So this nerd bought a shirt from me on ebay...

cognitive77

CAGiversary!
and now wants to return it. I sold the shirt as "Official Kevin Smith Dogma t-shirt. Great condition and comes from a smoke free home. No tears or stains."

Some dude buys it for $6 ($11 including shipping). It was put on Ebay as a large. Now this is the reply I get back.

"Hi, The shirt arrived and I got just as excited as I did winning the auction because it is a unique & very cool shirt and I was really looking forward to wearing it, clothes make the man you know. But now I'm not so excited. I do realize the shirt was preowned and I expected it to have seen some use and be somewhat worn but to describe it as being in "Great condition" when the neck is so streatched out it flops instead of laying flat, well, that must have been somekind of oversight because the flopping doesn't look cool. What it looks is funny, and not in a good way. Anyway I am pretty disappointed and I wondering what your thoughts are. Looking forward to hearing from you, Bill"

This is what I respond with:

"Bill sorry to hear you're disappointed in the shirt. I don't know what to say really. I don't have a large head or neck, so the neck being stretched is a surprise to me. I don't smoke and the shirt has no holes, tears or rips. I've used fade resistant laundry detergent for the past 10 years on all of my clothes, and never wear t-shirts like these when doing house chores. The only thing I can say is that the neck isn't stretched at all, thats just the way it came when bought new. "

And now I get this:

"Chris, That could be, that the neck came the way it is, all things are possible. Anyway, there is no way that I can wear the shirt so I mailed it back to you this morning. If you would, please take a look and see if it is how you remember it to have been. Enjoy, Bill"

My problem is, this idiot mailed this off back to me without talking to me about it first. So my question is, do I refund the guy or not?

[quote name='cognitive77']and now wants to return it. I sold the shirt as "Official Kevin Smith Dogma t-shirt. Great condition and comes from a smoke free home. No tears or stains."

Some dude buys it for $6 ($11 including shipping). It was put on Ebay as a large. Now this is the reply I get back.

"Hi, The shirt arrived and I got just as excited as I did winning the auction because it is a unique & very cool shirt and I was really looking forward to wearing it, clothes make the man you know. But now I'm not so excited. I do realize the shirt was preowned and I expected it to have seen some use and be somewhat worn but to describe it as being in "Great condition" when the neck is so streatched out it flops instead of laying flat, well, that must have been somekind of oversight because the flopping doesn't look cool. What it looks is funny, and not in a good way. Anyway I am pretty disappointed and I wondering what your thoughts are. Looking forward to hearing from you, Bill"

This is what I respond with:

"Bill sorry to hear you're disappointed in the shirt. I don't know what to say really. I don't have a large head or neck, so the neck being stretched is a surprise to me. I don't smoke and the shirt has no holes, tears or rips. I've used fade resistant laundry detergent for the past 10 years on all of my clothes, and never wear t-shirts like these when doing house chores. The only thing I can say is that the neck isn't stretched at all, thats just the way it came when bought new. "

And now I get this:

"Chris, That could be, that the neck came the way it is, all things are possible. Anyway, there is no way that I can wear the shirt so I mailed it back to you this morning. If you would, please take a look and see if it is how you remember it to have been. Enjoy, Bill"

My problem is, this idiot mailed this off back to me without talking to me about it first. So my question is, do I refund the guy or not?[/QUOTE]

Don't

Refuse the package when it shows up and email the guy explaining that you don't plan on taking it back since you know there is nothing wrong with it.

If you open the box, that would open you up to pay for his return shipping along with the refund and he could still leave negative feedback for you.

Of course, if you do it my way, you'll probably still get a negative feedback but alas, that's eBay for you. There will always be insane dicks that will try to work you over if the situation didn't pan out the exact way they planned it in their head.

Strange, he didn't actually say he wanted a refund. If you get it back yeah just refund him minus all auction and paypal fees.

hell no. u just made a a few bucks and still have the shirt. just give it a wash and ur good to go. its his fault he sent it back without an ok.

