Some Direct2Drive keys work for activating on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

channelx99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I kinda figured it was a video game deal but I appoligize if its in the wrong place or its a repost

Kind of found out about this on accident while I was trying to activate my D2D copy of Dark Messiah and it came up with an activation error and I got no help from either Ubisoft or Direct2Drive on what to do to fix it.

Just for the heck of it I entered the key into steam and it added the game to my account :) Not only that no more activation issues either.

Ive only tried a handful of games to see if they work and only a couple have so far- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and also Mount and Blade.

The ones that didnt work -
Mass Effect
Neverwinter Nights 2
World in Conflict
Deus Ex Goty

If you bought any D2D games its worth giving it a shot to see if any games work on steam- I feel safer having them in my Steam library than on D2D as Ive had nothing but problems with them, and Im not sure if they put a time limit on how long you can download your games for.

Or, you can simply give the key to a friend since in effect you now have two copies of the game, one for steam and the other for D2D

When I bought Far Cry 2 off of D2D about a year ago I immediately tried to throw the key into Steam an not surprisingly it didn't work.

It's cool that at least some games do.

[quote name='solidsmooky']Wow what a cheap ass deal this it! THANK YOU!![/QUOTE]

Idiot. Guy is only trying to help. Is this how you treat the mailman while he's sorting your mail? Its a service; get over yourself.

[quote name='latinsword']Idiot. Guy is only trying to help. Is this how you treat the mailman while he's sorting your mail? Its a service; get over yourself.[/QUOTE]

You'd be amazed to know we have general gaming discussion sections where this would be more appropriate.

also:

DO NOT CREATE THREADS TO ASK A QUESTION. ONLY POST SPECIFIC DEALS!

I do appreciate his post, but I can also understand why others wouldn't see this as a deal

[quote name='channelx99']Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I kinda figured it was a video game deal but I appoligize if its in the wrong place or its a repost

Kind of found out about this on accident while I was trying to activate my D2D copy of Dark Messiah and it came up with an activation error and I got no help from either Ubisoft or Direct2Drive on what to do to fix it.

Just for the heck of it I entered the key into steam and it added the game to my account :) Not only that no more activation issues either.

Ive only tried a handful of games to see if they work and only a couple have so far- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and also Mount and Blade.

The ones that didnt work -
Mass Effect
Neverwinter Nights 2
World in Conflict
Deus Ex Goty

If you bought any D2D games its worth giving it a shot to see if any games work on steam- I feel safer having them in my Steam library than on D2D as Ive had nothing but problems with them, and Im not sure if they put a time limit on how long you can download your games for.

Or, you can simply give the key to a friend since in effect you now have two copies of the game, one for steam and the other for D2D[/QUOTE]

Dark Messiah's MP requires Steam.
And yes, Dark Messiah's keys are accepted on Steam.

See the list the dude posted above for what Steam accepts.

Some D2D games will indicate a 3rd party installation required on their page - such as FO: New Vegas, which requires Steam.

Yeah, everybody knew this already. The first question anybody asks whenever there is a D2D deal on a game that has Steam activation is "Will this key activate on Steam?"

[quote name='solidsmooky']Wow what a cheap ass deal this it! THANK YOU!![/QUOTE]

Yea, no need to be a jerk about it. It's not really a deal, oh well. Within an hour I'm sure a mod will move it over to the right section, channelx99 will notice and he'll realize that he made an error and will have learned for next time.

We all appreciate efforts to keep the Deals board clutter free but I think I speak for a majority of CAGs when I say "don't be a dick".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back