Some ebay message making the rounds on the intrawebz

The shipping charge maximums are horrible. I currently charge less than $4.00 shipping but what if the USPS raises it rates even more?

$6.00 for accessories is even worse. What if you are shipping a Guitar Hero controller or something? They say you can use the calculator and charge actual cost but that isn't fair either. What about the cost of bubble wrap, tape etc. I charge $1.00 handling fee when I use calculated shipping which I think is fair.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']The shipping charge maximums are horrible. I currently charge less than $4.00 shipping but what if the USPS raises it rates even more?

$6.00 for accessories is even worse. What if you are shipping a Guitar Hero controller or something? They say you can use the calculator and charge actual cost but that isn't fair either. What about the cost of bubble wrap, tape etc. I charge $1.00 handling fee when I use calculated shipping which I think is fair.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. they are not even figuring thier own fee that they charge or thier freaking paypal fees. I should be through with ebay at the end of september, and then that is it! Ebat is different then Amazon, and it should be. Amazon is an acutal online store with Merchindise. I now will only use ebay for out of print games. this whole only paypal could hurt them. I have had people that paid with moneyorders, no problem. Not everyone Has paypal. this may bite ebay in the ass, and I hope it does!

Great, finally I can leave eBay. So if I sell a $10 DVD they take $1.50 from me and Paypal takes $50. Love it. Bye eBay.

[quote name='62t']WTF it cost $4.75 to ship priority mail.[/QUOTE]

I assume they are going with the assumption that everyone is shipping first class, in which case it isn't hard to send out a game for under 4 bucks. But that is a good point, I guess priority means nothing to them now.

I wonder if amazon will make a move like lowering their fees to try to counter ebay. Or yahoo auction try to make a come back.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']The shipping charge maximums are horrible. I currently charge less than $4.00 shipping but what if the USPS raises it rates even more?

$6.00 for accessories is even worse. What if you are shipping a Guitar Hero controller or something? They say you can use the calculator and charge actual cost but that isn't fair either. What about the cost of bubble wrap, tape etc. I charge $1.00 handling fee when I use calculated shipping which I think is fair.[/QUOTE]

Simple, you say it weighs more than it does.

I'm a powerseller, and I know they are supposedly "catering" to me with their damn 15% off FVF shit with excessively hard goals to reach, but fuck them.

I'm going to start listing high dollar games in the "systems" category so I don't have to pay 15%.

I'm considering starting an Amazon account, I can only take so much of this.

15%? Holy shit. What reason do I have to sell on Ebay anymore? Amazon takes a similar cut, but some games sell for more on Amazon than Ebay.
Ebay is really shocking me.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']15%? Holy shit. What reason do I have to sell on Ebay anymore? Amazon takes a similar cut, but some games sell for more on Amazon than Ebay.
Ebay is really shocking me.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately ebay kind of has a stranglehold on the market, seriously though, some of the shit you can make big bucks on through ebay is ridiculous.

250.00 for a Betamax player, 50.00 for a flowbee hair cutter that you hook up to a vacuum....garbage, but it sells on ebay.

yea for games you can use amazon, but you can only sell bundles on ebay. There are other collectibles that you can't sell on amazon. Also a lot of international buyer will pay good money for some items.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']WTF it cost $4.75 to ship priority mail.[/quote]"Sellers are required to offer at least one shipping option within the maximum and may also offer other options above the maximums for expedited or international shipping."

We can still ship Priority Mail, it's just that all sellers are apparently being forced to look more attractive by having to offer First Class Mail :bomb:

I've considered Priority time and time again over "the regular" because it's safer, faster, and worth "above the maximum." Now, eBay has given the option of the ease of being a Priority Mail Practioner...to the buyers.

Just like the ploy of removing neutral/negative buyer feedback under the pretense of sellers holding bidders hostage, eBay concocts the "perfect sell" in the idea of forcing First Class on sellers under the age old problem of overcharging for shipping.

In all of my auctions, I have always played up the fact that I do not overcharge. I buy and sell regularly, so I want to be fair, but whatever eBay thinks they're doing to remedy the situation is not even close to logical. It's especially laughable considering the numerous sellers that got away with shipping murder, over the near decade I've been a part of eBay.

