So let me tell you how CRAPPY EBGames was on Black Friday...

mmn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
So I go to EB with some games to trade in, seeing they have the "Trade 5 get $50". I take 8 (yes, EIGHT) Xbox games, and make sure they're all "decent" games, no old sports titles (I had stuff like Metal Arms, Sims Bustin Out, Sphinx, etc). So I get there and the guy says only FOUR had qualified for the "Get $50 for 5" deal. Fine. I can deal with that, even though its very annoying that even THEY don't know what games qualify and what don't and have to sit there and scan all the games.

Anyhow, I tell the guy I don't want to trade them in then, and to give me a copy of Riddick since it was on sale new for $10. He goes to the back, gets me a copy, and tells the other guy working "hey, that's the last Riddick". The guy goes "oh well". It rings up $29.99 when it should be $9.99. I go "uhm, that's on sale for $9.99". He goes "it is?". I proceed to show him the Black Friday ad THAT IS ON A RACK RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM where it says $10. So he has to manually adjust the price to $9.99.

I think it stinks that nobody else is going to get a copy of Riddick now because they had no stock left. And you'd think with as big of a sale as Black Friday is, the employees would KNOW how much the stuff is.

I seriously wonder how EB stays in business being as retarded as they are. And its a shame their B&M stores are so worthless - their online site is terrific and I've never had a problem with it.

[quote name='mmn']So I go to EB with some games to trade in, seeing they have the "Trade 5 get $50". I take 8 (yes, EIGHT) Xbox games, and make sure they're all "decent" games, no old sports titles (I had stuff like Metal Arms, Sims Bustin Out, Sphinx, etc). So I get there and the guy says only FOUR had qualified for the "Get $50 for 5" deal. Fine. I can deal with that, even though its very annoying that even THEY don't know what games qualify and what don't and have to sit there and scan all the games.

Anyhow, I tell the guy I don't want to trade them in then, and to give me a copy of Riddick since it was on sale new for $10. He goes to the back, gets me a copy, and tells the other guy working "hey, that's the last Riddick". The guy goes "oh well". It rings up $29.99 when it should be $9.99. I go "uhm, that's on sale for $9.99". He goes "it is?". I proceed to show him the Black Friday ad THAT IS ON A RACK RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM where it says $10. So he has to manually adjust the price to $9.99.

I think it stinks that nobody else is going to get a copy of Riddick now because they had no stock left. And you'd think with as big of a sale as Black Friday is, the employees would KNOW how much the stuff is.

I seriously wonder how EB stays in business being as retarded as they are. And its a shame their B&M stores are so worthless - their online site is terrific and I've never had a problem with it.[/quote]
Did you check your 8 games against the exclusion list at ebgames.com?

Its not the register jockey's fault that they didn't get any stock, and it didn't scan properly. For minimum wage, you're not expected to know much more than the alphabet. They do need to better organize themselves up the chain though, and integrate more closely with their website, but they beat Gamestop handily on both of these fronts.

So I go to EB with some games to trade in, seeing they have the "Trade 5 get $50". I take 8 (yes, EIGHT) Xbox games, and make sure they're all "decent" games, no old sports titles (I had stuff like Metal Arms, Sims Bustin Out, Sphinx, etc). So I get there and the guy says only FOUR had qualified for the "Get $50 for 5" deal. Fine. I can deal with that, even though its very annoying that even THEY don't know what games qualify and what don't and have to sit there and scan all the games

i think they have to scan them all because each store has its own list??
I say this cause i took games to one store and they wouldnt take 2 of them, took them to another store and they took them

[quote name='mmn']So I go to EB with some games to trade in, seeing they have the "Trade 5 get $50". I take 8 (yes, EIGHT) Xbox games, and make sure they're all "decent" games, no old sports titles (I had stuff like Metal Arms, Sims Bustin Out, Sphinx, etc). So I get there and the guy says only FOUR had qualified for the "Get $50 for 5" deal. Fine. I can deal with that, even though its very annoying that even THEY don't know what games qualify and what don't and have to sit there and scan all the games. [/quote]

Excuse me? You expect an employee to memorize a list with over 300 games? You're crazy/

Anyhow, I tell the guy I don't want to trade them in then, and to give me a copy of Riddick since it was on sale new for $10. He goes to the back, gets me a copy, and tells the other guy working "hey, that's the last Riddick". The guy goes "oh well". It rings up $29.99 when it should be $9.99. I go "uhm, that's on sale for $9.99". He goes "it is?". I proceed to show him the Black Friday ad THAT IS ON A RACK RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM where it says $10. So he has to manually adjust the price to $9.99.[/quote]

Yeah, that's how it's done.. You think EB would adjust the whole system for a two or three day sale? Or was this part of the three hour sale?

