So would a wireless router work for Nintendo DS wi-fi???

BrerDan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I know details aren't out yet, but I'm curious if you more tech-savy folks can share your insight and guesses.

I'll be moving soon and at the same time my partner will be getting a high quality laptop from his work. Since I have never had a laptop, XBox, or PS2--I have never even considered wireless routers. I will likely be buying a friend's DS this week, and am now curious. Would a wireless router be able to connect both a laptop and a DS to the internet (assuming a cable/DSL internet connection) wirelessly? Would both be able to connect at the same time? Like I said, this is all new to me.

Thanks!!!!

BrerDan

yes, since the signal is now "out in the open." Any 802.11x (a/b/g/n) device will now be able to jump on it

you'll be able to use multiple devices as well. I have 3 computers & 2 laptops on 1 wifi router

yes, since the signal is now "out in the open." Any 802.11x (a/b/g/n) device will now be able to jump on it

you'll be able to use multiple devices as well. I have 3 computers & 2 laptops on 1 wifi router

My thougts exactly. hope they release some solution to allow it to go online with a wired network though.

So will the new DS wireless allow you to play with other people on the Internet (sort of like Xbox live), or do you have to all be hooked to the same network, or in the same general area?

[quote name='BrerDan']I know details aren't out yet, but I'm curious if you more tech-savy folks can share your insight and guesses.

I'll be moving soon and at the same time my partner will be getting a high quality laptop from his work. Since I have never had a laptop, XBox, or PS2--I have never even considered wireless routers. I will likely be buying a friend's DS this week, and am now curious. Would a wireless router be able to connect both a laptop and a DS to the internet (assuming a cable/DSL internet connection) wirelessly? Would both be able to connect at the same time? Like I said, this is all new to me.

Thanks!!!!

BrerDan[/quote]

Short answer... Yes.
You may need to end up doing a little bit of configuration, but yes.

Now what are you doing here? You should be back posting on RTM. :)

CSJ

Thanks everyone!!

Now I am one of those DS owners eagerly awaiting the implementation of Nintendo's online plans.

I'm ready,ok Nintendo? Do you hear me? Now's a good time to start ;)

BrerDan

[quote name='davidmt']So will the new DS wireless allow you to play with other people on the Internet (sort of like Xbox live), or do you have to all be hooked to the same network, or in the same general area?[/quote]dont know :whistle2:/

methinks there'll have to be a central server/location of sorts, or rather some place that all the DSes point to to find players

[quote name='whiteboy']

My thougts exactly. hope they release some solution to allow it to go online with a wired network though.[/quote]

Why would they go backwards? It sucks you don't have a wifi router but there's no way they're going to make an attachment for a wired solution. Maybe they will after the come out with a rotary dial cell phone.

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='whiteboy']

My thougts exactly. hope they release some solution to allow it to go online with a wired network though.[/quote]

Why would they go backwards? It sucks you don't have a wifi router but there's no way they're going to make an attachment for a wired solution. Maybe they will after the come out with a rotary dial cell phone.[/quote]

That is kind of funny... people whine and complain about Nintendo being behind the times, so then they decided to jump slightly ahead of the curve, and people decide to whine and complain about that.

A wireless router is like what 50 bucks now?

Hell I was about to buy one anyway so I can steal internet from people with unprotected networks... uhh.. or you know like bryant park.

Anyway remember how people complained that you needed to have more than one GBA to play Crystal Chronicles dispite the knowledge that like four out of ten people already own one now?

"you wanna play? bring your own damn GBA! I know you have one!"

[quote name='Alpha2']A wireless router is like what 50 bucks now?

Hell I was about to buy one anyway so I can steal internet from people with unprotected networks... uhh.. or you know like bryant park.[/quote]
Dude, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Your DSL/Cable provider gives you a modem to get you your high speed connection. The router connects to that to get your connection wireless for all your other wi-fi devices. In order to "steal" a connection, you only need a wi-fi device that is in range of a wireless "hotspot" (e.g. a wireless laptop in Bryant Park). :roll:

In any case, a wired DS connection will never happen. I've seen wireless routers going for under 20 bucks at Best Buy! :shock:

[quote name='whiteboy']

And where would you plug in the wire? A NIC for the GBA slot?

WiFI routers are ridiculously cheap. Practically coming out of cereal boxes.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='whiteboy']

And where would you plug in the wire? A NIC for the GBA slot?

WiFI routers are ridiculously cheap. Practically coming out of cereal boxes.[/quote]

i just found one in my cheerios!!

