Some help finding a good [beginner's] acoustic guitar?

SonikkuBlast

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
Well, after looking around a bit, I stumbled upon a $99 Suzuki Acoustic Guitar at Costco [Link] and a $80 Gibson guitar at Best Buy [Link]. So, I'm wondering - Which guitar is better? Personally, I'm leaning towards the Gibson (well-known name = better quality?) but my brother's telling me that the Suzuki is better. (plus there's always Costco's "extended warranty", should anything go wrong. ;))

If it helps - yes, I'm a beginner, and this will be my first guitar. All suggestions are welcome.

If you can, go into the store and use it before buying it. I bought my first one online and I wasn't at all happy with it. The head was tweaked so the bottom frets buzzed all the time, a couple small blemishes, and the frets were all jagged on the sides causing the 1st string to get stuck a lot.

I'd also recommend a nylon string acoustic for beginning. MUCH easier (and better sounds imo). Go to Guitar Center or a mom and pop shop.

that Gibson isn't really a gibson, and personally, I just wouldn't go for it. Suzuki I havn't heard of for guitars.

http://www.rondomusic.com/

I highly recommend Rondo, have had a bass and an electric guitar from t hem, and they were both great for the price (140 for the SX bass, 200 for the Agile guitar). SX is good, but Agile is worth the price increase if you can afford it...these are great choices for starter instruments. Both of mine came with the action setup pretty well too.

And Kurt's customer service there is great.

Alright, thanks. Guess I'll have to check out the music store downtown...

[quote name='Minger']that Gibson isn't really a gibson, and personally, I just wouldn't go for it. Suzuki I havn't heard of for guitars.

http://www.rondomusic.com/

I highly recommend Rondo, have had a bass and an electric guitar from t hem, and they were both great for the price (140 for the SX bass, 200 for the Agile guitar). SX is good, but Agile is worth the price increase if you can afford it...these are great choices for starter instruments. Both of mine came with the action setup pretty well too.

And Kurt's customer service there is great.[/quote]
You're right - just took a look at the "Gibson", and parts (the umm... fretboard?) of it seemed to be made of painted plastic. Blech! XD

Chances are you'd have to order it online because they're hard to find in stores but Seagull guitars are the best affordable accoustic guitars I've ever played.

I would highly recommend going to a pawn shop for your first. There may be one there that isn't a name brand, but due to ageing has made the wood change and therefore may give you a very good sound.

Also, pawn shops usually have tons of guitars and therefore will be willing to part with a cheaper one for a price lower than they are asking for just to make room. It would be easy to find an Ibanez or something of that nature for $99-$129 no problem. My dad plays an Ibanez acoustic and I love it. I've got an acoustic whoes name I can't even remember (it isn't a known brand) I got it for $50 off one of my high school buddies years ago and I love it.

I'm personally biased toward Yamaha, esp their cheaper nylon strings. I got a great yamaha for around $150 as my first guitar (and still have it).

As a beginner, things to look out for:
If you want to play mostly chords (strumming and singing songs), look for strings that are a little closer together.

If you want to play classical style, or fingerpick a lot of songs, look for strings that are slightly farther apart (in order to better get your fingers between strings).

Also, many cheap guitars are made poorly, so make sure you hold whatever you buy in your hands before you buy it. Nothing can kill a desire to learn guitar like a guitar that feels like crap when you hold it. It should take *some* effort to push down strings, but if your fingers start overly hurting quickly (esp on a nylon string) its probably the guitar, not you.

I also recommend the Shearer or Noad method for learning notes/technique (very worthwhile even if all you want to do is strum).

Good luck though!

when you fing the guitar you can afford or like, open the box and play it for a while. Have a friend that plays come along and try it out too.

Make sure that the one you try and like is the one you walk out with - because the quality or blemishies will vary from piece to piece.

[quote name='jpotell']I'm personally biased toward Yamaha, esp their cheaper nylon strings. I got a great yamaha for around $150 as my first guitar (and still have it).

[/quote]
Do you know its model number? I've been looking at a few Yamahas lately, but the $230+ ones my father seems to like are a bit out of my price range. (My max is ~$200-ish)

Scratch Seagull off your list then. Their cheapest are $300. But when you're ready to spend that much you won't find a better sounding acoustic guitar for less than double.

[quote name='SonikkuBlast']Do you know its model number? I've been looking at a few Yamahas lately, but the $230+ ones my father seems to like are a bit out of my price range. (My max is ~$200-ish)[/quote]
Adding on to this, I found a place running a special on Yamaha guitars. If you buy one, you get a Yamaha Axe Pack, supposedly an "$80 value". (More like $30.) It's a stand + gig bag + instructional DVD. Just nice to have something to start off with, y'know?

Anyway, is that pack + the guitar a good deal? Or is it really just nothing much? Does anyone have this guitar?

it's always going to be something questionable while picking out new gear - but you get used to it.

personally, the best acoustics i've played have been ibanez and ovations.. i'd definitely recommend trying before you buy one. don't worry about making a fool of your self - just see if it's comfortable.

also chances are most low end guitars are made in the same factory just to different specs.

check out harmonycentral.com

they get these questions over at their forums atleast 24 times a day. you will receive more input over there.

I've got a Fender DG8 value pack that I picked up from Guitar Trader a few years back. Came with a simple acoustic, bag, set of strings and an electronic tuning device. I've also got a nice capo for it and a handful of picks. I don't think I'll have enough time to get good with it for years. Let me know if you're interested in it. It sounds nice and seems pretty solid for the price. Here's a link to the picture of the package I got:

http://images.music123.com/products/full/Fender/acousticguitarF.jpg

I actually gave away the DVD that came with it once I was finished learning the basics, so I don't have that anymore. I also used the string pack, but strings are dirt cheap. I don't know anything about guitars, so if people here think it's crap you should get another one, but if it's okay I'd be happy to unload it for like $120 shipped. The capo is pretty new and was $20 by itself, so that's accounted for in the price.

EDIT: I also noticed that you're in the Bay Area. If you wanted to come by and check it out in Berkeley and like it, you could have it for $100 even.

[quote name='TahoeMax']I've got a Fender DG8 value pack that I picked up from Guitar Trader a few years back. Came with a simple acoustic, bag, set of strings and an electronic tuning device. I've also got a nice capo for it and a handful of picks. I don't think I'll have enough time to get good with it for years. Let me know if you're interested in it. It sounds nice and seems pretty solid for the price. Here's a link to the picture of the package I got:

http://images.music123.com/products/full/Fender/acousticguitarF.jpg

I actually gave away the DVD that came with it once I was finished learning the basics, so I don't have that anymore. I also used the string pack, but strings are dirt cheap. I don't know anything about guitars, so if people here think it's crap you should get another one, but if it's okay I'd be happy to unload it for like $120 shipped. The capo is pretty new and was $20 by itself, so that's accounted for in the price.

EDIT: I also noticed that you're in the Bay Area. If you wanted to come by and check it out in Berkeley and like it, you could have it for $100 even.[/QUOTE]

I also purchased this same value pack. I recommend you bring someone that can play guitar with you to the store. After hearing my friend play about 10 accoustics this Fender actually sounded the best to us for the price. We were looking for something around $200 as well.

Regarding the Gibson mentioned; the cheapest real Gibson guitar is the melody maker for $349 i believe. I'm saying real because it's a Gibson guitar made in the US.

bread's done
Back