You'd think..

I seriously wonder how EB stays in business being as retarded as they are. And its a shame their B&M stores are so worthless - their online site is terrific and I've never had a problem with it.

..hmm.. you deal with a christmas employee who doesn't know the ropes, you expect him to memorize a list of 300 games, and then you expect magical computers that automatically discount sale prices.. and then you praise the site, which is automated?

You should've got Riddick for $9.99 off the site, then. Quit whining. Not every EB store is whatever magical happy land idea that you have in your head.

Did you check your 8 games against the exclusion list at ebgames.com?

I don't know how many mother fucking times I have to say this.. THERE. IS. NO. UNIVERSAL. EXCLUSION. LIST. The list changes, as slidecage said (whoa), from store to store and deal to deal.

I don't know how many mother shaq-fuing times I have to say this.. THERE. IS. NO. UNIVERSAL. EXCLUSION. LIST. The list changes, as slidecage said (whoa), from store to store and deal to deal.
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/shops/instoretradein/exclusions.asp

This is pretty close to it, though each store will (should) exclude games that they have a ton of stock of, like FYE does. Some stores won't exclude anything for some deals, either intentionally or by ignorance. But that list is pretty much it. If anything, its supposed to be that list + the local exclusions, if any.

I see Sphinx right on there for Xbox, so I'm guessing they didn't take that one.

Excuse me? You expect an employee to memorize a list with over 300 games? You're crazy

I don't expect them to memorize anything, but I do expect them to have a general idea of what is on sale. It's the BIGGEST SALE OF THE YEAR. Even if they don't have it memorized they should have a copy of the Black Friday ads on hand to look at them. The guy at the register didn't even know where the ads were - they were right in front of him on a rack. That's just completely idiotic.

Yeah, that's how it's done.. You think EB would adjust the whole system for a two or three day sale? Or was this part of the three hour sale?

Still showing on the website as part of the three day sale. And yes, I think they can adjust their registers for that. It takes minutes through corporate. Well, at least, at most stores it does. That's not the employees fault, that's just EB being stupid as a company.

..hmm.. you deal with a christmas employee who doesn't know the ropes, you expect him to memorize a list of 300 games, and then you expect magical computers that automatically discount sale prices.. and then you praise the site, which is automated?

He wasn't an Xmas employee. I've seen him at the store before. I remember stopping in there for ESPN 2k5 when it was released and talking to the guy about it.

Yeah I praise the site, because I've only ever had issues with their B&M stores, never with the site. I order, it ships, I get it, I'm happy. No hassles.

You should've got Riddick for $9.99 off the site, then. Quit whining. Not every EB store is whatever magical happy land idea that you have in your head.

I didn't get it off the site because I was out at other stores. By time I'd gotten home it would've been long sold out.

Walmart, Circuit City, Best Buy, Kohls, and Old Navy stores ALL had the sales prices IN THEIR REGISTERS. Nobody needed to manually override jack shit. EB isn't exactly a mom and pop store, they should have had their shit ready to go. It's not like Black Friday SNUCK UP on them, they knew it was coming and had the ad out for well over a week.

And I'm not whining, I think the store sucks and am expressing my opinions why. An EB employee must've saved your life for you to be defending them this heavily.

"and then you expect magical computers that automatically discount sale prices.. "

That is the worst arguement I have ever heard. Stores change prices in their systems constantly for sales, there is nothing magical about it. Hahahahahahahaha

You want to talk about someone being oblivious to a sale? Try an EB here in GA... now mind you, I left 2 EB's already and both were open at 7am.. the one I called says they don't open until 10... what?! Apparently, he was not aware of any early opening... and he had no idea what Black Friday was...
:?

