Some game suggestions please?

Liberty1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I've got some considerable gaps here and there in the games I've played. I've had a 360 since 2006 and have played many games much newer than these, but I'm really just wondering what games here are really must play, have replay value and the like?

Games I'm considering that I haven't played:

Deadly Premonition
Enslaved
Nier
Assassin's Creed 2
Bayonetta
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
Bioshock 2
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Alan Wake

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I can tell you that SC:C, Alan Wake, and Bayonetta are all must plays

I havent tried the other ones but great list! (not sure about Nier tho, read bad things about that one)

1/2 your pics are FPS, the other 1/2 is single player platformer/action advs. If you get the single player games make sure you get them on Blackfriday sales or later, most of them are $9.99 - $19.99. Save a buck or two.

Also, I wouldn't recommend getting too many games at once. Especially AC2 and Darksiders at the same time, you might get sucked into one and just forget the other one. Dante's Inferno I heard was meh.

^ Dantes Inferno was meh, that is true, i was very excited for this game but ended up stopping halfway since the puzzles got stupid and the game lost its appeal for some reason....

[quote name='Liberty1']I've got some considerable gaps here and there in the games I've played. I've had a 360 since 2006 and have played many games much newer than these, but I'm really just wondering what games here are really must play, have replay value and the like?

Deadly Premonition
Enslaved
Nier
Assassin's Creed 2
Bayonetta
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
Bioshock 2
Alan Wake

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.[/QUOTE]

A lot of those games were/are great I will give my thoughts as far as what I have played. Enslaved is really good, I haven't finished it but am probably about 75% done and love it, I would consider it a must play. AC2 I liked much better than the first and think it was really well done, haven't tried the new AC: Brotherhood. I love dark and odd games but for me Dante's Inferno was really odd and a little bit too dark for me and I am a very dark and sadistic person or thought I was but I would try it and see if you like it. Bioshock 2 for me was absolutely wonderful, if you liked Bioshock 1 at all or even were interested in the game, Bioshock 2 is a must imho. Splinter Cell: Conviction for me was a let down, after playing every previous installment of the series I would say that Conviction was the worst for me. Alan Wake I love and adore, then again I am a huge fan of the developer and loved both of the Max Payne games as well, aside from my bias for the developer I believe Alan Wake is a great game that did not get the recognition it should at all, it is different and intriguing on many levels.

Deadly Premonition- Is AMAZING!
Enslaved- Are you into BDSM?
Nier- Near what?
Assassin's Creed 2- More like Assassins Crap #2 amirite?
Bayonetta- Get this.
Dante's Inferno- Dantes Peak with Pierce Bronsnan was a good movie.
Darksiders- No comment.
Bioshock 2- If you care for the story then you better have an HDTV to read stuff.
Splinter Cell: Conviction- No comment.
Alan Wake- Get this if you like Verizon ads. Get Deadly Premonition before to play this game.

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Deadly Premonition- Is AMAZING!
Enslaved- Are you into BDSM?
Nier- Near what?
Assassin's Creed 2- More like Assassins Crap #2 amirite?
Bayonetta- Get this.
Dante's Inferno- Dantes Peak with Pierce Bronsnan was a good movie.
Darksiders- No comment.
Bioshock 2- If you care for the story then you better have an HDTV to read stuff.
Splinter Cell: Conviction- No comment.
Alan Wake- Get this if you like Verizon ads. Get Deadly Premonition before to play this game.[/QUOTE]

Off topic but...EarthBound does not suck...that is blasphemy.

[quote name='Jabrim']Off topic but...EarthBound does not suck...that is blasphemy.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha ha ha ha! Earthbound should have been called 'Vacuum' for how much that game sucked!

"1/2 your pics are FPS" Not to be a dick, but huh? Bioshock 2 I suppose, but I'm not interested in the multiplayer of any game listed honestly.

And yes, I played the first Bioshock... the text being really small is a major concern of mine though.

Anyway, definitely going to be taking another look into Deadly Premonition and Bayonetta...

Thanks people.

?, I thought Splinter Cell had FPS elements in it as well and trying to be helpful. Not sure what warranted your response. My faux pas perhaps but certainly not dick response.