You better list that shirt again and make another 11 beans. Maybe the next stupid asshole that wins will mail it back to you because he realizes he bought a Kevin Smith Tshirt.

Even if he sent it back, if he did it without telling you or really even negotiating at all, then just don't fuckin' refund it. Don't send it back to him, either - sell that shit again, as JimmieMac suggested.

In this case I favor the OP... the buyer is an idiot and deserves to get stiffed. As for your title, you called the buyer a nerd but um... you are the seller of the same shirt. lol

You get the shirt back, and email him saying "yup thats how I remember my shirt, now paypal me $5 so I can mail this back to you"

I'd be curious to know if he went all out and got delivery confirmation.

I'd just refund him once the shirt got back unless it's obvious he fucked up the shirt himself somehow. Not worth worrying with over $11.

[quote name='Maklershed']I like how the OP is calling the other guy a nerd.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm a nerd, just not a spastic nerd like this guy that bought my t-shirt. Just the way the guy talks, kinda comes across as something being wrong with him.

Be careful with this one. He seems like the kind of person that would go into a blind murderous rage if you did anything even remotely different to his set plans.

tell him that you have his addresses now and that your going to fly to his house and kick his ass

I assume this is the item?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sid=m37&satitle=200224660174&category0=&fvi=1

If so then you have to refund his money. You clearly state a 7 day return policy. So he didn't need your acceptance to send it back... you already gave it on the listing by offering the return. You also didn't state that the original shipping fees aren't refundable, so he would be in the clear to ask for a full refund ($11).

The right thing to do is refund him in full and ask him to complete the "buyer & seller mutually agree not to complete the transaction" process. That way you aren't out any seller fees. You should eat the loss on the original shipping as well unless you can agree with the buyer to split these costs.

[quote name='daminion']I assume this is the item?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sid=m37&satitle=200224660174&category0=&fvi=1

If so then you have to refund his money. You clearly state a 7 day return policy. So he didn't need your acceptance to send it back... you already gave it on the listing by offering the return. You also didn't state that the original shipping fees aren't refundable, so he would be in the clear to ask for a full refund ($11).

The right thing to do is refund him in full and ask him to complete the "buyer & seller mutually agree not to complete the transaction" process. That way you aren't out any seller fees. You should eat the loss on the original shipping as well unless you can agree with the buyer to split these costs.[/QUOTE]

hes right, refund the guy. plus, its not worth the trouble anyway.

First, I wouldn't buy a used t-shirt no matter how many time's it's been washed from someone on ebay.

That guy is a big :baby: if it doesn't look good on him. He knew it will be a lot of trouble to return it if it didn't look good on him, yet the :dunce: sent it back to you without getting your ok.

So your choice, when it comes you can either write "RETURN TO SENDER" or just take it back. You could open it up and damage it then take some pictures and say "I Got the t-shirt back but it's been ripped and you want me to give your money back after you damaged it?!?!!"

I would not give him his money back. Don't fall for this 200% ebay customer satisfactory crap because I am pretty sure he won't be the last :baby: you will be dealing with.

I'd say refund him, less the cost of shipping. You did specify a 7-day return policy. The relative anonymity of the internet doesn't exempt you from upholding a customer service promise.

Also, remind me not to trade with you on here. o.o

Don't send it back. If you do, it's just begging him to open up a NAD issue with PayPal. I agree with the majority on this one. Take the shirt back and just refund the money. Have him start a mutual withdraw on the auction and go on.

yea used shirts? no thanks.. i prob wouldnt even bother to sell any of my shirts..

but yea refund since its such low $ your talking about here

I think you're missing the fact that he offered a return policy on the actual listing. The buyer is doing his part by the rules, the seller should as well.

And look, it's $11. I made that in the time it took me to write this post.

[quote name='ITDEFX']First, I wouldn't buy a used t-shirt no matter how many time's it's been washed from someone on ebay.

That guy is a big :baby: if it doesn't look good on him. He knew it will be a lot of trouble to return it if it didn't look good on him, yet the :dunce: sent it back to you without getting your ok.