My EB quest was fairly satisfactory. I went this morning to get two games for my little bro for Christmas (I was going to the Circuit City in the mall anyway, so I figured I'd just buy the games in B&M instead of online). I got Super Monkey Ball 2 and the Sonic Mega Collection, both for Gamecube, for $25 no problem, but the Super Monkey Ball 2 wasn't a sealed copy. ](*,)

I suppose it's no big deal though as long as it was just a display and wasn't player/preowned. But still, that's one of the problems I have with EB.

[quote name='mmn']
Excuse me? You expect an employee to memorize a list with over 300 games? You're crazy

I don't expect them to memorize anything, but I do expect them to have a general idea of what is on sale. It's the BIGGEST SALE OF THE YEAR. Even if they don't have it memorized they should have a copy of the Black Friday ads on hand to look at them. The guy at the register didn't even know where the ads were - they were right in front of him on a rack. That's just completely idiotic.[/quote]

Uhh.. you're not even talking about the same thing. The memorize 300 games was for the exclusion list, which you were bitching about.

And I'm not whining, I think the store sucks and am expressing my opinions why. An EB employee must've saved your life for you to be defending them this heavily.

No, I've worked there, my brother manages one, and we've both had to deal with assholes like you coming in. You know, the type that are all like *sigh* and tap their foot and check their watch.. OMG WTF DO U MEAN ITS 29.99 LIEK IT SAYS RIGHT EHRE 9.99!!1!1.. I mean, seriously, you told him of the price, he corrected it, WHERE is the situation? You ARE whining.

That is the worst arguement I have ever heard. Stores change prices in their systems constantly for sales, there is nothing magical about it. Hahahahahahahaha

Even so, he probably didn't know what he was doing. I thought Riddick was part of the three hour sale. My EB didn't automatically discount those PO PC games that were 14.99 and under to 75% off, they had to do it manually. The system at EB sucks.

You want to talk about someone being oblivious to a sale? Try an EB here in GA... now mind you, I left 2 EB's already and both were open at 7am.. the one I called says they don't open until 10... what?! Apparently, he was not aware of any early opening... and he had no idea what Black Friday was...

That's just sad. Hah, I bet he racked his brain all morning trying to figure out why he was scheduled at 7am.

My EB quest was fairly satisfactory. I went this morning to get two games for my little bro for Christmas (I was going to the Circuit City in the mall anyway, so I figured I'd just buy the games in B&M instead of online). I got Super Monkey Ball 2 and the Sonic Mega Collection, both for Gamecube, for $25 no problem, but the Super Monkey Ball 2 wasn't a sealed copy. Brick wall

I suppose it's no big deal though as long as it was just a display and wasn't player/preowned. But still, that's one of the problems I have with EB.

Take it back and tell them you want a sealed copy. They'll special order one for you. That's what mine did when I bought a display copy of Devil May Cry 2.. the discs were smudged and everything.. I took it back, said that I didn't pay for smudged discs, there was no problem at all, he placed one on order and a day or two later, I had a sealed one in my hands.

Then again, maybe there's a reason my EB is #1 in the district.

[quote name='Fatesealer']You want to talk about someone being oblivious to a sale? Try an EB here in GA... now mind you, I left 2 EB's already and both were open at 7am.. the one I called says they don't open until 10... what?! Apparently, he was not aware of any early opening... and he had no idea what Black Friday was...
:?[/quote]

Haha, that's sad. I'm surprised the one over here in AL was that competent. The one here opened at 5, which saved me from waiting in a line I suppose, because I got there at 6:30 thinking that they opened at 7.

1. You brought in excluded games because you forgot to check the exclusions list on the website.
2. The employee corrected the price for you.
3. You got the copy of the game you wanted.

What exactly is your problem with the employee?

For a store that specializes in one thing, videogames, it is not too much to expect them to know the current deals.

