Some positive future Zelda info

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
GDC 2007: Eiji Aonuma on Zelda Franchise
The director of Twilight Princess says that much more is possible for the next Wii Zelda.
by Matt Casamassina

March 8, 2007 - The name Shigeru Miyamoto is synonymous with the Mario franchise, but these days gamers have also come to know the name Eiji Aonuma. Nintendo's game director, who helmed such titles as Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess, has created some of the most compelling Zelda titles ever made and is currently working on the DS effort Phantom Hourglass. We recently sat down with Aonuma and chatted candidly about the future of the Zelda franchise.

Nintendo has stressed repeatedly that with Wii it wanted to develop a console that anybody could enjoy and to that end it has also developed a library of games that are simply and easily approachable. Aonuma, however, dismissed the notion that going forward Nintendo would downplay the relevance of epic titles such as Zelda and instead focus its energies on casual-style games.

"Nintendo has come out with games like Wii Sports and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. They're both very different games and the experiences are completely different, but they are both produced by Miyamoto-san," Aonuma said. "It's not as though one is better than the other -- it's just that the overall experiences are very different. They're both fun in their different ways. So it's not as though Nintendo's heading into a more simplified direction. It's all about balance."

With more than a million copies of Twilight Princess sold on Wii in America alone, it's no secret that the franchise is as viable today as it was when Ocarina of Time debuted years ago. And for almost as many years, Aonuma has captained the Zelda charge at Nintendo, but will he continue to be the go-to-guy for all things Hyrule?

"I'm 43 and I'll be 44 very soon so as game creators go I'm kind of up there," he said, laughing. "I'm hoping to nurture those below me and train them to become Zelda creators as well."

Aonuma indicated that Twilight Princess, for as good as it was, is just the tip of the iceberg for what can be done to the franchise on Wii.

Said Aonuma: "Twilight Princess was created for the GameCube first and the Wii version came later. When we approached Twilight Princess and added the Wii compatible features, we tried to take advantage of the initial key features of the Wii, like the pointer and the motion sensor -- because it was a launch title. But moving forward, as we get more used to using the Wii controllers and we get more used to developing for the Wii, you can probably expect even more deeper controls."

Some critics have complained that Twilight Princess played and looked too similar to Ocarina of Time. We asked Aonuma if that was a design choice.

"No, it wasn't my intent at all to make something that looked like or played like Ocarina of Time. I wanted to create something that exceeded Ocarina of Time so that could be why it might seem similar. And some of the staff that worked on Ocarina of Time also worked on Twilight Princess, so that might have impacted it as well. But my goal was to create something new," said Aonuma.

Quizzed on whether or not there is room for visual improvement to the Zelda series on Wii, Aonuma responded: "With the Wii version of Twilight Princess, I was creating the Wii version of a GameCube game and wanted to make them similar, so I didn't use the Wii graphics capability to its full capacity. We could actually do a lot more with that and I'm looking forward to doing that."

We asked Aonuma why Twilight Princess didn't feature an orchestral soundtrack.

[/b]"i think you're probably talking about the comment I made at E3 about using fully orchestrated background music for Zelda. [Omitting that] was actually a conscious decision we had to make because of development timing," said Aonuma. "It's something that Kondo-san [the game's composer] is very frustrated about -- he really wishes we could have implemented that. So I'm hoping you'll look forward to that in future Zelda games."

Finally, we brought up a common gripe: the lack of any major voice acting in Twilight Princess. Unlike orchestral music, which Nintendo seems intent on doing for future games, the company is not yet convinced that characters should talk.

"In regard to voice acting, I made a conscious decision not to give Link a voice because Link is actually the player and to give him a voice would alter the experience for the player so I don't think that that will happen anytime soon. Unless, of course, it benefits the gameplay. It's all about gameplay, so it if benefits the gameplay then we would definitely consider including voice acting," Aonuma said. "There are many games out there that use voice recording and for me, if I were to choose to include voice acting in a Zelda game, it would have to change the game dramatically and make other people realize that it's a completely new way of using voices."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/771/771715p1.html

i wonder how far they can take the Wii graphically?

Better graphics is all that game needs.
I really am curious to see what the Wii can do. (but not that curious)

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i wonder how far they can take the Wii graphically?[/quote]

For all that people complain about the Wii being two Gamecubes duct-taped together, the GC had one hell of a beautiful game in Resident Evil 4(Cutscenes rendered realtime, baby!). Since the Wii is more powerful, I expect they can push things quite far. Far enough that we don't care.