So your choice, when it comes you can either write "RETURN TO SENDER" or just take it back. You could open it up and damage it then take some pictures and say "I Got the t-shirt back but it's been ripped and you want me to give your money back after you damaged it?!?!!"

I would not give him his money back. Don't fall for this 200% ebay customer satisfactory crap because I am pretty sure he won't be the last :baby: you will be dealing with.[/quote]

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I'd say refund him, less the cost of shipping. You did specify a 7-day return policy. The relative anonymity of the internet doesn't exempt you from upholding a customer service promise.

Also, remind me not to trade with you on here. o.o[/quote]

Scenario: I buy every single shirt this guy has, and lets say the total shipping was $100. Then, because I am a total douche, I decide to send everything back to him. After a few hours I email the seller saying that "nothing fits" so I already sent everything back to him.

Now, with your reasoning, the seller should swallow the $100 shipping cost and refund the guy his money, even though he mentions nothing of a refund. I think one basic condition of a refund is ASKING FOR ONE. And talking with the seller about it before returning the item.

Seriously, this is like walking into Walmart with a damn shirt you purchased from the store, giving it to one of the sales clerks, leave, come back in a few hours and say "Hey, this shirt didn't fit me. What do you think?" I mean, come on? That clerk is going to give you the "you are a freaking idiot" look that you undoubtedly deserve.

So ya, he didn't ask for a refund, so don't give him one. Although I do suggest you change the wording in your return policy.

I would say refund him the Auction selling price minus the fees ($6-ebay/paypal fees) if the shirt arrives as described and he has a really small head or something. If you get it back and it looks like he tried putting in on a baby elephant tell him he f'ed it up and that if he wants it back to pay for return shipping. I hate when eBay turns into this shit over an $11 T-shirt.

you had a return policy stated in the auction. so take it back and return his money, without the shipping as you stated. lesson learned?

[quote name='InFlames215']Seriously, this is like walking into Walmart with a damn shirt you purchased from the store, giving it to one of the sales clerks, leave, come back in a few hours and say "Hey, this shirt didn't fit me. What do you think?" I mean, come on? That clerk is going to give you the "you are a freaking idiot" look that you undoubtedly deserve.

So ya, he didn't ask for a refund, so don't give him one. Although I do suggest you change the wording in your return policy.[/QUOTE]

Have you been to Wal-Mart? Seriously. When I worked there (about 10 years ago) my managers took back a treadmill (that was stuck going 40MPHs, yeah we had some fun with that) from 1983 and with no proof that it was bought at a Wal-Mart.

The right thing to do would be to give the guy a refund if he went to the trouble of mailing it back himself and he seemed to be civil in his emails. Sure he needed better communication skills, but I would expect any CAGer to refund me if something like that happened here.

[quote name='InFlames215']Seriously, this is like walking into Walmart with a damn shirt you purchased from the store, giving it to one of the sales clerks, leave, come back in a few hours and say "Hey, this shirt didn't fit me. What do you think?" I mean, come on? That clerk is going to give you the "you are a freaking idiot" look that you undoubtedly deserve.[/quote]

The two scenarios have nothing in common with the exception of a shirt. Try again.

Just to clear some things up. For those who are quick to jump to conclusions that I'm a dishonest trader/ebayer, why don't you check my feedback on ebay. Or better yet, don't, I could care less. But don't assume that just because I ask some fellow CAGer's their opinions, that I'm trying to screw this guy over. I did a quick search on Ebay for a statement regarding their return policy and couldn't find any info.

After some have stated here, I will probably refund him. Also, I don't quiet have need for larges when I've recently lost 30 pounds so...

Anyways, I appreciate the constructive feedback.

Not trying to be a dick,but I really don't understand the issue seeing as your the one who put the refund option in your auction....

If the item was returned within 7 days give his money back...its $11 jeez...and secondly....don't sell used T-shirts on ebay...thats grimey...either give them em away/donate them or chuck em....

bread's done
Back