My EB is pretty damn good though, tons better than my local Gamestops. EB blows them away with a better store layout, better employees and better deals. The only thing that sucks is that the EB is a good 20-25 minute drive away while I have 4 Gamestops in a 10 minute radius. :(

Yeah I go to to 2 EB Games early in the morning and ask for Riddick game and 1st store says we just sold the last copy 2 minutes ago. 2nd store says we just sold last copy to this lady in line. Lady ask is it Brand New? Man says yeah it's open but Brand New it is our floor display. Come on I go to the 1st EB store less than 5 mins upon opening and already all sold out. Probably had 1 or 2 copies.

It's sad that we all jump on each other for different opinions. The OP was just trying to vent his frustrations, he wasn't directing it at the people that jumped on him. EB is a place of business and it's employees should have some idea of what's going on. They hire to many clueless and immature teenagers to run the place and as such the quality of service is terrible.

[quote name='blackchubby']Yeah I go to to 2 EB Games early in the morning and ask for Riddick game and 1st store says we just sold the last copy 2 minutes ago. 2nd store says we just sold last copy to this lady in line. Lady ask is it Brand New? Man says yeah it's open but Brand New it is our floor display. Come on I go to the 1st EB store less than 5 mins upon opening and already all sold out. Probably had 1 or 2 copies.[/quote]

YMMV. Suprisingly enough, there were NO extra copies of Riddick shipped, this sale was a way of cleaning out everyone's supply of Riddick. Your "only had 1 or 2 copies" theory is probably correct.

So you got your game for 9.99, your games didn't all qualify, and somehow the store is "retarded". 2 out of the 3 games you mentioned have been HEAVILY clearanced at most stores, and you expect then to be accepted in this deal? I guess "dumbasses" do tend to shop in the "retarded" stores, OP

Next time you go back, can you pick me up that copy of :roll: that I've been wanting?

[quote name='blackchubby']Yeah I go to to 2 EB Games early in the morning and ask for Riddick game and 1st store says we just sold the last copy 2 minutes ago. 2nd store says we just sold last copy to this lady in line. Lady ask is it Brand New? Man says yeah it's open but Brand New it is our floor display. Come on I go to the 1st EB store less than 5 mins upon opening and already all sold out. Probably had 1 or 2 copies.[/quote]

I totally forgot about Riddick, but no worries... its day will come around again... and I'm used to EB 'not being stocked' for a BF sale. For the select titles like Riddick or Spiderman 2, they might have some left from their original shipment or gotten some in for this sale... the GH, PH, and PC games were pretty much WYSIWYG, due to the sheer numbers of different titles. Still mad that they had NO copies of Xenosaga or Aminal Crossing, but another store, another day, another deal...

Went to EB Games, bought Metroid Prime, KOTOR, and WarioWare Inc something (for GC) for the buy 2 get one free deal. Thought the cd's were inside so I went outside and waited for my friends, got bored and opened the boxes. THERE WERE NO CD's. Went back, guy put them in for me. Got curious again, noticed the guy gave me Wario World instead of WarioWare Inc. Got pissed, he's excuse was that they were busy. (Went inside there 3 times, was only a line once because some kid brought his whole family.) Gar...

My mom went there today, the employee was a jag to her.

She grabbed a copy of madden 05 off the counter and then the employee said it was his.

Jag....put it in the back

I got to my EB at 6:20 and noone was there, i saw one of the employes going in to open up, so i went to Starbucks. Then this one dude who was there for riddick like me and 2 soccer moms, i got Four Swords, Riddick, RS3, and Doom 3. Then i got Tales of Symphonia at Target afterwards no problem. Great day for me.

Uhh.. you're not even talking about the same thing. The memorize 300 games was for the exclusion list, which you were bitching about.

That was miscommunication then. I think they should at least have a general idea of what is on sale on the biggest sale day of the year. I don't expect them to memorize the exclusion list, but I think its a bad policy to not allow them to tell what is and isn't excluded over the phone. It just wastes everyone's time for them to scan a game and go "no, its only worth 50 cents" and have to give it back to you. It's just corporate EB having bad policies, not the employee's fault. Like I said, no big deal I didn't get to turn my games in, the big deal is the whole way they do their trade ins there.