[quote name='Rasen']For all that people complain about the Wii being two Gamecubes duct-taped together, the GC had one hell of a beautiful game in Resident Evil 4(Cutscenes rendered realtime, baby!). Since the Wii is more powerful, I expect they can push things quite far. Far enough that we don't care.[/quote]Indeed Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful game, still play it as a matter of fact, Twilight Princess I thought was beautiful as well-coulda been better looking-but was still beautiful IMO. I would go as far as to call it "art" even. :D

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']

i wonder how far they can take the Wii graphically?[/QUOTE]

As far as developers are able to fully use every nook and cranny. there are some NES titles that came out at the end of its lifespan that looked passable as first gen snes grahics.

[quote name='MarkMark']As far as developers are able to fully use every nook and cranny. there are some NES titles that came out at the end of its lifespan that looked passable as first gen snes grahics.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Look at something like God of War II compared to a PS2 launch title.

With the Wii, the differences between launch titles and those that come out near the end of the cycle should be even more profound due to the control scheme. I have no doubt that they'll be able to push a lot more out of the console as time goes on, and not just graphically.

One need only look at the Mario Galaxy trailer to get a feel for what the Wii can do. It might not be HD, but wow, is it gorgeous looking at this point.

As long as they keep Zelda away from photorealism and into a district and defined style (which I'm sure they will), they can make it incredible. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Nintendo to see what they've already got up-and-running.

And can I get 3 cheers for no voice acting? Playing Sonic, and revisiting Ninja Gaiden Black has reminded how almost deterimental to a game voice acting can be.

[quote name='daroga']
And can I get 3 cheers for no voice acting? Playing Sonic, and revisiting Ninja Gaiden Black has reminded how almost deterimental to a game voice acting can be.[/quote]

True in some cases but not all. I'm sure someone more argumentative will try to jump on you for saying that.

[quote name='dastly75']True in some cases but not all. I'm sure someone more argumentative will try to jump on you for saying that.[/quote]I've got no argument that it can be done well (I think Halo and Resident Evil 4 were pretty solid on their voice acting), but it's so much more difficult to do it well, and is much rarer. If effort and money is going to be put into it, ok, but if it's going to be an afterthought as it seems it is in most games, no thanks.

Personally, I'd rather they invest the resources into one extra dungeon in the next Zelda rather than have voice actors.

Where'd the "I prefer synthesized to orchestral music" people go? I remember some people claiming they were happy with the way the music was presented, and it sounds like not even the composer or the team were happy about it :roll:

[quote name='pete5883']Where'd the "I prefer synthesized to orchestral music" people go? I remember some people claiming they were happy with the way the music was presented, and it sounds like not even the composer or the team were happy about it :roll:[/quote]I don't really have an opinion either way, but I was reading an interesting article regarding the future of video game music going back to MIDI, simply for the dynamic nature of it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/08/midi-is-the-future-of-game-audio/

In a surprising discussion, Dolby's Jason Page admitted that the future of video game music may be based in technology that's considered antiquated by most: MIDI. Many developers have been moving away from MIDI to pre-recorded, orchestrated background music, but in the process, the interactivity of game music has been sacrificed.

The incredible processing power of the next-generation consoles has changed the rules of MIDI: gone are the days where MIDI sounds like R2-D2 singing. MIDI samples used by consoles can be just as good, if not better, than the samples used on dedicated synthesizers. Because MIDI loads in real-time, it retains the interactivity that composers like Koji Kondo would need, and it would allow games to load more quickly.​

MIDI in the next-generation could potentially retain the same fidelity that an orchestrated score might have. With the increasing need for interactive 5.1 and 7.1 music and audio in games, the sound of "chip music" may change quite drastically in this new console generation.​

I'm so sick of people complaining about Zelda not using voice acting. There is no way it could possibly be done right. For one thing, the characters would need to speak Hylian...

But yeah. Only major fucking morons want voice acting in Zelda, and I'm sick of hearing about it.

And indeed, I don't think it needs an orchestral soundtrack. As mentioned about, it wouldn't by able to maintain the dynamics that are possible with MIDI.

The next Zelda: something for you to lust over until its release, when it then becomes something for the 'cred'-minded, ungrateful gamer to nitpick/trash.

