Some of you may remember my first post just over a year ago...

Demon-Xanth

CAGiversary!
...about my broken PS2. Looks like this isn't going to be just the first console I've ever had to send in for repair, but the first I've had to send in TWICE. Some disks take 3 or 4 tries to get it to read, other never read at all. None work problem free anymore.

I have the following alternatives:
Call Sony and pray for another free+$10 shipping repair. (and that it'll last longer than a year)
Buy a new PS2 and hope it doesn't break.
Buy a used/refurb PS2 and hope that it's not broken.
Attempt to fix it.

Opinions on the options?

I hate knowing that I paid $300 (just before the price drop) for a piece of crap that needs to be fixed yearly.

You can try to send it in and insist that they give you a refurb. Or you can send it in to get it fixed and when they send it back tell them it is still having the same problems and they will send you a shipping sticker and mail you a refurb for free.

Still miffed about the fact that it's almost 1 year to the day.

Consoles in my family that haven't needed repair:
NES
SNES
GB
GBA
GBA SP (2x)
GC (2x)
Genesis
DC
PSX
NGPC

Consoles that have needed repair:
2600 (after almost a decade of use, the power supply went out)
PS2 (twice)

Edit: can't forget the NGPC loving.

WTF? You still have to pay for shipping? That's some bull, especially since this is the second time you're sending it in.

[quote name='XboxMaster']WTF? You still have to pay for shipping? That's some bull, especially since this is the second time you're sending it in.[/quote]

at least they fix it for free, if it was the company you are a fanboy of it would be 99 dollars

only less if you get an attidude and the BBB involved

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='XboxMaster']WTF? You still have to pay for shipping? That's some bull, especially since this is the second time you're sending it in.[/quote]

at least they fix it for free, if it was the company you are a fanboy of it would be 99 dollars

only less if you get an attidude and the BBB involved[/quote]

Of course the Xbox doesn't have the asininely large failure rate to justify a free repair policy either....

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='XboxMaster']WTF? You still have to pay for shipping? That's some bull, especially since this is the second time you're sending it in.[/quote]

only less if you get an attidude and the BBB involved[/quote]

Damn, Casey, you're always Xbox hatin'. :wink:

Yeah, I know, I've had to send my Xbox in. Microsoft is definitely worse, but did I say it was better than Sony in my above post? No. :D

[quote name='zewone']^^^Explain this less and BBB involved. I would love to have my Xbox fix for less than $99.[/quote]

Same as any company... if you bitch loud enough and frequently enough.. eventually you'll get something out of them.

[quote name='zewone']Oh. I thought it would be simplier than that. I hate bitching to companys. Well, I might have to try it unless I can find a Halo Xbox which I'll just buy instead of fixing old one.[/quote]

If you call the BBB and tell them you are not pleased with the way MS is handling your problem, they will contact them. Then you will recieve a call or e-mail from MS telling you they will fix the system for 50 dollars instead of 99.

As with soap, lather, rinse, repeat. Some have gotten their system fixed for free, some have been told they would not budge from 50 where as others would knock it down to 25.

And XboxMaster, I do not dislike the Xbox, but I feel people think it is better than what it actually is. When almost all the great games are on the PC or on PS2 as well it is hard for me to justify its greatness. That said I will probably get one for Christmas for the sole reason of online CAPCOM fighters and Guilty Gear online, that is if I do not get an MVS instead

Cost me $5.26 to have it shipped to them.

Rarely does any warrentee work anywhere pay the shipping fees (from you to them) unless it was broken out of the box, and then it's even a maybe. At my work we have $250,000 machines, and I don't think we pay to have them shipped to us. But shipping back is usually paid for. (and as is in my case)

bread's done
Back