No, I've worked there, my brother manages one, and we've both had to deal with assholes like you coming in. You know, the type that are all like *sigh* and tap their foot and check their watch.. OMG WTF DO U MEAN ITS 29.99 LIEK IT SAYS RIGHT EHRE 9.99!!1!1.. I mean, seriously, you told him of the price, he corrected it, WHERE is the situation? You ARE whining.

I was polite to him, I never yelled, I was never impatient. I like how you automatically assume I was a jerk to him just because I had some complaints hours after I left the store.

I've worked retail, on Black Friday before no less - I know what its like. It doesn't make an excuse for the employee to be uneducated to his stores sales or policies. That's just laziness and I think you will agree with me on that.

Even so, he probably didn't know what he was doing. I thought Riddick was part of the three hour sale. My EB didn't automatically discount those PO PC games that were 14.99 and under to 75% off, they had to do it manually. The system at EB sucks.

Which was my point. The system/corporation/whatever controlls the placement of product and the price in the register at EB is awful. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Yup, sounds like EB to me.

1. You brought in excluded games because you forgot to check the exclusions list on the website.
2. The employee corrected the price for you.
3. You got the copy of the game you wanted.

What exactly is your problem with the employee?

The only problem I had with the employee was that he was uneducated about the biggest sale of the year. Don't know if that's his fault or his manager's fault for not educating him, but it's an employee issue. He should at LEAST have known where the BF ads were displayed in his own store, and he didn't.

For a store that specializes in one thing, videogames, it is not too much to expect them to know the current deals.

That's one of the main points I've been trying to make. Thanks.

It's sad that we all jump on each other for different opinions. The OP was just trying to vent his frustrations, he wasn't directing it at the people that jumped on him. EB is a place of business and it's employees should have some idea of what's going on. They hire to many clueless and immature teenagers to run the place and as such the quality of service is terrible.

Thank you, totally agree.

YMMV. Suprisingly enough, there were NO extra copies of Riddick shipped, this sale was a way of cleaning out everyone's supply of Riddick. Your "only had 1 or 2 copies" theory is probably correct.

So, again, that's bad form on EBs part. Why heavily advertise something you're only going to have "1 or 2 of" on the biggest shopping day of the year? Does that make ANY sense to you?

2 out of the 3 games you mentioned have been HEAVILY clearanced at most stores, and you expect then to be accepted in this deal?

No, and I don't care that they weren't, all I care about is wasting my time, the employee's time, and everyone in line's time. If they would simply TELL you what games were and weren't excluded over the phone it wouldn't be a problem.

They were out of riddick so i had gamestop(in the same mall) price match them, that simple. I did pick up LotR 3rd age, mario tennis and resident evil 2(cube) for 90 bucks. They had plenty of metroid prime 2 in but i think i wanted Resident Evil since its been a bitch to find

I went to EB, after I got everything else I wanted today. I got there at 6:45, second one in line. I go up to the register and ask if they have any of the MadCatz Lynx Wireless PS2 Controllers (for my brother for X-Mas), he looks in a big box behind the counter and in the back and comes back and tells me, "Oh, we don't have any." I said, "Well, how can you not have any?" He said, "I don't know, I guess we didn't get any." He couldn't even tell me when they would get any in. I hate EB so much.

Let me draft this notion:

A) The system will not calibrate itself for a 1-day sale
B) riddick was already auto-promo'd ( and he was a dink on that). These ring in full-price until they hit the 'total' key, at which point the discount applies itself- should the transaction provide valid grounds for said transaction.
c) One store's staff of, say 5, people to rougly 20,000 (inlcuding phone calls, walk-ins, and questions) - the one near hear claimed 33,000 in traffic yesterday, and they had five guys. The retail economy was only braced for a 4-8% increase in business over last year's BF. What they got is, so far, adding up to well over 25%. EB in this area is bouncing a 37% increase. Now, iif you have 5 guys for, let's say, a 10% increase, and you do 3.5 times more business, how much attention can those 5 guys provide to individual customers?
D) the deal says (...get 50$ in credit *when purchasing any of these games*..) and then has lots of pretty pictures. It also goes into excluded titles and the exclusion list- which is posted in about every game site and their own
e) and finally, the part where I join you- holiday help is never...the best. Chances are, most of those guys are getting their seasonal Cherry popped. Happened to all of us on that side of the counter at one point. That's why I always stress the importance of finding a familiar face in the store and just going right to them. They may be busy, but they've helped out before, and chances are they can again.
f) on a side note, a lot of stores, while having the 7am opening advertised, are bound to open as per their plaza/mall leasing information. Break that, and it's 5K$ in fines.

