Some anime dvds at 99 cents stores? (I only saw InuYasha, probably ymmv)

AkariK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
275 (100%)
At the 99 cents store, I saw misc volumes of Inuyasha (v30, 31, 32, 33, perhaps more, I saw quite a few but didn't care enough to really check), and they had a LOT.

This was at the Canoga Park store. They were closing, so I didn't have time to dig through the DVDs and see if they had more.

Yeah, I've seen this at my .99 cent only stores but didn't get any because the volumes were all over the place, and I tend to be a completist, or at least to like my DVds to be in some sequential order.

The only anime (aside from cheapo dollar-bin specific companies) I've found in a dollar store are volumes 1 and 2 of Hamtaro at Dollar Tree. Which I gleefully purchased for campy/cute value.

What 99 cent store are we looking at? I don't think I've ever seen a 99 cent store around me...

sounds like these stores are kind of like an equivalent to the east side states' Meijer stores, except Meijer stores arent 99 cent stores.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']sounds like these stores are kind of like an equivalent to the east side states' Meijer stores, except Meijer stores arent 99 cent stores.[/QUOTE]How can you compare the two? It's like comparing BBQ ribs to a beachball.

[quote name='TimPV3']How can you compare the two? It's like comparing BBQ ribs to a beachball.[/QUOTE]

depends how you compare them. I was comparing them by location. Seeing as Meijer stores are located in 5 of the eastern states and these 99 cent stores are mainly in western states.

My Mom found a bunch of Inuyasha, and several other Anime shows that she had trouble pronouncing, and she told me that she was buying me every single one of them (that wasn't a double), so i'll update this thread when I find out which other Anime series' they are selling. She went to the Modesto 99 cent only store.

[quote name='Zantra']My Mom found a bunch of Inuyasha, and several other Anime shows that she had trouble pronouncing, and she told me that she was buying me every single one of them (that wasn't a double), so i'll update this thread when I find out which other Anime series' they are selling. She went to the Modesto 99 cent only store.[/QUOTE]

They must have gotten a new shipment, as the last few times I went they only had random Inuyasha.

I'm in Kentucky so no way I got a store like that close to me, they need to bring that chain over, they would so kill off Dollar Tree and Dollar General for pete sakes!

Find any Ronin Warriors, Megaman, PaniPoni Dash, Puni Puni Poemy, or Bleach let me know!

[quote name='AkariK']The main one, http://www.99only.com/[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's it- none in my state (or the adjecent ones, for that matter.) Dang.

[quote name='HCHecxz']
Find any Ronin Warriors, Megaman, PaniPoni Dash, Puni Puni Poemy, or Bleach let me know![/QUOTE]

Hell, if you find Ronin Warriors, just buy it- that show's getting pricey lately, I think you could get your money back for it. ;)

UPDATE: Okay folks,
Here are the InuYasha DVD's my Mom brought home... plus the one I bought.
Vol. 24 Severed Identities
Vol. 26 Curse of Generations
Vol. 29 Castle of Evil
Vol. 30 Monkey Business
Vol. 32 Glow of the False Jewel
Vol. 33 Unexpected Encounters
Vol. 42 Farewell My Beloved
Vol. 45 The Woman Who Loved Sesshomaru

If anyone finds other volumes @ other 99 cent only stores, let me know, as I want to try and get as much of the complete series as possible. I'd rather pay $55 for the entire series in single disks, than a few hundred dollars for the boxsets. So, let me know, through PM or in the thread.

I went to the Vallejo store today, and all they had was Vol. 32. So, I bought it. I talked to an employee, who said that they had more of them in the back, but his Manager told him not to put them out until the current 99 cent DVD rack starts getting empty. I basically begged him to go find more in the back, but he said that there was nothing he could do, because his manager was standing right there. So, they have more, and of different volumes, the Vallejo store is just being weird. They had 21 copies of Vol. 32. So, I guess when those sell out, they'll put out more @ my local store.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 99 cent stores where the Inuyasha DVDs are found are only in CA and i think TX. They had these for awhile as well as Friends "The best of Seasons" NBA on TNT as as well as some TNT movies.

I just did the math...
And, I figured out why the single disks of InuYasha didn't sell very well. Each disk was selling for $20, and there are 55 disks with three or four episodes each. So, if we do the math... 20x55=1,100
They wanted people to pay $1,100.00 before taxes, for the entire series of InuYasha. So, i'm glad that Viz's loss is our gain, for once. Not that I don't like Viz, it's just that paying over $1,000 for any Anime series is insane!