Buyers are guaranteed the cheapest shipping option, sellers are rewarded with the occasional extra hassle and longer wait for (hopefully) positive feedback, eBay wins more profit by tightening the leash buyers have on sellers through such Draconian policy maneuvers.

It's like eBay is some kind of entity uncapable of gradual change.[quote name='Friend of Sonic']15%? Holy shit. What reason do I have to sell on Ebay anymore? Amazon takes a similar cut, but some games sell for more on Amazon than Ebay.
Ebay is really shocking me.[/quote]Unless I'm woefully wrong, I think it's just for fixed price stuff. eBay made it clear they were damn proud of themselves for not messing with auction fees this time. I was ready to throw eBay under the bus at first :lol:

There's a couple of things here that really bug me.

The minimum 4.3 to sell for one. Mine is well above that. But I've had people give me all 4 stars on something that I shipped the same day and sent them an email thanking them for their purchase and let them know that their package had shipped.

4 stars is not bad. 4 stars is actually "good" in most people's minds. 5 stars is exceptional.

now we have two items that contradict. forcing sellers to offer cheap/slow shipping. and then providing them with an option to rate shipping time... something completely out of the seller's hands once they have sent the package.

alright that make no sense. A UMD can charge $5, but a text book (easily over a pound) you can only charge $4?

I agree there were problem in the past where people charge $10 to ship a single dvd, but this is not helping

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MightyHealthy']Unless I'm woefully wrong, I think it's just for fixed price stuff. eBay made it clear they were damn proud of themselves for not messing with auction fees this time. I was ready to throw eBay under the bus at first :lol:[/QUOTE]
I'm still ready to throw Ebay under the bus. 15%, even if it's just for fixed price auctions, is still high. They doubled the fee, for no apparent reason other than to make a ton of money.

Cut and pasted from a post over on Digital Press:

As of 9/16, FVF for BIN for Books, Music, DVDs & Movies and Video Games will follow the following sceme:
$1.00-$50.00: 15.00% (was 8.75%).
$50.01 - $1000.00: 15.00% of the first $50, 5% for the rest (was 8.75%, 3.5%).
Over $1000.01: 15.00% for the first $50, 5% for 50-1000, and 2% for everything above that (was 8.75%, 3.5%, 1.5%).

They are lowering the insertion fee though to a flat $0.15...
Books, Music, DVDs & Movies and Video Games
$1.00 - $9.99 was $0.25
$10.00 - $24.99 was $0.35
$25.00 - $49.99 was $1.00
$50.00 - $199.99 was $2.00
$200.00 - $499.99 was $3.00
$500.00 or more was $4.00

Plus, they are instituting a maximum shipping charge. You MUST offer one shipping option that is less than the following:
Accessories Accessories $6.00
Games Games $4.00
Internet Games Games > Guild Wars $6.00
Games > World of Warcraft $3.00
Software & PC Versions $6.00
Other Other $4.00
Systems Systems $15.00
Vintage Games Vintage Games $6.00
Wholesale Lots Accessories $10.00
Console Systems $50.00
Games $9.00
Other $9.00

But wait, there's more:
"...checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay..."
"So starting in late October, 2008, we are moving to 100% electronic payments - credit cards, ProPay, or PayPal."

So, selling a $50 game on eBay used to cost $6.375. Now it will cost $7.65. Don't forget, you have to accept PayPal, so you have to add on an additional fee of $1.75, bringing the new total to $9.40. Say goodbye to 18.8% of your money...

forumlogo.jpg

The Next Video Gaming Auction Alternative :

ChaseTheChuckwagon.com (named after a rare Atari cartridge most consider the first "Holy Grail" in video game collecting) is rolling. We have over 1300 items listed, nearly 1,000 members, more and more modern gaming items in addition to our already healthy classic gaming auctions. In 5 months we've listed over 8,000 items and sold over $22,000 in merchandise.

Come check us out. You won't regret it :)

If I'm not mistaken, you can avoid the higher FVFs by using an auction-style listing with a BIN price one cent higher than the starting price. That way, the only extra costs are the additional 5.25% on the $25-50 tier of the final price, plus the BIN fee. For example, if you sell a game for $49.99 today on eBay using a fixed-price listing, your total fees would be $4.06. After the changes take effect, if you wanted to sell the same game for $49.99 using the workaround I described, your fees would be $4.72 (a 16% increase). If the game you were selling was only $24.99 or less, the fees before and after would be roughly the same.

