SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo BETA

slimpip

CAGiversary!
CHECK YOUR EMAIL!

Just got an e-mail inviting me to participate in the beta. You're required to sign up through the PSP web browser. So update to firmware 2.0 if you're interested in the beta and get the email.

using only your PSP browser. (You will not be able to register for this beta test any other way.)

Yea I just got the same email. It was in my yahoo bulk so I almost didn't get it. IDK if I wanna do this. I haven't updated my PSP to 2.00 yet, and didn't really want to. What do you get for beta testing?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you won't get anything. The only time I remember a beta tester actually getting something free from Sony was the hard drive when the FFXI beta test was out.

If you are into the homebrew and emulation of the PSP don't upgrade the firmware (although I guarantee Sony is going to have the "required update" at some point or another). Otherwise I say go for it.

[quote name='monsoon man']Yea I just got the same email. It was in my yahoo bulk so I almost didn't get it. IDK if I wanna do this. I haven't updated my PSP to 2.00 yet, and didn't really want to. What do you get for beta testing?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The privledge to beta test a game for free? What else do you want?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']The privledge to beta test a game for free? What else do you want?[/QUOTE]

LOL i was hoping for a t-shirt or something IDK. I know wishful thinking on my part. Got spoiled by Sony's faulty demo disc thing..

I got my email a few min. ago. I don't have a PSP though. I was going to tell my 2 buds with PSPs but I doubt they will want to upgrade.

I just got it and signed up. Hopefully I get in. I've never played a SOCOM game before. My e-mail was timed at 10:12PM EST, so here's hoping it's not full yet.

[quote name='Jobbercho']Got the email.. don't have a PSP though[/QUOTE]

That funny. They seem to mess up with beta e-mails a lot. I.E., sending online PS2 betas to people without network adaptors registered. Maybe they just mass e-mail 1,000 random GAP members and don't even check that stuff.

I'm not going to update.....it's a horrible idea to update to solely play a beta. SOCOM II will be better than the first iteration, as we all can foretell.

I can't imagine playing Socom on a psp. I'm just so used to dual analogs. I'm not even sure if i'm gonna get socom 3 hopeuflly it's not as bad as some people who beta tested are saying

[quote name='lurknomore']I'm not going to update.....it's a horrible idea to update to solely play a beta. SOCOM II will be better than the first iteration, as we all can foretell.[/QUOTE]

I *could* be wrong, but SOCOM II has been out for years. ;) SOCOM III and SOCOM PSP link and I think are being released the same day, no?

Besides, 2.0 is awesome and worth the upgrade for WPA encryption alone. Do you really enjoy emulators on your $250 handheld? You know, stuff a sub-$100 PDA could do.

I got this, too, but like others, I don't have a PSP... They don't seem to pay much attention, since I got in on the online 25 To Life beta, and I don't have a network adapter... They really need to work on their beta signup system.

i got this as well...but there is no way i'm giving up homebrew just to play a beta of game that can't be good.

And when i saw it can't be good...i mean a FPS on the psp. There needs to be a joystick on the right side of the system for most people to be able to play it with any skill.

[quote name='Friedle']I *could* be wrong, but SOCOM II has been out for years. ;) SOCOM III and SOCOM PSP link and I think are being released the same day, no?

Besides, 2.0 is awesome and worth the upgrade for WPA encryption alone. Do you really enjoy emulators on your $250 handheld? You know, stuff a sub-$100 PDA could do.[/QUOTE]

Ho, ho, ho. I hadn't heard about that. Worth the upgrade right there.

[quote name='Friedle']I *could* be wrong, but SOCOM II has been out for years. ;) SOCOM III and SOCOM PSP link and I think are being released the same day, no?

Besides, 2.0 is awesome and worth the upgrade for WPA encryption alone. Do you really enjoy emulators on your $250 handheld? You know, stuff a sub-$100 PDA could do.[/QUOTE]

By saying SOCOM II. I meant that the second iteration of a PSP Socom game.

