Someone beat SM64 with ONE star in 9 minutes.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Talk about ways you save money or anything else you wish, as long as its NOT GAMING OR SHOPPING RELATED.

kthx[/QUOTE]

BUY A VIBRATOR!

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']When I was a kid, I thought Mario said "So long gay Bowser."
I was immature and still am because I still heard that.[/QUOTE]
Dude, you're not alone because that's what I heard too back then, and it STILL sounds like "gay Bowser" to me.

Oh and that vid was straight-up Mario molestation. Nice find, OP. :applause:

[quote name='Kayden']i feel so inadequate.[/QUOTE]

I already promised to keep the lights off next time. :( Would you get over it already?

[quote name='elwood731']Lame seems about right to me. It reminds me of that SMB3 quick run that was done all on emulator, as this one was. If someone had really run the last few levels like that I would be impressed, but considering they ran it basically frame by frame (because no one could run it like that), I am far less impressed. Quick run videos used to be fun to watch, because they showed real skill. Now, they're just people showing off that they have too much free time to screw with emulators, which is less fun, and, well, kind of lame.[/QUOTE]

Obviously this is an ages old debate, but that video took a LOT of skill. A totally different type of skill than playing through the game well normally, but still - using an emulator to try to perfect a game is not easy. Anyway, at least read this: http://tasvideos.org/WhyAndHow.html

Excerpt:
Perfection is not easy.
Yes, using the tools makes playing easy ― but we do not just play here.

We attempt to perfect the games to a godly level of precision, which involves handling the game as if it were The Matrix ― observing every slightest detail to gain control over it in ways that the makers never imagined. We search for perfection.
To reach that goal, using the features provided by an emulator is irrelevant, as long as the “world” – the game – is unmodified.

It is a massive undertaking to produce a good tool-assisted movie. Sure, anyone can undo when they make a mistake ― but who can spot the error that causes 0.1 seconds of delay in the movie? Who can spot and abuse bugs in games to do seemingly unearthly maneuvers?

Note: Creating good tool-assisted movies has little to do with playing games well. Only a few players that are skilled in real-time play have the will to create good tool-assisted movies (patience and determination count instead of real-time skills), and only a few players that make good tool-assisted movies are truly skillful in real-time playing (almost always in a different game). Bisqwit, for example, does not do well at Mega Man games, although he is the author of the sensational tool-assisted Mega Man movie.

[quote name='Backlash']Obviously this is an ages old debate, but that video took a LOT of skill. A totally different type of skill than playing through the game well normally, but still - using an emulator to try to perfect a game is not easy. Anyway, at least read this: http://tasvideos.org/WhyAndHow.html

Excerpt:[/QUOTE]
It's not really an "ages old debate" by any stretch of the imagination. One way of playing takes skill, and one way is little more than video editing, which I suppose takes some skill, but nowhere the amount the other does. It's the equivalent of turning on God mode in a game and making a run through it. Might be sort of "neat," but it requires little skill and in no way impresses me. It's akin to cheating at Monopoly and then bragging about how you controlled all the railroads, Boardwalk, and Park Place. So what? You cheated to do it. Might be an accomplishment at some level, but isn't really "skilled."

I disagree. I know I couldn't go through those Bowser levels with that degree of skill even using an emulator, and I doubt you could either. The route he takes and jumps he makes are incredible - I would not have thought of doing some of those.

Some games have more evidence of really interesting routes and neat manuevers than others, and this one doesn't really impress as much as other tool-assisted videos. The most interesting thing about this one is the abuse of glitches to skep so many "mandatory" parts of the game, and it's not especially cool to watch. But we can agree to disagree.

Also, I guess I meant I see this debate all over the place for the last few years, so it just seems old :(

Tool assisted though it may be, It's made me want to break that game out again. My N64 has gone neglected for quite a while.

bread's done
Back