So... is my TV messed up or what?

dg7md

CAGiversary!
It's come to my attention that as of late, my TV has been having some "issues" that are pretty irritating, and confusingly enough, I can't really figure out what is making it to these problems.

I took a few example pics to the best I can, it doesn't follow show the damaging as messed up as it looks in person though. These are from two separate days.

Pic 1 here

Pic 2 here

It's a Samsung LCD and barely 2 years old (if that), I forgot the model specifics, but I already called upon the Fry's warranty that I got for reasons like this, I'm just wondering if anybody has encountered similar problems with their TVs or that this is truly a hardware/manufacturing problem because it came out of nowhere, I have yet to have any TV to do this before, and it is pretty strange.

Any hardware CAGers around that might shed some light? Sometimes it'll do it, sometimes it won't. It appears to only happen after it's been shut off for a while, but I've also encountered it randomly doing it every now and again, it all goes away after about 15 minutes.

I definitely think something is wrong, it just started doing this a week or two ago and I take good care of the unit and only turn it on when I'm watching it. But we all know how it goes, we call up a warranty, they come out, and of course the TV won't do anything wrong at all, until after they think you're crazy, afterall.

Thanks for the view, again I guess despite anything I'll be getting a free TV fix through the warranty, but I am trying to find out through higher intelligence on the subject of what the problem is, scanlines? Ghosting? Retention? Shadowing? What would you call this? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
LCDs can be a risky purchase. So many ways they can turn to shit on you. That's not ghosting or anything like that. It looks like you are having a legit malfunction and not something a TV maker can blow smoke up your ass by saying it's a normally accepted visual anomaly (like ghosting, clouding, etc.). It wouldn't be scanlines, because that's a progressive LCD display.

Just go through the motions and get it fixed. If there's ANY strange problem, get it fixed. If you paid for an extended warranty there is no reason you should live with it or hope it goes away.

Yes, get it fixed. It's signs that the panel or the processing board is the cause, especially if it's happening on multiple sources.

If it's either one, Frys may just junk it out and give you best value towards a new purchase. I'd check the terms of the warranty, since I remember reading somewhere about a problem with Frys not giving full purchase price + tax towards a replacement unit, but "best value" for a comparable unit.

Either way, you need to call them and get them to come out ASAP before it completely shits the bed and dies. Could be a day, could be a month.

Keep the pics handy, in case it doesn't do it for the tech, and snapping video of the TV having the issue and "fixing itself" is very helpful.

bread's done
Back