I was thinking, I bet ebay has just killed combine shipping, especially with the power sellers that used to charge a high amount with shipping.

I Was looking over the new shipping prices. I realizied thier something that can help all the sellers that sell older games. Just put the game under Vintage games. That allows you to have $6.00 shipping instead of the $4.00 shipping that is under just games. anything older then the current systems would be out of print and would be vintage games.

All game sellers should read this:

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/OtherFAQ/#3

I'm surprised nobody has brought it up before now.

Starting in october, ebay will no longer allow sellers to accept money orders and personal checks as payment. Sellers will only be able to accept payments through paypal or merchant credit card accounts.

Fixed price listings will now charge a 12% comission.

Ebay is also introducing shipping maximums on all media items, games, movies, cds, etc.

Also, ebay is really stepping up their seller evaluation based on their detailed seller ratings (those stars in your seller feedback profile) If you have any DSR category with a score lower than 4.3, you will not be able to list on ebay or half.com.

There are a lot of new policies coming into effect, and I'm really starting to wonder if ebay's worth my time anymore.

Less than 4.3 and you won't be able to list? That's complete bull. I always get a bunch of retards rating me bad because I ship late, I ship late because they choose to pay with damn e-checks and it takes forever to clear. Also how will they handle limited edition bundles of games. You can't ship a game like rock band or maybe even a new Mario Kart for $4. I charge $3.50 for shipping but that's on a normal DVD case style game, I do charge more for bigger stuff though and I hope this won't interfere with my sales

I'm more and more tempted to do my selling on Amazon with the crap eBay is trying to pull. It's almost like they are trying to squeeze out minor/casual sellers in favor of the Power Sellers. They will no longer be an auction house, they'll be a Shopping Mall. Lame. I like eBay for auctions and bidding, not fixed price goods that I can get equal or cheaper from Amazon and know that I'm not going to be screwed in the end. I don't think eBay has many years left if they continue on this path. There are enough eTailers but not many options (that I know about) for auctions.

Ebay is going to lose sellers because of this. I just recently sold the LE of GTA 4. If someone wants to draw me a diagram of how to ship that beast out using only 4 bucks id be interested.

Lets see they limit shipping cost so you have to use media mail for heavier items, but than block people if their shipping time is lower than 4.3? Right now my shipping score is at 4.6 because i used media mail for some items. Save us google, you are our only hope!

wtf eBay. It's really becoming a buyer's market. Does anyone around here still use half.com? I used to post things on there back in the day... is it even viable anymore?

No money order or personal checks? Are they trying to kill the site with these new rules? That will basically leave the people w/o PP to buy from other sites.

As for $4 shipping, yeah, a lot of sellers are going to be pissed and leave the site for good after this is added.

[quote name='tangytangerine']
As for $4 shipping, yeah, a lot of sellers are going to be pissed and leave the site for good after this is added.[/quote]

To be honest, this isn't such a big deal to me, I've been charging $4.50 for first class for a while now, 50 cents won't be that big of a deal. I hope that some of the bigger sellers do get pissed and do leave ebay (I'm speaking about those who hide behind the "standard flat rate shipping" service and charge $7.95 for first class shipping), it's better for me in the long run.

[quote name='briansraregames']To be honest, this isn't such a big deal to me, I've been charging $4.50 for first class for a while now, 50 cents won't be that big of a deal. I hope that some of the bigger sellers do get pissed and do leave ebay (I'm speaking about those who hide behind the "standard flat rate shipping" service and charge $7.95 for first class shipping), it's better for me in the long run.[/quote]

ANYTHING that is over 13 oz's, you now take a loss on. It's ridiculous. They are FORCING you to lose money, and this isn't a big deal?

[quote name='schuerm26']ANYTHING that is over 13 oz's, you now take a loss on. It's ridiculous. They are FORCING you to lose money, and this isn't a big deal?[/quote]

It isn't a big deal if you primarily sell individual games in DVD/jewel cases, I guess. Of course, this is all part of their drive to get a bigger cut; if your item costs more than $4 to ship, you either have to use the shipping calculator or roll the extra cost into your auction price, which means that eBay gets to charge fees on it. That's why they're pushing so hard for sellers to offer free shipping. I fully expect that in the next year or two eBay will make "free" shipping mandatory, so they get a percentage of the entire transaction.