You are coming at me about a sub-$100PDA and 2.0, but why do you need the WPA encryption on your PSP. How much web-surfing are you going to be doing? It only has a 802.11 b ...that is too slow for anybody to reasonably do anything productive with and the key entry is miserable. I view my PSP as solely a video game playing portable, and if not for the emulators, I'd never touch it.....until besides Lumines comes out that is worth playing.

PSP Proxy is good enough.

Wow, could someone who is not going to use it forward me the beta invite?

I already have 2.0, and I have never played a Socom game and want to try it out.

[quote name='Dingleberry']how can you not be interested in homebrew?

do you realize how frustrating it is to try and play a FPS on the psp?[/QUOTE]

I didn't buy a PSP to play homebrew. I guess I will find out how frustrating it is to play a FPS on a PSP, but it won't cost me anything.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Ho, ho, ho. I hadn't heard about that. Worth the upgrade right there.[/QUOTE]

I thought so too. WPA isn't bulletproof, but it's a helluva lot better than fucking WEP.

[quote name='lurknomore']By saying SOCOM II. I meant that the second iteration of a PSP Socom game.

I figured, I was only teasing.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lurknomore'] You are coming at me about a sub-$100PDA and 2.0, but why do you need the WPA encryption on your PSP. How much web-surfing are you going to be doing? It only has a 802.11 b ...that is too slow for anybody to reasonably do anything productive with and the key entry is miserable. I view my PSP as solely a video game playing portable, and if not for the emulators, I'd never touch it.....until besides Lumines comes out that is worth playing.

PSP Proxy is good enough.[/QUOTE]

802.11b is more than adequate web surfing. Where are you surfing that 11Mbps isn't fast enough? I even run torrents at several hundred kb/sec from my .11b PowerBook. In fact, 802.11b is faster than the consumer broaband conenction. Does your ISP give you a downstream at speeds in the excess of 11Mbps? I don't think so. The only area where speed would be an issue is moving large files internally on your network. And those speeds average higher than the torrent speeds. So I see no real issue there.

So, maybe you don't know what you're talkin about, hmm?

And I think you're missing the point. You can't have mixed encryption on a network. So I bumped my network (i.e. my laptop and my dad's laptop) to WEP when I got my PSP. WEP is rather insecure. So now that the PSP supports WPA life is good on the WiFi front once again.

Your router is always broadcasting a WiFi signal, so even if you're not using the network the singal can still be captured and cracked -- and it's only a matter of time before that happens. Especially if you live in an apartment or densely populated area. Like I said in a earlier post, WPA isn't bulletproof but it is better than WEP.

My whole point with the PDA statement was that you're playing emulators on portable that a $100 unit could. The PSP is an all 'round system -- or at least, that's what it's going for. It's like you wasted your money. Spent an extra $150 just to play Lumines. Don't get me wrong, hacking stuff can produce some cool results, but the benefits of 2.0 far out-weigh legacy games.

If you're someone who doesn't want to update because you use homebrew, download the Tenchi browser and visit the website sony has in the email. I just registered successfully using a 1.5 psp and the Tenchi browser.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Wow, could someone who is not going to use it forward me the beta invite? (jayspeidell[at]gmail.com)

I already have 2.0, and I have never played a Socom game and want to try it out.[/QUOTE]

I would but it would do you no good.

Important Beta Test Guidelines

EMAIL ADDRESS: Once you have submitted your application via the PSP browser (part of Firmware 2.0), do not change the email address in your PlayStation Underground Member Profile. You may only participate in this beta test with the address to which we sent this invitation.

MAILING ADDRESS: Please be sure to confirm your current mailing address. We cannot deliver to P.O. boxes; you must provide a residential address for shipping. Once your application is submitted, you will not be able to change your mailing address. Your Beta Test Kit will automatically be delivered to the address you entered on your application. After submission, mandatory address changes must be handled through the shipping courier--this may delay delivery and/or affect your level of participation.

SHIPPING: We will not have tracking numbers available for the Beta Test Kits until they are shipped. If your application is accepted, you will receive a welcome email within the next 10 business days. This email will also contain detailed instructions on how to access the public beta test website.

