Some new $3.99 PVD's at Blockbuster

GrilledWitOnions

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Disclaimer: Just so people are aware (who wouldn't be right? Me for some reason!), some of these such as United 93, Brokeback Mountain, and 16 Blocks can be had at the various big boxes this week; check out the ads for more info.

Today, there was a reprice of some pretty notable $9.99 Previewed DVD's to $3.99. Here are a few I remember:

Capote
Jarhead (Single Disc, and did Blockbuster get screwed up widescreen transfers?)
United 93 (Single Disc)
Thank You For Smoking
Ultraviolet
Brokeback Mountain
The Ringer
16 Blocks

They've had cheap dvd's for a while off and on, but usually selection sucks. I *might* be able to get the full list, but honestly, I don't think there was that much more to worry about.

My store has a bin for $3.99 DVD's as a well as a queue tower (near the registers). Also, there is still a 4 for $20 sale on PVD's $10 and under, but at these prices it's still $4 cheaper and you don't have to buy 4.

I'll be picking up Thank You For Smoking and United 93 tonight. Already have Capote, not sure on Jarhead since I heard the transfer was bad (only at blockbuster though?).

If I notice anything else worth mentioning, I'll post it, or if there is a huge demand for the rest of the list, I'll try to get it all, but again, the rest is pretty disappointing.

[quote name='darth007']Ty. It seems like this is $3.99 week for dvds. BB, CC, Target, and now Blockbuster all have $3.99 dvds.[/quote]Crap, I've not been checking ads 'cause money's tight; I just did repricing in my store so I knew of these. But now that I'm looking, United 93 is $2 more for a new copy at Target. :p Just bought it too (along with Thank You For Smoking). Oh well, discs are in good shape, all I'd be missing is a piece of paper inside, if that.

I thought of two more, which I have no idea if they are worth $4, but I'll add them to the OP: The Ringer and 16 Blocks.

[quote name='Brian9824']Mine also had Saw 2, Poseidon, and Silent Hill[/quote]Oh yah, Saw II has been cheap for a while now. Had no idea on Silent Hill though.

Does blockbuster still put that antitheft sticker crap on the disc? I haven't rented/bought anything from them in a couple of years because I hated that junk so much.

Went to my local Blockbuster a couple days ago and I didn't see any of these marked down. No special table or anything. I'm thinking perhaps they were just sold out, thought maybe it's a YMMV kind of thing?

[quote name='Moosejaw']Went to my local Blockbuster a couple days ago and I didn't see any of these marked down. No special table or anything. I'm thinking perhaps they were just sold out, thought maybe it's a YMMV kind of thing?[/quote]AFAIK, Blockbuster rarely does YMMV things. Perhaps yours is a Franchise, which I don't think plays by the same rules. Or maybe they are reallllly bad at pricing and doing the marketing stuff. If you can find one of the titles mentioned here, I'd ask someone to check the price in the computer.

BB does a managers special periodically, and it varies by store. My store has the buy 4 for $20 but $3.99 would be even better. I think its really odd that BB loads up on crap movies like "pemonition" but only gets 4 copies of "letters from iwo mura". So when they unload these en mass they have loads and loads of the movies that some of the copies will never get rented, and then they sell them in a bin to make room for other duds.

I guess the good news there is that you have a good chance of getting a dvd in new condition, that was never rented, when buying a clearanced out dvd. Good lookin out for the $3.99 dvds at any rate.

Well, I'm not sure what the deal is. A few months back, I saw a small clearance table that had things like "Good Night and Good Luck" (which I probably should have picked up for that price) and one of the "Saw" films for $3.99. Just a month or 2 ago, during the B2G2 deal, I remember seeing "Syriana" at the same table for $3.99. But when I went in last week to find some of the movies mentioned, the table was gone. There were some clearanced videogames around--nothing good, BTW--but no super-cheap movies to be found.

I did see some of the titles in the normal "used DVD" section, but they were their normal price--as high as $9.99.

[quote name='dracula']BB does a managers special periodically, and it varies by store. My store has the buy 4 for $20 but $3.99 would be even better. I think its really odd that BB loads up on crap movies like "pemonition" but only gets 4 copies of "letters from iwo mura". So when they unload these en mass they have loads and loads of the movies that some of the copies will never get rented, and then they sell them in a bin to make room for other duds.

I guess the good news there is that you have a good chance of getting a dvd in new condition, that was never rented, when buying a clearanced out dvd. Good lookin out for the $3.99 dvds at any rate.[/quote]Manager special stuff is YMMV, but these $3.99 dvd's are in the MAP, the marketing tool that every store uses. There are different kinds of stores for different areas, but I think the $3.99 DVD's are for every store that is corporate; not sure how franchises work.

And in regards to the crap Blockbuster gets, generally the majority of people want crappy movies. But this was not the case with Letters being short supplied; it was everywhere. We've heard nothing from anyone official, but my store has come to the conclusion that Warner wants to do more sales of Pay Per View, and is short supplying their movies to rental stores. (I am aware that the article says they aren't doing that, but I still think they are). Warner distributes Letters, which we received something like 6 copies of, The Painted Veil, alos a low number, and Astronaut Farmer, 6 copies. Our only compition in this town B&M wise is Hollywood, and they also received 6 Astronauts. My guess is Warner is doing VOD same day as the dvd hits shelves and is giving rental companies the cold shoulder.

Another thing to remember is that, as I understand it, Blockbuster can sometimes cut a deal where we ordered so many movies, but don't pay for each one, and then some of the rental revenue goes back to the supplier. We can later decide to buy the copies we already have, or return them for some sort of credit. I don't really understand why or how this works, but when Sin City was released, we had a large number of copies; a few weeks later, we we're shipping most back, leaving a small number on the shelves. There are so many weird things that happen with Blockbuster, it makes it really hard sometimes to see what they're doing.

[quote name='Moosejaw']Well, I'm not sure what the deal is. A few months back, I saw a small clearance table that had things like "Good Night and Good Luck" (which I probably should have picked up for that price) and one of the "Saw" films for $3.99. Just a month or 2 ago, during the B2G2 deal, I remember seeing "Syriana" at the same table for $3.99. But when I went in last week to find some of the movies mentioned, the table was gone. There were some clearanced videogames around--nothing good, BTW--but no super-cheap movies to be found.

I did see some of the titles in the normal "used DVD" section, but they were their normal price--as high as $9.99.[/quote] I got in on Good Night, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Capote the first time they did this, sometime around november I think. They recently did the Syriana drop as well, which I snagged; that was a couple months ago. This is the third time in my memory that they've had good movies dropped so low. I'd say ask the counter if the prices are corrent, to status their PVD's and make sure. I'd be surprised if it wasn't just a misprice.
Oh, and Saw II is still $3.99, and Syriana might be.

bread's done
Back