[quote name='HCHecxz']I'm in Kentucky so no way I got a store like that close to me, they need to bring that chain over, they would so kill off Dollar Tree and Dollar General for pete sakes![/QUOTE]

I hate Dollar Tree. We used to have a couple of Deals dollar stores around here that were awesome, then Dollar Tree bought the chain out and they suck now. Dollor General really isn't a dollar store, their prices are usually pretty close to Wal-Marts. I have found some incredible buys there from time to time, like SCTV for $10 a season a couple of years ago.

[quote name='cheapbastard']The 99 cent stores where the Inuyasha DVDs are found are only in CA and i think TX. They had these for awhile as well as Friends "The best of Seasons" NBA on TNT as as well as some TNT movies.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this for NV as well, so it's just CA and TX.

I went again yesterday, I think I saw v27, 28, 38, 40, Maybe a 30 or 33. Looks like they have pretty much 26-45 in various amounts at various places?

Seems to me, that most people have started selling these on EBay for 99 cents, also. I've already got most of the season one and two disks, which don't seem to be available, at the actual stores.

The 99 cent store in La Verne had Volume 9, 23, 24, 27, 29, 30, 33, 38, 44, and 47.
If I could get all the disks for just $55 that would be great.
$20 for 3 20min episodes is a RIPOFF.

I found some cheapie ($1) 3-episode DVD of Tobor the Eight Man which was pretty cool.

I've never found any anime DVDs at dollar stores, but I've found some stuff on VHS. Project A-ko, Captan Harlock, and other old U.S. Manga Corps releases. I regret not picking them up now.

The recent wave of dvds at the 99 cent stores seem to be Spanish movies. Only noteworthy ones are one El Santo movie & a Kaliman movie

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I've never found any anime DVDs at dollar stores, but I've found some stuff on VHS. Project A-ko, Captan Harlock, and other old U.S. Manga Corps releases. I regret not picking them up now.[/QUOTE]

There is a dollar store chain store in Central New York (Syracuse near the airport is the one I go to) that had these VHSs by the 1000s for a quarter each a couple months ago. Utena, Slayers, Dragonball etc. I'll wager they still have a few hundred left as they'll never be able to move all those. I bought a few when they where $1.00 each a few months before that and the rest was vintage stuff that was never that good even back then.

[quote name='cheapbastard']The recent wave of dvds at the 99 cent stores seem to be Spanish movies. Only noteworthy ones are one El Santo movie & a Kaliman movie[/QUOTE]

Sweet .. been a while since I seen El Santo or Demonio Azul .. gatta keep a look out for those awesome movies from my childhood

[quote name='dragonpancake']All I have is Dollar Tree :( I did find 1 anime there in the last 3 years.... Volume 1 of Monster Rancher lol[/QUOTE]

I bought that at Dollar Tree too, last year (well, not the original first volume, but the Digiview entertainment first volume). I paid 50 cents for it, and bought 2 to give one to my fiance as a Valentine's gag gift.

I've also bought a copy of Tobor: the 8th man and friends at Dollar Tree. I was honestly pretty excited to find that silly thing.

I've had the best luck getting dollar anime at Wal-Mart, since their dollar bin rotates pretty frequently- but I think I've already picked up all the crappy old anime Digiview's put out, since I haven't seen anything new for some time. The one I'm the most sad I missed is the Enchanted Journey, which was in Walgreen's $4 dump bin many years ago. (Yes, I do collect weird old dubbed anime from bargain bins. Sort of a hobby.)

I've seen this (I'm in CA) but the store can make a big difference.

At one store, I found (and bought)

20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 38, 39,
40, 44
51, and 55

At the next store, though, all they had was stacks and stacks of 20 and 45

Should'nt there be a sticky thread for dollar store finds ?? There was one for Big lots when they bought up all those Warner titles....That would be helpfull...:bouncy:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I bought that at Dollar Tree too, last year (well, not the original first volume, but the Digiview entertainment first volume). I paid 50 cents for it, and bought 2 to give one to my fiance as a Valentine's gag gift.

I've also bought a copy of Tobor: the 8th man and friends at Dollar Tree. I was honestly pretty excited to find that silly thing.

I've had the best luck getting dollar anime at Wal-Mart, since their dollar bin rotates pretty frequently- but I think I've already picked up all the crappy old anime Digiview's put out, since I haven't seen anything new for some time. The one I'm the most sad I missed is the Enchanted Journey, which was in Walgreen's $4 dump bin many years ago. (Yes, I do collect weird old dubbed anime from bargain bins. Sort of a hobby.)[/QUOTE]

Digiview has some good stuff from time to time; even though it isn't anime (yet) I totally recommend Horror Express and Commandos.

bread's done
Back