Doesn't make the former any worse than the latter, and it doesn't make us "'cred'-minded" for pointing out that there are too many rupees and not enough Iron Knuckles.

My point is that everyone was seriously jonesing* for Twilight Princess, finally getting the 'realistic' Zelda game that they felt they were slighted back in 2003 with, and once they got it, they pretty much immediately were clamoring for the 'timeless' stylings of The Wind Waker.** I call it "The Phantom Menace Effect": hardcore fans want to differentiate themselves from popular opinion, so they do whatever it takes to distinguish themselves, even if this means celebrating a consensus 'weak link' (ha!) and/or reversing their own evaluation of it.

Twilight Princess will be vigorously defended when Nintendo decides to revert back to the 'li'l Link' cel-shaded aesthetic for the next game, as people will wistfully long for its 'flawed but ambitious' quest. You know what? Sometimes, you gotta say "fuck Nostalgia".

*--You know, as in (over)grown men bursting into tears at the E3 trailer?

**--Or just hopelessly and eternally stuck with Ocarina of Time as the insurmountable 'bar'.

and then theres always those people that stick with their opinions

I wouldn't mind a game with wind waker style but twilight princess depth and dungeons

I'm all for voice acting in Zelda, but only if they can get the voice actors from The House of the Dead to do it.

/end sarcasm

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I'm so sick of people complaining about Zelda not using voice acting. There is no way it could possibly be done right. For one thing, the characters would need to speak Hylian...[/QUOTE]

I don't want voice acting in Zelda, but if they did add it, it would be interesting if the characters did speak Hylian. Panzer Dragoon Orta pulled off voice acting with the language of the world in which it's set (it was subtitled in English), so it would probably work in a Zelda game if they chose to do it; of course, no voice acting would be better, especially for Link.

As much as I like games to talk to me, I've been trained to speed-read by old-school RPGs, and I feel that more often than not I end up skipping through all the dialogue I can skip through in games, even if it's really good. In case of Final Fantasy X, I am most annoyed by the fact that the game doesn't let me skip the text and am generally quite grateful for any 'silent' characters that don't ramble on and on with shitty overdramatacised voice acting.

Now, I recall seeing something about The Legend of Zelda Wii on Wikipedia a long time ago, but it has since been removed. From what I understand, Zelda is going to get a Wii exclusive sometime in late stages of the console. Any information that one might have on this would be appreciated.

Last but not least, I'd like to once again say that beautiful games don't necessarily have the most polygons. Shadow of the Colossus, Wind Waker, and Metroid Prime games all involve clever trickery to make them look amazing while minimizing processing power. While I am not undermining the importance of raw, physical power, I must say that creative programming choices only aid the focal point of all them pixels on the screen.

Chalk me up as another who doesn't really want voice acting.

1. Most of the time it sucks.

2. A lot of times I play late at night and have the volume pretty low so as to not bother my roommate or neighbors so sometimes the voices can be hard to hear.

If they did do voice acting, I think Nintendo, more than any other company out there, is likely to make sure it's great. Just look at the Metal Gear Solid series: it's had great voice acting for ten years now. There's no reason at all for Nintendo to be unable to do that.

Of course, I'm a proponent of the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus route, with voice acting in a fictional language. I also think they SHOULD keep Link silent, and just make everyone else speak, real language or not.

As for the article as a whole, I would really not want to have to be the next Zelda that has to come after Twilight Princess. Talk about a hard act to follow.

[quote name='The Crotch']
Some of that stuff had me writhing in a cage of torment, though the writing was at least partly to blame. That, and the fact that I spent most of the game chasing after an even shorter version of Napoleon. And the fact that, despite the fact that I'm in Spain, notes detailing the villain's master plans are left everywhere in plain English. Oh, and...[/quote]

Did you read that Something Awful Let's Play Resident Evil 4? That was some fantastic stuff.

And I'm sure the Wii can put out some great graphics. I mean look at what the Xbox was delivering toward the end of its life.

Wouldn't all the audio files for voice acting with an epic game like Zelda take up a lot more disc space? Definitely not worth it if we had to sacrifice any other aspect of the game...

[quote name='Cisco327']Wouldn't all the audio files for voice acting with an epic game like Zelda take up a lot more disc space? Definitely not worth it if we had to sacrifice any other aspect of the game...[/quote]

I think the expense of paying decent actors to do a good job is unwarranted. I'd rather they put more work into the soundtrack.

bread's done
Back