So, my auction gets pulles off eBay for "Keyword Spamming"

ctice44

CAGiversary!
I'm pretty pissed!:bomb:

My Luminous Arc gets pulled off of eBay because of keyword spamming. They yanked it because my title read: "Luminous Arc DS Complete! Excellent Shape! Like New!"
The words "Like New" got it yanked....WTF? they have over 400 current & over 1000 completed game auctions with words "like new" in the title....and mine gets yanked?
I had never played the game (all I did was take the shrink wrap off). I also listed it under used games- as to not deceive anybody.
Has this happened to anyone else???!!!??

...wait...they think you're trying to get extra hits by adding the words "like new" in the title? seriously?

what's your recourse? can you just repost it? did they refund your listing fee? were there any bids on it?

...this is exactly why i started using half.com instead - everything is clear cut.

Honestly, I don't see the point of having both Excellent Shape and Like New in the auction title, though I also don't see why the auction would be taken down. I thought they encouraged you to use as many key phrases as possible?

eBay sucks now and it is about to get worse for sellers, go to amazon marketplace. I have 1000+ positive feedback on eBay and I have had it with them.

Tons of items daily get pulled because of "Like New" in the title.

Might I suggest this title: "Luminous Arc Nintendo DS Complete NDS Lite"

Generally buyers don't seem to care if you talk about condition in the title as they'll click and see that the game is in perfect shape with only the shrink wrap removed.

I put "excellent shape" & "like new" in the title to fill up space (I use whatever space they give me in the title) & give the bidder a little better idea what they were getting.
Also, it amazes me that Gamestop, EB Games, Game Crazy can "gut" games and sell them as Brand New and I list an auction as "like new" and I get pulled.

And thanks Scavenger4, I may use that title when I relist it.

[quote name='Scavenger4']Tons of items daily get pulled because of "Like New" in the title.

Generally buyers don't seem to care if you talk about condition in the title as they'll click and see that the game is in perfect shape with only the shrink wrap removed.[/QUOTE]
BINGO! I would of done the same. Maybe added the word "Game" if there was room"
[quote name='ctice44']I put "excellent shape" & "like new" in the title to fill up space (I use whatever space they give me in the title) & give the bidder a little better idea what they were getting.
Also, it amazes me that Gamestop, EB Games, Game Crazy can "gut" games and sell them as Brand New and I list an auction as "like new" and I get pulled.

And thanks Scavenger4, I may use that title when I relist it.[/QUOTE]
Honestly, no one cares if it says Excellent Shape or Like New. They can find this out by clicking on your auction link and reading it. You should use the title to your advantage and list any keywords that will help with the search.

The only time I put the condition in the title is when its NEW or SEALED. All other times, I try and get as much keywords I can fit into the title to maximize the search.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']infinate[/quote]

Pleasant. and it's "infinite" by the way.

OP -- likely what happened is a competing seller reported your auction for less competition.

You're not allowed to use "like new" in your title because when someone searches for something new, you're auction comes up.

For example, if some one wanted to search for a brand new Luminous Arc, they would search for "Luminous Arc new" or "new Luminous Arc". This would bring up your auction which has new in the title but it's not new.

It's been this way for a while I think and it's damn stupid but Ebay wants to protect it's idiot buyers of course.

I used ebay for the first time in about a month or so I've got so I don't much like it either. It gives you a warning if you put like new in the title before you list it. I always put mint instead.

[quote name='Vinny']You're not allowed to use "like new" in your title because when someone searches for something new, you're auction comes up. [/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Just consider it a lesson learned. Words like 'Excellent condition' or 'Mint' shouldn't get you into trouble with eBay (but they might cause headaches from a buyer with a differing opinion on what makes a game exc. cond.)

[quote name='Vinny']You're not allowed to use "like new" in your title because when someone searches for something new, you're auction comes up.

For example, if some one wanted to search for a brand new Luminous Arc, they would search for "Luminous Arc new" or "new Luminous Arc". This would bring up your auction which has new in the title but it's not new.

It's been this way for a while I think and it's damn stupid but Ebay wants to protect it's idiot buyers of course.[/quote]

Even though there is a search results filter to only view "NEW" items? That's pretty silly.

[quote name='Vinny']You're not allowed to use "like new" in your title because when someone searches for something new, you're auction comes up.

[/quote]

I guess I could've reported a bunch of people last night. I was looking up Call of Duty 3 for the 360. A lot of the hits came back with titles of "Xbox 360 Call of duty 3 not 2 or 4" or something to that effect. Which would also make them hit for searches for "call of duty 2" or "call of duty 4".

[quote name='daminion']Even though there is a search results filter to only view "NEW" items? That's pretty silly.[/QUOTE]

Well, not everybody uses the filter and not everybody marks their item as new in the product details. I agree it's stupid though.