Yes, BF sucks for all involved. And then having to deal with this is no help. Personally, I would have laid into him a bit while I was there- hell, I had people do that to me yesterday when I was like, WTF? Well, the moral here is: I'm apologising for your experience at EB. Having work(ed) there, I do feel somewhat responsible. Corporate can suck, but, hopefully, having the apology of someone close enought o EB for it to matter will help. And so, to everyone who had a shaq-fuing time yesterday @ EB, my apologies.

And yes, I realize I've added nothing to this conversation. Except, that, I found out the Sears @ Coastland in Naples, FL was having the 50$ sale on Metroid bundle GC's. Bet your ass I grabbed one. You need to ask these people, though. The guy there had been so busy he totally missed the pink tags in prep for BF. So, I am assuming that just because they are unmarked, does not mean they are not on sale.

Trust
-The_K

man, I wish there were a rule against whining over a 'poor' shopping experience. Employees are people too...if you've never worked retail, you've got little right to complain.

Question: must the trade 5 for $50 credit go towards a pre-order? When I brought my games to the store the clerk talked with the manager and came back and told me that I had to use it to pre-order one of the games shown -MGS 3, Sim: Urbz, GTA:SA, Star Wars: sith, etc.

The ad doesn't say that the credit must go to a pre-order. What's the deal?

I did tell the guy I wanted to spend the credit at another EB store because I didn't like their selection of games. Did I offend him because I wasn't going to spend it at their store? Or am I reading the ad wrong?

Melbourne store - same thing - 7:25 am and I buy the -only- copy of Riddick in the store (and it's already been open).

But - this is the best part - my friend carries a DS and a game around with all of his other purchases for about 30 minutes... then the guy goes - o yeah, those are not in stock. !!!! 20 boxes on the wall and NONE IN STOCK!!!! Lame

[quote name='Death2Sanity']man, I wish there were a rule against whining over a 'poor' shopping experience. Employees are people too...if you've never worked retail, you've got little right to complain.[/quote]

Hear Hear!

----As far as the game trades go, imagine this. A friend offers to give you twenty dollars, but he wants the receipt. Then he says he wants the receipt for the twenty dollars that he's now going to pay someone else. It's kind of like that - they do the work in their store, so that you can spend the money in another. While all owned by the same company, their is an extreme degree of 'internal' competition. A trade's a trade in my opinion, and it was foolish of him not to at least process that there for you.

------ As for the DS's, yeah, that was rough. However, Nintendo has made no small venture to try and warn the populace of product shortages. The only way to acquire one definitely was by pre-order. I've been sending people Kay-B-Toys' way because they didn't have pre-order requirements, meaning a small but steady flow (about 6-12 units/week per store). 2 Million units made, and 35 Million preorders (these are worldwide figures). Freakin brilliant on their part. But, alas, that's nintendo. Remember the craze for GameCubes last year - and no one had any? They have a great way of extreme demand, and extremely low availability. Hell, you have a better chance of finding a (working) slim line PStwo. This is why Nintendo has helped Micro$oft in claiming the #1 system sales this fiscal quarter- meeting both demand and supply.

gamestop is owned by someone different than gamestop.com, so they have seperate deals. it also always depends on the store you go to on how employees are (this goes for all stores, not just gamestop). anyways, maybe eb sold out of riddick because of the price.

Why did EB blow their DS inventories on pre-orders? Why were these not drop shipped from EB? What purpose does a EB B&M have anymore? It's just a place to pre-order games/systems...

Anyways, EB did not have them - not since the launch! We go to Vero that afternoon - black friday afternoon here - and CCity has 6 on the shelf and FYE in the mall has 4 on the shelf.