[quote name='schuerm26']ANYTHING that is over 13 oz's, you now take a loss on. It's ridiculous. They are FORCING you to lose money, and this isn't a big deal?[/QUOTE][quote name='MikeHoncho']Also how will they handle limited edition bundles of games. You can't ship a game like rock band or maybe even a new Mario Kart for $4. I charge $3.50 for shipping but that's on a normal DVD case style game, I do charge more for bigger stuff though and I hope this won't interfere with my sales[/QUOTE]
List your game as a video game system/accessory, set your own shipping rate.

fuck eBay. I'm writing them an email now. I'm NEVER selling on eBay again. fuck them. I'm going to Amazon. Let's go sellers! Now is our time to get the fuck out. eBay isn't stealing our money anymore!

[quote name='Access_Denied']fuck eBay. I'm writing them an email now. I'm NEVER selling on eBay again. fuck them. I'm going to Amazon. Let's go sellers! Now is our time to get the fuck out. eBay isn't stealing our money anymore![/quote]

You know, people keep talking about going to Amazon, but it doesn't sound like they're much better. They have high fees, and they put a lot of restrictions on sellers, too.

For some items amazon can get you better price. I am interst to see if the price on amazon will drop or the price on ebay will go up

[quote name='schuerm26']ANYTHING that is over 13 oz's, you now take a loss on. It's ridiculous. They are FORCING you to lose money, and this isn't a big deal?[/quote]

I mostly sell single dvd games, and my out of pocket cost is roughly $2.75 on a 6oz package, so there's still a cushion there. But right now, 50% of my business is international, and as far as i know, international shipping rates won't be affected (yet,) that's why I'm a bit more worried about the 4.3 minimum DSR (especially the shipping time DSR) than the shipping cap.

[quote name='briansraregames']I mostly sell single dvd games, and my out of pocket cost is roughly $2.75 on a 6oz package, so there's still a cushion there. But right now, 50% of my business is international, and as far as i know, international shipping rates won't be affected (yet,) that's why I'm a bit more worried about the 4.3 minimum DSR (especially the shipping time DSR) than the shipping cap.[/quote]

Im the same way but the changes that have happened in about 9 months are very disturbing. They are truly going in the wrong direction.

I am surprised Ebay allowed an extra $2.00 on the Vintage game section. I am curious to what they consider Vintage games.....................

[quote name='psiufoxx2']wtf eBay. It's really becoming a buyer's market. Does anyone around here still use half.com? I used to post things on there back in the day... is it even viable anymore?[/QUOTE]

I am starting to use it again after hearing about these new changes. If EBay is taking 15% for a FVF and then a Paypal fee, I am better off using Half that charges just a flat 15%. The only problem is you only get back $2.89 for shipping.

I find I can get higher prices on Half than EBay. One game I couldn't sell on EBay for $22, I saw on Half the lowest price was $34.99, I listed it for $30 and it sold in 2 days.

I still use half for buying and selling textbooks. It really pissed me off though when I sold a $90 textbook and they took $12, plus it cost me $7 to ship when I'm only being reimbursed about $3.

Yes, that 15% is true.

It really does look like they are desperate to get everyone to switch to fixed prices or "stores". They have a huge incentive with the low insertion fees on fixed priced sales.

I was planning on selling my entire music CD collection (about 200 CDs) and taking advantage of the 5 cent insertion fee thing. However, I see that is only for fixed price auctions. So basically, Ebay is giving me a big up-front incentive to list items at the higher than normal buy-it-now prices and then rape me for almost double the final value fees when it ends.

fuck that, I will just start the listings at 99 cents (10 cent insertion fee).

I have sold two things on Amazon in the past, so I checked that out again for selling CDs. Holy shit it would take me about 72 hours straight to list all of my CDs on there. How the hell do people have the time to list stuff on there? I can't go through searching for every single CD and clicking the sell button, then walking through the steps.

On the flip side, I would get about $20 shipped for a CD I sold for $20, which isn't bad.

bread's done
Back