[quote name='Lokki']I guess I could've reported a bunch of people last night. I was looking up Call of Duty 3 for the 360. A lot of the hits came back with titles of "Xbox 360 Call of duty 3 not 2 or 4" or something to that effect. Which would also make them hit for searches for "call of duty 2" or "call of duty 4".[/QUOTE]

It's pretty pointless... as far as I can tell, OP was unlucky. You can report a ton of auctions and they'll only look at a few of them. I love how they strictly enforce the rules which help them make more money (no Google Checkout, no excessive shipping) but are very passive about the other ones.:whistle2:?

It definitely tells you not to use "like new" in the title when you list something. You ignored the warning, and you got burned. Welcome to life.

[quote name='Lokki']I guess I could've reported a bunch of people last night. I was looking up Call of Duty 3 for the 360. A lot of the hits came back with titles of "Xbox 360 Call of duty 3 not 2 or 4" or something to that effect. Which would also make them hit for searches for "call of duty 2" or "call of duty 4".[/quote]

I suspect that Ebay is more concerned about buyers getting confused over condition descriptions than something more descriptive like your example....If folks are so stupid to mix up COD 3 for COD 4, there is really no hope for them...while the semantic gamesmanship that can be created by the seemingly variable definition of 'new' has probably proved problematic numerous times in relationship to a used item that they've decided to effectively ban the use of it with a used item..

[quote name='JJSP']It definitely tells you not to use "like new" in the title when you list something. You ignored the warning, and you got burned. Welcome to life.[/quote]

I agree. I know it let it go through as recent as last year, but I tried to use it a few months back, and I got the warning.
Obviously I listened/read, and changed it.

[quote name='K_G']I suspect that Ebay is more concerned about buyers getting confused over condition descriptions than something more descriptive like your example....If folks are so stupid to mix up COD 3 for COD 4, there is really no hope for them...while the semantic gamesmanship that can be created by the seemingly variable definition of 'new' has probably proved problematic numerous times in relationship to a used item that they've decided to effectively ban the use of it with a used item..[/quote]

I know, I was just being sarcastic. But I did notice that with CoD last night.

[quote name='wubb']Exactly.

Just consider it a lesson learned. Words like 'Excellent condition' or 'Mint' shouldn't get you into trouble with eBay (but they might cause headaches from a buyer with a differing opinion on what makes a game exc. cond.)[/QUOTE]

I always put "SOLD AS-IS" to avoid the "crazies."

It's been this way for a while I think and it's damn stupid but Ebay wants to protect it's idiot buyers of course.[/QUOTE]

search string: Luminous Arc new -like

:p

... And yes, the average eBay buyer is stupid. I was going to use the word "retarded," but I didn't want to offend people who really do have mental disabilities.

I wasn't going to post since I haven't sold anything on ebay in a while, but then I saw this:

[quote name='Scavenger4']Tons of items daily get pulled because of "Like New" in the title.

Generally buyers don't seem to care if you talk about condition in the title as they'll click and see that the game is in perfect shape with only the shrink wrap removed.[/quote]

Obviously Scavenger4 isn't aware that the average ebay buyer doesn't ever read the item description. Just look at all the testimonies of people posting new sealed items, putting sealed in the title/description, having pictures, and then getting questions from buyers 'Is this sealed?'

[quote name='almasy82']i got it one time for putting Wii compatible on mario dance mix..... I was annoyed to say the least[/quote]
And what is wrong for Wii compatible? fucking eBay.

Haha whenever i sell any Sony game i do,

Game Title Sony PlayStation 1 2 3 PS1 PS2 PS3,

If it works on all 3 there's nothing wrong.

Same with when I sell Xbox games if they are BC i'll say 360 Compatible.

eBay knows most of 95% of the buyers are "special" and need to be treated as such.

Surprised they don't have new buyers download styrofoam helmets.

I almost did this once. But before I finalized the listing, I took a look at the BIG ass warning that they posted that terms like 'like new' aren't allowed. Saved my auction from getting pulled.

[quote name='AkariK']I wasn't going to post since I haven't sold anything on ebay in a while, but then I saw this:

Obviously Scavenger4 isn't aware that the average ebay buyer doesn't ever read the item description. Just look at all the testimonies of people posting new sealed items, putting sealed in the title/description, having pictures, and then getting questions from buyers 'Is this sealed?'[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm quite aware of the "crazy" buyers on ebay (which are far from the "average ebay buyer") that don't read item descriptions. It is my observation that buyers read the item description MORE than they actually read the title. I get more questions when I put information pertaining to completeness/condition in the title rather than the item description.

For the record: http://stores.ebay.com/Dorm-Room-Games_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

1600+ items currently listed with silver powerseller status. I would say its fair enough to assume that I'm well versed in most aspects of ebay.

[quote name='JJSP']It definitely tells you not to use "like new" in the title when you list something. You ignored the warning, and you got burned. Welcome to life.[/quote]

Yep.

i don't see how it's spamming by putting Like new, i've seen plenty of those like new items. Not saying yours is but maybe they are startin to crackdown on misleading titles

[quote name='daminion']Pleasant. and it's "infinite" by the way.

OP -- likely what happened is a competing seller reported your auction for less competition.[/quote]

Thank you professor... I was thinking this was simply a message board. Thank you for showing me that I would be graded on this. I will take note next time.

bread's done
Back