Is there any way if you have a wired router to just get some kind of cheap receiver to plug in the router to pick up a wifi or any type of wireless signal?

I've been wondering about this for DS and maybe PSP before I'd go buy a wireless router.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Is there any way if you have a wired router to just get some kind of cheap receiver to plug in the router to pick up a wifi or any type of wireless signal?

I've been wondering about this for DS and maybe PSP before I'd go buy a wireless router.[/quote]

It's called an access point. It's how WiFi achieved popularity before it was cheap enough to embed in consumer routers. On a large campus installation you would still use access points for coverage.

The thing is that standalone access points are expensive compared to an integrated product that can share a lot of the processing power among the different functions. If you go shopping you'll find it less exepensive to just replace your router with the Wifi version than add devices to the router. This also eliminates adding another power supply and finding a location to place the AP.

[quote name='DCGCPlayer'][quote name='Alpha2']A wireless router is like what 50 bucks now?

Hell I was about to buy one anyway so I can steal internet from people with unprotected networks... uhh.. or you know like bryant park.[/quote]
Dude, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Your DSL/Cable provider gives you a modem to get you your high speed connection. The router connects to that to get your connection wireless for all your other wi-fi devices. In order to "steal" a connection, you only need a wi-fi device that is in range of a wireless "hotspot" (e.g. a wireless laptop in Bryant Park). [/quote]

I dont actually have broadband/dsl/cable so I know nothing about that part of it and never claimed I did, but friends of mine have indeed used hotspots and hooked into internet connections that they didn't even know existed just because their laptops had WiFi and it was barly in range of where they were which is what I was trying to say, when I meantioned Bryant Park I was refering to the hotspot there.

[quote name='whiteboy']

Now that doesnt make sense as others pointed out but i think the biggest reason it doesnt has yet to be said.

A DS a PORTABLE gaming system. To make it wired would totally defeat the purpose no?

[quote name='Weedy649'][quote name='whiteboy']

Now that doesnt make sense as others pointed out but i think the biggest reason it doesnt has yet to be said.

A DS a PORTABLE gaming system. To make it wired would totally defeat the purpose no?[/quote]

agreed, for the people without a wireless router, I think it's almost time to invest in one, especially if you plan on owning a PSP or DS.

I'm pretty sure the current DS doesn't use any of the 802.11x standards. It uses some propreitary thingy -_-..... So I think when the DS goes online you'll need to buy something.

[quote name='Zoglog']I'm pretty sure the current DS doesn't use any of the 802.11x standards. It uses some propreitary thingy -_-..... So I think when the DS goes online you'll need to buy something.[/quote]

http://www.nintendo.com/techspecds

I can't imagine where you got that idea. The signaling is plainly 802.11b, many have already analyzed it for hacking and general curiousity. Nintendo runs a proprietary encoding for data over the 802.11 layer but that is transparent to equipment such as routers. They just move packets without caring what is contained in those packets.

I see, but either way that would require either a firmware upgrade or an additional hardware device to make it work with hotspots. yes no?

Has Nintendo said anything in the way of firmware upgrades? Is the DS firmware upgradable?

I'd like an update that lets you customize GBA input

Or maybe something that would let you play GBA games mulltiplayer wirelessly (though I highly doubt that, nintendo still wants to milk out the GBA SP)

[quote name='Zoglog']I see, but either way that would require either a firmware upgrade or an additional hardware device to make it work with hotspots. yes no?[/quote]

No, it need only be incorporated in the game code. A game could have any number of things done in the software, such as new authentication schemes for secure logins to things potentially involving real money i.e. Phantasy Star. The amount of code required is fairly small.

Bumped this thread. Could someone plz recommend me a wireless router that works with their DS. I had the USB adapter but I just didn't like it. Anyone know of any?

I'm a PC nut and didn't give a damn about WiFi til recently...

Yeah, DS for Xmas. DAMMIT, combine that with Mario Kart DS and you bet your ass I'm watching deals on WiFi routers now! I'll be screwed once they release Metroid Prime Hunters... ohhhhhh yeah!

Or specifically: how should a router be configured to let a DS connect? Does it have to become a completely public access point? If so, it's probably not worth it.

I have a D-Link and it works pretty well,
I dont loose signal, and it seems to have a good transmission range.
you will need to go into the Routers settings and change the TX rate to 1 or 2,
if the router is running too fast of a communication speed in the wireless the DS cannot communicate with it.

also you can set up a WEP key the DS can recognize them, you just have to put the key in the WiFi setup on the DS.

bread's done
Back