FEEDBACK: As a beta tester, you will have an exclusive preview of SCEA's SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo. Your feedback may have a direct impact on the final stages of development for this game. Thank you for your interest in this opportunity--we look forward to receiving your valuable input.

If I did this I couldn't be in any other beta tests.

I own two 1.50 PSP's and there is no way in hell I am going to upgrade just to test some beta! Sure it's Socom but my 1.50s are priceless.

[quote name='lurknomore']How much web-surfing are you going to be doing? It only has a 802.11 b ...that is too slow for anybody to reasonably do anything productive[/QUOTE]

I would bet that most of you don't even realize that your cable/dsl modems are running at the same speed as 802.11b - 10Mbit. That's right folks. The WAN port on your modem is only a 10Mbit port.

[quote name='daphatty']I would bet that most of you don't even realize that your cable/dsl modems are running at the same speed as 802.11b - 10Mbit. That's right folks. The WAN port on your modem is only a 10Mbit port.[/QUOTE]

Most people don't even get 10 mbit/s, im at 6 right now. I mean most people want to get that 802.11g stuff, I don't see that point as of yet.

I have a PSP, I upgraded to 2.0 and I also got the e-mail invite. One problem: Not having a wireless router to signup for it.

Dang, it's not like a PC beta where I can hack my way into it, and I don't know anybody inside the Sony Computer Entertainment division.

I think the game is going to be great. I just registered on my PSP. If you can setup up the controls to be like Turoks where the Face buttons act as the second stick and L can be jump the game should be sweet!

[quote name='Jaket']found my way around the upgrade and signed up :)[/QUOTE]

I am not sure that there is a point to signing up without upgrading. I am 99.999989% sure that you will need to have 2.0 to play the beta. Why sign up for the beta when you will just be taking someone’s beta disk that would test it? I am not trying to flame but this is the same thing as people signing up for betas without a network adapter or broadband when it clearly states this in the invitations. Am I missing something, will this disc be worth $500 down the road? I am just trying to understand why people are signing up through loophole/illegal software just to get a disc that they can't play because they refuse to upgrade. I just hate when people are selfish and take free things they can’t or wont use.

[quote name='spoo']I am not sure that there is a point to signing up without upgrading. I am 99.999989% sure that you will need to have 2.0 to play the beta. Why sign up for the beta when you will just be taking someone’s beta disk that would test it? I am not trying to flame but this is the same thing as people signing up for betas without a network adapter or broadband when it clearly states this in the invitations. Am I missing something, will this disc be worth $500 down the road? I am just trying to understand why people are signing up through loophole/illegal software just to get a disc that they can't play because they refuse to upgrade. I just hate when people are selfish and take free things they can’t or wont use.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that they are gonna sell teh beta which is against teh ToS.

This phucking sucks ass, but the same thing happened with my Socom 3 Beta. I got the email but didnt get a chance to accept it till 4pm cmt of the same day I got it and then I get a Sorry but we got all the people we needed for it thanks.

Why the hell dont they accept the people they take the time to email. I mean wtf is wrong with them that they cant hold enough spots for people whom they say are "hand selected." lol

Easy come easy go I guess but s4!t I really wanted this one.

Yup. I got around the update by using the simple User Agent Switcher. I signed up as well. I hope I get picked. Also, you can use the WAB changer to go around the forced update of 2.0 games.

[quote name='spoo'] Why sign up for the beta when you will just be taking someone’s beta disk that would test it? I am not trying to flame but this is the same thing as people signing up for betas without a network adapter or broadband when it clearly states this in the invitations. [/QUOTE]

Since I'm one of the people that mentioned signing up for a beta without a network adapter, I'll speak up. In my case, I actually intended to take the beta over to my friend's house to test it, since he does have one. Unfortunatly, the demo arrived during a time when I ended up doing a lot of overtime at work, and couldn't make it there, so I don't think I'll be trying that again.

Thanks for the tip on the firefox extension. I went to sign up and looks like the beta is full. I am glad I didn't update my firmware for nothing.

bread's done
Back