I have played all the previous Splinter Cell games as well, and hearing someone that is a fan of the series not liking the game makes me kinda iffy on that one... To me it looks like they took Splinter Cell and tried to make it into Arkham Asylum, lol.

And about Enslaved... one person loved it, another makes a BDSM comment, is bondage really that major of a theme in the game? If so, LOL.

Alan Wake sounds interesting, but I've heard that difficulty is non-existent and that it dosen't take long to play through...

I'm curious about the length of Deadly Premonition if anyone has a comment on that.

It's cool, I got mixed up since there was a few game suggestion threads that I responded to. For some reason I thought Alan Wake was FPS...I have Halo on the brain atm. Game on....and ME2 is awesome.

My favorite genre is RPGs for sure, but I already have most of the best ones covered: Fallout 3, New Vegas, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age, Borderlands and Tales of Vesperia.

Huge Oblivion fan but I no longer own it because I spent 300+ hours in the game and don't think I can ever bring myself to play it again, lol.

I've played Lost Odyssey and enjoyed it for a while, but the level caps made me really dread every fight once I stopped leveling up in that area. Really ruined the game for me.

Would like to know if I'm missing out on any other good RPGs, but I haven't seen much that looks interesting.

I can definitely recommend Bioshock 2. It's derivative but a good game in it's own way.

Haven't played any others, even though I've got Nier sitting on my coffee table right now. Just have to start playing it.

EDIT: If you haven't played Bioware's original Xbox RPG's, definitely check out Star Wars: KOTOR and Jade Empire, and if you like KOTOR, get KOTOR 2. Also Shenmue 2 is really, really good. All of these are backwards compatible with the 360 and should be super cheap, so go buy them if you don't have them already!

[quote name='Liberty1']I have played all the previous Splinter Cell games as well, and hearing someone that is a fan of the series not liking the game makes me kinda iffy on that one... To me it looks like they took Splinter Cell and tried to make it into Arkham Asylum, lol.

And about Enslaved... one person loved it, another makes a BDSM comment, is bondage really that major of a theme in the game? If so, LOL.

Alan Wake sounds interesting, but I've heard that difficulty is non-existent and that it dosen't take long to play through...

I'm curious about the length of Deadly Premonition if anyone has a comment on that.[/QUOTE]

In terms of Conviction, that is exactly what they did and to me, did it horribly. Alan Wake is very hard when you crank the difficulty up.

[quote name='Liberty1']I've got some considerable gaps here and there in the games I've played. I've had a 360 since 2006 and have played many games much newer than these, but I'm really just wondering what games here are really must play, have replay value and the like?

Deadly Premonition
Enslaved
Nier
Assassin's Creed 2
Bayonetta
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
Bioshock 2
Alan Wake

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Ok well I'm going to give my opinions on the games I've played.
Assassin's Creed 2-Huge improvement from the 1st one I really loved it.

Bayonetta-Really good I played it three times one Normal then Hard then last Infinite Climax to get all the achievements I'll say two is ok but 3 playthoughs is pushing it

Dante's Inferno-Playing this right now I've beat it once already.Game is not that long kinda short,but not to short.If you don't mind nudity you should get this game.If you don't wwant any nudity then trust me don't get this game it had lots of it.

Darksiders:Really good has a decent story and a decent amount to beat your first playthough

Bioshock 2:I personally loved the campaign,but hated the multiplayer like it was laggy I just hated it,but I ended up going to level 40

Alan Wake:Wow!Really good IMHO lots of collectibles plus it has already 2 DLC out.I would recommend it.

Splinter Cell:played a hour and didnt like it at all but it was my first game of these.

oh snap, no one mentioned Red Dead Redemption...that game's huge and it also just got some DLC which adds like another 6-8 hours of gameplay.

@Jason
Actually KOTOR is probably my favorite game EVER. I've played KOTOR2 and JE as well, although JE never interested me enough for a second playthrough.

Huge Bioware fan here.

About Dante's Inferno: No nudity dosen't bother me, but the sheer darkness of the game has me a little put off.

As for Alan's Wake: Not much into collecting things in games... To me it is an easy button to add more gameplay... I love to collect items I can use but not 200 of this and that...

