamerush. The one I go to in Cleveland has the Deluxe version on reserve for me and I have not seen it yet. I don't want to cancel it because I used a get any game for 39.99 coupon and I only used $40 in credit to reserve it. I sure hope it comes, but even the employees have their doubts.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']They're cds, not dvds.... but still there is hardly any load times anyways... Plus it works on HD Loader :)[/quote]

you sure it works with the HDLOADER< because when I try to save it freezes my system, but when i use the cd to play, it plays like a charm

what mode are you using?

[quote name='xzafixz']Does anyone know if Gamerush will have the deluxe pack, I'd like to use some credit there to pick it up.[/quote]

I'm in the same situation, I'm waiting for an FYE or Coconuts to get it in by me since I still have a boat load of credit there thanks to their ridiculous trade in prices. :D

[quote name='ChrisXE'][quote name='DreamSymphony']They're cds, not dvds.... but still there is hardly any load times anyways... Plus it works on HD Loader :)[/quote]

you sure it works with the HDLOADER< because when I try to save it freezes my system, but when i use the cd to play, it plays like a charm

what mode are you using?[/quote]

Yeah, worked fine for me.... didn't use any modes... what version Ps2 do you have?

still aint working, tried it on 2 different PS2's, you sure it works?, ecause other folks are claiming that it dont work either, that it freezes when trying to save

The local EB gutted not one, not two, not three, but four copies of the Deluxe Edition for display. For shame... :evil:

[quote name='mgsvr']Hmmm....I found out that there are 2 version of the disc CD cover art. Anyone notice that/?[/quote]
Is there a page that has both versions on it? I'd like to see which I have... Then again, mine is still sealed.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']What wrong with CDs? The games themselves are only about 560 kbs or something like that.... no need for a dvd...[/quote]

Some people have problems with their PS2 playing CDs while DVDs work fine.

[quote name='Josef']The local EB gutted not one, not two, not three, but four copies of the Deluxe Edition for display. For shame... :evil:[/quote]

why the hell would they need to gut 4 copies?!?

[quote name='maxflight'][quote name='Josef']The local EB gutted not one, not two, not three, but four copies of the Deluxe Edition for display. For shame... :evil:[/quote]

why the hell would they need to gut 4 copies?!?[/quote]
They probably only have 4 copies.

[quote name='Masterkyo']The games is GREAT but Working Design is CRAZ Y they use COMPACT DISC over DVD disc :(

I almost pickup yesterday after see it on COMPACT DISC . I may pickup later whenever the price go down :)[/quote]

thats utterly moronic.
because of the media they used, you wont buy their product, when there is no diffrence between cds and dvds?

its not like they used 6 cds instead of 1 dvd (like pc games do)

I picked up GrowLanser recently because I had a $25 gift card at BB burning a hole in my pocket. Plus, the combat system looks interesting. I can't wait to play it but I have too many games at the moment.

Before I post my impression of the game I wil tell you that I think I might be an extreme WD fanboy as I have disliked very few of the games they have brought over....then again I haven't bought them all either. Maybe I'm not so fanboyish. ;)

Anyways, I got the deluxe pack and I think it's worth it, but I've always been a pack rat for video game extras. I also almost never take anything besides the soundtrack from the extras since I like to keep them in such mint condition. For anyone else considering the Deluxe pack, you might want to think about how much use you might get out of all the extras if you were to get it. Some consider the deluxe pack worth it for the soundtrack alone as well.

I have only played GL 2 thus far, and I really enjoy it. The voice acting sounds strange at first, but I got used to it and it almost feels as if they were trying to capture a certain type of feel of how people in a medival world would speak to one another. The battle system is something else. I really like it. It's a good mix of strategy and action. Many non random battles have their objectives change midway through the battle. It's really interesting because it draws me into the game even more due to how you can constatnly change the commands you've given to your party. T

he story for GL2 is a milatary, political based one of betrayl, strife, and war. To me, it does fine in keeping the player interested in continuing to play the game. It may be a little predictable to some, and even I have had "duh" moments where the characters just realized something I caught onto awhile ago. But overall I still like it. I hear the story for GL3 is more along the lines of the save the world from a huge evil type of thing. Not sure if I'll like that or not.

I have read that the gameplay time for GL2 is around 20 hours. That isn't bad considering the game has multiple endings. Also I have read a way to transfer characters that you pickup in GL2 into GL3 as playable characters so it may be worth it to play the game more than once for that reason alone.

One thing that really makes me like this game is the style of the graphics. The artwork of the characters reminds me of the Sega Saturn game, Dragon Force for some reason. I haven't checked yet to see if it's the same artist though.

In regards to the cd art, yes there are at least two different versions of it. Because I'm so talented at wrecking my GL2 disc without realizing how, I went and got another copy of the game. Both of the discs in my second copy have different CD art. I'm at work right now so I can't remember offhand what art was with what set, but if anyone wants I can post descriptions and possibly pictures later on.

Overall I'm very glad WD brought this game out, and I'm also relieved I haven't had any major issues getting the game to play on my PS 2 *knocks on wood*

bread's done
Back