[quote name='starboyk'][quote name='Death2Sanity']man, I wish there were a rule against whining over a 'poor' shopping experience. Employees are people too...if you've never worked retail, you've got little right to complain.[/quote]

Hear Hear!

----As far as the game trades go, imagine this. A friend offers to give you twenty dollars, but he wants the receipt. Then he says he wants the receipt for the twenty dollars that he's now going to pay someone else. It's kind of like that - they do the work in their store, so that you can spend the money in another. While all owned by the same company, their is an extreme degree of 'internal' competition. A trade's a trade in my opinion, and it was foolish of him not to at least process that there for you.

------ As for the DS's, yeah, that was rough. However, Nintendo has made no small venture to try and warn the populace of product shortages. The only way to acquire one definitely was by pre-order. I've been sending people Kay-B-Toys' way because they didn't have pre-order requirements, meaning a small but steady flow (about 6-12 units/week per store). 2 Million units made, and 35 Million preorders (these are worldwide figures). Freakin brilliant on their part. But, alas, that's nintendo. Remember the craze for GameCubes last year - and no one had any? They have a great way of extreme demand, and extremely low availability. Hell, you have a better chance of finding a (working) slim line PStwo. This is why Nintendo has helped Micro$oft in claiming the #1 system sales this fiscal quarter- meeting both demand and supply.[/quote]

I went to 2 EB's and found only 1 copy of Riddick between the two of them. Luckily I picked it up, though I won't get to play it till xmas (don't ask - to make a long story short, my grandparents are lazy, and i had to do a lot of their xmas shopping for me)

[quote name='soulwish2003']Why did EB blow their DS inventories on pre-orders? Why were these not drop shipped from EB? What purpose does a EB B&M have anymore? It's just a place to pre-order games/systems...

Anyways, EB did not have them - not since the launch! We go to Vero that afternoon - black friday afternoon here - and CCity has 6 on the shelf and FYE in the mall has 4 on the shelf.
[/quote]

The only way most of the larger coporations (at least, according to an investors meeting) to actually get an allocation of the product, was by pre-ordering. Normally, a company judeges how many items to release into the market based on pre-orders (it's usually a 3 items to 1 pre-order ratio). Problem is, Nintendo didn't let anyone know their was going to be a problem until two weeks before the system launch. At least Sony was upfront with the PS2 launch. They gave a head's-up six months in advance.

Moving past that, though, the reason a lot of other chains have them, is because the have more, shal I say, 'open' allocations - they haven't been spoken for/pre-ordered. When's the last time you walked into CC to pre-order the latest computer?? It is ridiculous. Essentially, EB, GS - anywhere that does pre-ordering- is used as a tool to gauge how available a product should be, and this time, Nintendo failed to deliver - horribly.

-The_K

My EB was pretty cool. I went in to get Riddick for 9.99, and ended up with the last copy.

Also, the owner noticed my Halo 2 cap I was wearing at the time and we chatted up about Xbox Live. My friend, myself and the manager exchanged gamertags so we could play sometime. Haven't done it quite yet because I'm not back with my ethernet connection at school yet. :) He also gave me a few bucks off on a Halo 2 shirt (something that wasn't on sale or anything) since I'd been pretty cool and talked with him for a while.

Overall, not much for buying on Black Friday, but I made a friend with a EB store owner. Maybe it'll come in handy sometime.

I agree with the other posters about the DS' launch.. I mean, you just HAD to reserve one to get one? I hated that. They (EB,GS) should just have treated it like they have with games. I for a fact have bought more release dates games that I did NOT reserve than I did that were preordered. Why? 9 times out of 10, you can't say ahead of time 'why yes, I'll be so getting that when it comes out.' The only real use or me to preorder is if I know for a fact that if I don't I'll be left out (DS), but when it came to the PSTwo, I was told SPECIFICALLY 'DUDE IF YOU DIDNT RESERVE YOU'LL GET YOUR PSTWO IN EARLY 2005.' Umm no... I went to GS and asked if they had any left and they said they did and no reserve was needed. I went and bought it and was told BY THE EMPLOYEE no less, that 'preorders guage how many that the store should have sent to them. 30 preorders make the first 30 pretty much spoken for, however we try to order a bit above that to factor in the walkins how didnt have a chance to preorder.' Let's face it, the preorders will sell for a demanded product, but you have to think about your casual shopper or one that has no ideas of the preorder process. We all were new shoppers to EB/GS at one time or another.

