Some questions about GameFly

TheInfiniteAmmo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've been thinking about subscribing to GameFly.

Before I take the plunge, however, I need some background info.

Any CAGs use GameFly? Is the $15.65 (or whatever) a month for 1 game worth it? Is turnaround quick?

Also, any deals on it? Free trial month or two, or what have you?

I'm sure I could get some answers from GF's site, but honestly? I trust CAG a whole lot more than some corporate line.

Thanks!

-IA

Wrong place for this.

But otherwise, yes it is. Some people have had bad experiences with while others have had no problems at all, so just keep that in mind. & turnaround time is mostly based on how closely you live to a major city. Being right in the middle of NYC, usually took 1-2 days for games to arrive.

& there is a trial of 10 days or something, not sure.

I recently did a one month trial for GameFly - a guy on a site I use needed a final referral for a site that gave you an Xbox 360 once you did enough offers or referred people who did offers. It was $8.95 for one month, a single game out at a time.

I only got to rent TWO games in that time. The first, Super Paper Mario, just wasn't for me, so I put it back in the mail a few days later - it took about 7 days for me (I live in MN, the nearest GF place was in PA) for the game to get to them and another game to get to me. So for me, no, turnaround wasn't that quick. When I had signed up and read the rules, they said they usually tried to ship to you when they received word from the USPS that the game was coming back - this really didn't happen.

In my opinion, GameFly isn't bad if you have time to commit to gaming and if you have the money, but for me it just wasn't worth it - I was glad to be done with it, because by the time I got my second game, I only had 8 days or so left in my trial.

I remember there once was a free trial for a month, but I personally am not aware of it anymore - the deal I was shown was $8.95 for the month, then $12.95 or so after for a few months. Normal rate is $15.95, as you said. For 2 games at a time, it's $22.95 - I'm sure you can rent from a game store for cheaper.

One thing I will say is GameFly does have some good deals (very few, though) if you want to keep the used games - and if you buy, they'll send you the manual/case - but when you rent, you just get the disk. I don't feel it was worth it, but it's totally up to you. I got paid $50 (no lie) to do the trial for the guy so he could get his Xbox 360 Elite off that site, so maybe if you knew someone who used a site like that, you could get them to pay for the $8.95 and get a free month of rentals, so they get a referral. Or if you want to use those sites, sign up and then do the GameFly trial - might be better than just flat-out going to GameFly and doing the trial... if you have friends that will do the trials as well and help you earn a gaming system, that is :p.

They also give out coupons once in a while too.

It was a good service for when I was reviewing games for my college newspaper.

GF has saved me a ton of money over the last two years. As others have said, it really helps if you are close to distribution center. If not, the turnaround can really blow. Plus, it's really, really tough to get newly released games....or even games that are popular and have been out awhile. Still, I get to play a lot of games that I normally wouldn't have. And if you are lucky enough to get them to send you a newly released game, and you like it, the Keep It price is usually pretty good, especially if you have a $5 reward coupon in your account (you get these every few months).

In the 6 months I have had Gamefly, the money I have saved in renting versus buying has already made the subscription pay for itself.

Games take anywhere from 3-5 days to get to me (time from returning one game to receiving the next).

I have only had one problem with the service, caused by a Postal Worker stealing two games that I was returning. Now I only return the games by putting them in one of the big blue bins in my neighborhood or dropping them off directly at the post office.

If you can afford it, buy a year's subscription gift certificate, as it saves you some money instead of paying month to month. Worth every penny.

I had two games lost in the mail recently, too, and I dropped them in a box. You'd love to think that they simply just lost in transit, but part of me wonders if there is some mailman with a ton of Netflix and GF envelopes in his house. It has happened before, unfortunately. Needless to say, I don't put anything in that box, anymore. I just hope nothing else gets lost, or else they will likely terminate my sub.

The only time I really wished I had a subscription to something like this is release time. Other than that it's a waste of time to me. If they had something flexible where I could temporally stop my subscription til I wanted to use it again I'd be more than willing.

bread's done
Back