*SOLVED! Thanks, PaulEMoz* Name that game please? C64

bookishboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Ok, so the game was first-person perspective....REALLY primitive graphics by today's standards. Everything was shown in totally simplistic lines. The plot was post-apocolyptic, and all that remained of the human race were trapped in a huge bunker complex somewhere beneath San Fransisco. They'd been living there for generations, and one day you get picked by the AI who runs the complex to try "rescuing" everyone. Turns out that the AI has been lying to everyone for some time, because it lost control of the robots who guard the city up above. Radiation levels have come back down to within human tolerance, and the AI only has control of one robot up on the surface, a simple rat-exterminating unit. The AI picked YOU to save the day because of your skills at a videogame inside the complex, "rat-shooter" or something. When you sit down to control the robot, it turns out that the controls are exactly like the videogame, so it appears the videogame was just a test. Starting out with just a simple robot, you have to sweep through the streets of SanFran, hack other robots to take them over and eventually liberate the people underground.

1. Does anyone remember the name of this?

2. Does anyone else think that it might make a decent remake?

3. Can it be emulated?

Thanks for any help.

Are you sure it was on the C64? There weren't many first person games on the C64. And the only game I can think of where you take control of other robots is Paradroid, which isn't first person, and you don't kill rats. :)

Hmmm, no I'm not entirely certain it was C64. The computer we had was a dual mode, C64/C128, so the game might have required the C128 mode. It was definitely either C64 or C128 though.

I think the graphics would be called Vector Graphics; they consisted of simple straight lines drawn towards the horizon. The game played in monochromatic black lines on a white screen, with the lines all drawn "towards the vanishing point". Even moving objects were represented as very simple polygons. It would be considered very simple-looking by today's standards, but I recall being amazed at the time by the sense of spatial movement in a videogame.

As the game went on, you could assume control of other robots, whose programs had become fried by the radiation (and thus would kill any human on sight, even the ones that they were supposed to protect). One of these was even a sort of helicopter robot, that could fly up in the air and access areas that others couldn't reach.

A-ha! Was it Cholo, by any chance? :D

cholo.jpg

!

!!!

That's it! How in the world did you find it, I was trawling through videogame database sites looking through just about any genre that would match. Once you gave me the name, a quick google search revealed that they already ARE remaking it! Can't wait to try it out when it's ready; even if it's not very good, it'll be a neat nostalgia trip.

http://www.ovine.net/game-cholo.php

Thanks, Paul!

That's the result of a mis-spent youth. :D

I never actually played it when I had a C64, but I suppose the vector graphics stood out when I read the reviews. When you mentioned the vector graphics, that's what triggered it in my mind.

You can play it now through emulators, or you could wait for that remake I suppose! :D

bread's done
Back