Some wi-fi hotspot connection questions...

daikaiju

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
A few questions concerning wi-fi networks etc...

First off...seems as if I've found an unsecure wi-fi network in my area which I can connect to. A few questions...

1. Is there a way to determine who the wi-fi network belongs to?

2. Can a wi-fi op view the traffic / mail / etc sent over it in some way?

3. Is it possible to locate the users connected to the wi-fi network?

I'm not contemplating anything immoral or illegal or anything...it's more curiousity than anything else. In fact, I'd maybe be willing to chip in on the splitting costs to make it even faster if I could find the owner!

1. Probably not, unless they use their name for the SSID. If you had a directional antenna you could try to figure out exactly where it was coming from.

2. Yes, but if someone's running an insecure network, they're likely not. Secure websites and passwords will still be encrypted, btw.

3. Probably not. In a business environment it's a little easier because you can tell which access point is connected to, so you'd know there's someone being naughty in a third floor office, or first floor reception area. If you only have one omnidirectional wireless router for your whole network, that'll be tricky.

ok...so that brings me to THIS question...

HOW do ops view things such as instant messages, webcams, emails, site browsing and things of that nature? Is there some sort of app that is used?

I guess...if it's someones personal wi-fi account...say, run from their bedroom or something, how would they glean this information?

bread's done
Back