So sick of "offers"

mbradley1992

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (94%)
I think it should be totally ruled out in the trading forums for people to post "make me an offer". Here is why. Someone has a game they want to sell. In their mind, they are thinking, "I'd really like $20 for this" because they saw that GS has the same game for $20. Well, say someone else wants that game, so they contact the guy. Person #1 says "make me an offer", so then person #2, realizing that THIS IS A SITE FOR CHEAP ASS GAMERS WHO ARE TRYING TO GET DEALS AMONG FELLOW GAMERS AND NOT PAY FULL RETAIL PRICES, he offers $15 shipped to the guy thinking this is a good deal compared to GS. Then Person #1 gets offended, thinks the guy is lowballing him, and ignores the guy.

What sense is there in that? When you go to a yard sale, there are usually set prices. People already know what they want for a game before they post it. It is frustrating to read that because it is a lose-lose for the person 9 times out of 10 because they either 1) piss the guy off because the seller thinks he is trying to get lowballed or 2) the buyer pays more than it would cost to go down to walmart or gamestop and buy it, or even to order it online with shipping.

It does irritate me when the seller reacts that way when they've I cited offers. I'm curious how CAG trading 2.0 will look.

Bringing this back from the grave to agree. Sellers needed to set prices, because they know exactly how much they'd be willing to take, so at least list the price you want it at or OBO. That way I don't have to go through topics that actually list prices for the items.

The whole "offer" thing can still apply for trades obviously, but for selling, please make price listing mandatory, I'm tired of this offer crap.

I feel offers open up possibility for negotiating/upselling, which is always nice - so in that regard, I appreciate it. What I dislike are these assumptive dicks who are like "Lowballs will be ignored." Who the fuck do you think you are? Okay your majesty, I'll do my best to produce the price you want through my powers of clairvoyance...

I think it's time we address the real issue: Sellers who think that by setting the price of "make me an offer", that they will receive an offer that is higher than their expectations, as if they wittingly "tricked" a potential buyer into offering more by keeping what they want a secret.

To that I give the same reply: See the title of the site/community. It's not happening.

~HotShotX

[quote name='blaked569']I feel offers open up possibility for negotiating/upselling, which is always nice - so in that regard, I appreciate it. What I dislike are these assumptive dicks who are like "Lowballs will be ignored." Who the fuck do you think you are? Okay your majesty, I'll do my best to produce the price you want through my powers of clairvoyance...[/QUOTE]

The least they could do is set a starting price themselves of what they want to get for it or hell, maybe $5 higher and let the bargaining from there begin.

EDIT: Speaking of which, my list is guilty of the same thing since I never updated it, but its been locked forever.

am i the only one who thinks you people are over reacting? i mean if your tired of people asking you to make them an offer, then its simple. dont do it. buy it from somewhere or someone else. the only reason you dont want to make an offer is because you dont want to pay more then what the person is willing to sell it for. and they want people to make an offer because they dont want to sell it for less then you are willing to pay. this is a two way street.

I kinda wish there was a list of what gamestop or ebgames or whatever offered in trade-in (I'm sure there is, but follow my point). That way, sellers could consult that list and set a price between what they'd get for trade-in and what it sells for in-store.

[quote name='blaked569']I feel offers open up possibility for negotiating/upselling, which is always nice - so in that regard, I appreciate it. What I dislike are these assumptive dicks who are like "Lowballs will be ignored." Who the fuck do you think you are? Okay your majesty, I'll do my best to produce the price you want through my powers of clairvoyance...[/QUOTE]

lol

I don't really mind people asking for offers, after all I've done that myself. I think what's annoying is when people who don't list prices get indignant upon being lowballed. This is CAG after all, if you offer someone a chance to name the price they want to pay, it will always be "not much".

If you don't list prices and are offered less than you wanted, at least be polite about it, because it's going to happen a lot.

**** that. I'm not going to look up prices for every game on my list and then have to update them frequently.

If you PM me, I specifically have a 'make me an offer if a price isn't listed' rule listed. If I don't like your offer, I will just decline or come with a counter-offer. It's not my fault some people give rude replies.

[quote name='Hostile']**** that. I'm not going to look up prices for every game on my list and then have to update them frequently.

If you PM me, I specifically have a 'make me an offer if a price isn't listed' rule listed. If I don't like your offer, I will just decline or come with a counter-offer. It's not my fault some people give rude replies.[/QUOTE]

At least you have SOME prices listed. That's more than most people can say. Guess I've just been spoiled by SRK where posting prices is a rule, lol.

I tend to be fair on offers. If I feel something is worth 20 and someone offers 15, I'll take it. Granted, half the time when people send me an offer it's 5, or some sports game/generic sequel I could care less about.

bread's done
Back