I think it all depends on your local Store. I have 3 EB Stores close to me. Two of them are excellent and one is a garbage dump. My favorite location is near my work. I'm a regular there and the stafff knows me and my tastes. If a new game comes out, or a good condition trade comes in, they hold them under the counter for me. As for the BF Sale. I had to work and they knew that, but they offered to hold anything I wanted from the sale. Unfortunately, there was nothing in the sale I wanted that I didn't already own. EB is my favorite place to purchase games by far. But again, it must all depend on the professionalism and courtesy of your local EB employees. I'm lucky on that respect. I suggest if you have a problem with your local EB as it seems you do, that you contact EB Corporate to hopefully get the matter resolved. Any business is only as good as the staff that works there.

From poster above:
"As for the BF Sale. I had to work and they knew that, but they offered to hold anything I wanted from the sale."

This is BS . . . the employees shouldn't be doing favors for people . . . they should sell straight up!

The people who are defending EB . . . ahhhh!!!! . . . forget it--its not worth the time or energy!

The employees should have some clue. The exclusion list is very deep now (too deep!) . . . they likely took in a lot of stuff for Halo 2 . . . plus they won't be able to turn stuff around quick enough for the holiday season.

The big thing is that they didn't insure any stock of Riddick. Yes, this was a clearance but if you are advertising a big deal you should have some minimal stock . . . not 1 or 2 per store.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']man, I wish there were a rule against whining over a 'poor' shopping experience. Employees are people too...if you've never worked retail, you've got little right to complain.[/quote]

These employees are being paid to provide a service, not just stand around like uneducated morons and treat potential customers like crap. No one is making these people work retail, there are thousands of crappy jobs out there to choose from. So accepting poor service just because they are human too does not make it acceptable.

I'm not necessarily just talking about this case, but just service in general.

I just kinda chuckle whenever I read these "EB Sucks!" posts. My EB is awesome, the employees there are all great. I dropped by Fri morning and grabbed Doom 3, a couple of the 75% PC games, and my CE WoW strategy guide they had been holding for me. I asked if I got the 20% off the guide for buying it with a game - manager said it had to be the same game, which I didn't know. No worries tho. A couple minutes later, manager leans over to the guy ringing me up and says "give him the 20% off, it's not like we won't get our money back from him." :)

They were out of Riddick, but I figured as others have said that they just didn't get any extra stock. Drove across town & decided to check another EB, got their last copy. It was opened, but I personally don't care as long as the disk is scratch-free - which it was. I even successfully stopped the guy from putting that stupid sticker on it. ;)

I'd MUCH rather shop at one of my local EB's than a local Gamestop.

Thanks for that exclusion list. I was going today with 6 games that I was hoping 5 would work for the deal. I read the list and noticed only 2 of the games I had selected were good. So I unwillingly picked out 3 more games that were not on the list. I might just trade in the games for credit anyway, I never play them anymore.

I just didn't like when an EB employee dissed my crappy games "oh they're all exlcuded, cuz they're all too old, and didn't sell well" no shit mofo, that's the reason I'm trying to get rid of em. I just didn't like that dicks tone of voice and I wouln't mind punching that fuck. oh well. still got some great deals at bestbuy.

Okay, one more time, in case that people missed it the first fifty thousand fucking times.

THE EXCLUSION LIST IS NOT VALID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE ONE ON THE WEBSITE IS NOT ACCURATE!!!!!!! IT CHANGES FOR EVERY DEAL!!!!!!

Hopefully many people read that this time.

[quote name='"Scorch"']Okay, one more time, in case that people missed it the first fifty thousand shaq-fuing times.

THE EXCLUSION LIST IS NOT VALID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE ONE ON THE WEBSITE IS NOT ACCURATE!!!!!!! IT CHANGES FOR EVERY DEAL!!!!!!

Hopefully many people read that this time.[/quote]

I don't get it. :wink:

bread's done
Back