Thanks people!

I don't own Red Dead Redemption, but it's probably my most wanted game right now. I enjoyed Gun (lol) so I had already decided RDR was a must by with the rave reviews it got.

I loved Red Dead Redemption, didn't even think about mentioning that. If you liked Western themed games which I love and there are far and few in between, try the Call of Juarez series they are pretty good.

[quote name='Liberty1']I have played all the previous Splinter Cell games as well, and hearing someone that is a fan of the series not liking the game makes me kinda iffy on that one... To me it looks like they took Splinter Cell and tried to make it into Arkham Asylum, lol.[/QUOTE]

I've yet to play Conviction, but if it's anything like B:AA, that's a good thing. Arkham Asylum is one of the 3 best games I've played this gen.

One of my other top 3 would be Assassin's Creed 2. Now admittedly, I'm partial to any time you get to straight stab dudes, but the traversal, the "Truth" puzzles and the over arching story just sucked me right in. Even the parts I liked the least (the Assassin's Tombs platforming levels) were challenging and well done.

As for Enslaved, it's good and I'm glad I played it, but I dont think it's GotY good. It's literally a rental as, even if you wanted to achievement chase, you'd only have to play through twice, once on easy to get the story and all the orbs/masks. Then on hard for the challenge (and last cheesemint). I just played through on normal and I feel I got enough out of the game.

Bayonetta is still a game that's on my GotY radar. The story was completely non-sensical, but I still found all the 'journal' pieces to fill in the backstory. The fighting of course is what this game is about and it feels good. The first time you fight "Grace and Glory" (and their upgraded forms "Gracious and Glorious") you'll think the game is cheating, but then you'll get the timing an feel like a real bad bitch.

Darksiders has all the makings of a good game and I cant say anything specifically bad about it. It is a video game ass video game though, meaning that pretty much every gaming trope is in there. Saying that's it's Zelda in "darker clothes", isnt incorrect. I liked what I played of it, but there was not a real hook for me and I petered out about halfway in. I keep saying I'm going to finish it, but it's not "calling" me.

As for Deadly Premonition, I didnt play the game but rather watched the dual Giant Bomb Endurance Runs. The story and atmosphere were great, though the game play looked clunky as hell. Watching the game though was so enjoyable that I went out and bought a new copy just to reward the developer for making such a wacky experience.

Rest of the games on your list I have no experience with.

[quote name='Liberty1']
[/QUOTE]
Uh, I made the comment on the name of the game itself. Enslaved. Slave. BDSM. Just put two and two together. My lame attempt at a joke. As I was typing, I forgot what Enslaved was all about. Now I remember: I like BDSM.

I don't remember any sexual innuendos in Enslaved that I can remember. I do find it kind of racy about the name they used for the male character and all, borders on racism but maybe I just thought the way they used it was odd.

@hostyl1: I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum. But I don't think that Splinter Cell trying to be AA is a good thing.

Definitely looking at Assassin's Creed 2... Already kinda figured on this as it is the highest profile game on the list.

@Earthbound Sucks
Yeah, I understand where you got it from, it's just that I don't know enough about the game to realize that you weren't actually talking about the game itself.

[quote name='Jabrim']I don't remember any sexual innuendos in Enslaved that I can remember. I do find it kind of racy about the name they used for the male character and all, borders on racism but maybe I just thought the way they used it was odd.[/QUOTE]

It's based on the chinese novel "Journey to the West". The main character is called "The monkey king".

Do people not read anymore?

[quote name='Liberty1']
@Earthbound Sucks
it's just that I don't know enough about the game to realize that you weren't actually talking about the game itself.[/QUOTE]
I'm in the same boat as you!

For Splinter Cell: Conviction, I'm on the other side of the fence. Myself, I could never get into the earlier games and as far as a Splinter games go, I loved Conviction. The thing is, it's different than the other games. The others were heavy on the stealth action, and while this does have some stealth, there's a lot more gunning than previous titles.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']It's based on the chinese novel "Journey to the West". The main character is called "The monkey king".

Do people not read anymore?[/QUOTE]

Actually I read quite often just not Chinese novels that end up being turned into video games.

bread's done
Back